Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: What's the purpose of SATA IDE Combined Mode?

Default What's the purpose of SATA IDE Combined Mode?

As you can see from this photo of my BIOS, I have something called "SATA IDE Combined Mode"

What I've found is

1) with this mode enabled, any IDE devices connected to the IDE connector are shown under IDE Master/Slave in the BIOS. With it disabled they don't. Either way there is still a "Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller" in (Windows 7 x64 Ultimate) Device Manager and the devices are installed and usable. However, after disabling this mode, when Windows booted it detected two new devices and installed new drivers but still showed the same "Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller".

2) with this mode enabled, a SATA HDD connected to the SATAII_5 port is shown in Device Manager as attached to the
    "Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller" not the "Standard AHCI 1.0 Serial ATA Controller". If I connect it to SATAII_1 port, it does show as connected to the "Standard AHCI 1.0 Serial ATA Controller". I haven't tested with the Combined mode disabled and it connected to the SATAII_5 port yet.

3) with this mode enabled, I got a BSOD every time I launched Plex Media Server. The main thing this does is scan certain folders and create a database of media files but no other intensive HDD activity, such as defragging, caused any problems. With this mode disabled, Plex seems to be OK now.

So it seems that this mode connects the SATA and IDE ports in some way but I can't understand what possible reason or benefits might want someone to do this, particularly as it seems to cause problems. Does anyone know anything about this?

themaster1 is offline Junior Member

Default Re: What's the purpose of SATA IDE Combined Mode?

it's for ODD (optical disk drive) mainly i believe

Many dvd/blu ray players use a sata cable but are actually controlled like old pata (Ide) drives.

What i know for certain is that when i disable the "combined mode" my blu ray player is not working properly, it is detected (actually sometimes yes/sometimes not) but can't play anything properly: dvd, blu ray, data disk.

The other possibility (i think i've read that in the manual of my mobo) is to make a RAID for pata drives (you'd need an adapter ide->sata anyways)

Interesting. Seems strange though as many motherboards don't have this setting or even an IDE connector anymore, so the SATA ODD must work with those OK. I've got a couple of other PCs (one has an IDE connector that I don't use, the other doesn't have one) with only SATA HDD/ODD and don't have any problems with them.

I'll have to test the SATA ODD I've got connected to this board with Combined mode disabled to see if it works.

I had a reply from Asrock about the SATA IDE Combined Mode

"As far as I know, SATA IDE Combined Mode is to improve compatibility with some old OS (before XP)."

but he's going to check that with his colleagues in Taiwan. It doesn't really explain how the SATAII_5 port can get moved to the IDE controller from the AMD SATA AHCI controller, so hopefully some more information will be forthcoming.

themaster1 is offline Junior Member

after more tries today my odd is working without the sata ide combined mode enabled...i don't know what to say

Thread Information