Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Problem with LAN port on ASRock B85M-ITX

nwcyclist is offline Junior Member

Default Problem with LAN port on ASRock B85M-ITX

Hello! I recently purchased the ASRock B85M-ITX motherboard, but when I installed I was disappointed to find out that the LAN port doesn't work. An orange light comes on when I plug in the ethernet chord, but I believe there's supposed to be a green light that comes on as well. I don't think it's an issue with the OS because I don't think the BIOS can access the internet either. When I tried Using the Easy Driver Installer feature It came up with no drivers. I don't want to return it until I know that I can't fix it myself.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Problem with LAN port on ASRock B85M-ITX

No drivers found... perhaps due to using Windows XP? As listed in your PC specs?

Your board's download page has no drivers for XP or Vista, mainly because many of the features on your CPU and B85 chipset have driver support only for Windows 7 and 8.

At some point, XP will be left behind, and for Intel, that point in time is now.

An XP driver for your Qualcomm Atheros AR8171 LAN chip can be found here: Download Qualcomm Atheros AR8171/8175 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.20) for all Windows Versions

Have you been able to install any drivers on that board with XP? Just the INF files for example? You may never find XP compatible drivers for all the features your CPU and board provides. Check Device Manager for problem devices. Good luck.

Linux drivers of course must be taken care of yourself.

nwcyclist is offline Junior Member

I was using Windows xp, and the drivers wouldn't support that I guess. I was able to find a broken laptop lying around with an intact hard drive with windows 7 on it, and that seemed to have solve the problem. I still wasn't able to use the easy driver install feature, and I had to install a dvd drive just so I could install the drivers.

Dear nwcyclist,

Intel 8 series M/B doesn't support Windows XP.
    Please kindly install Windows 7 or 8 as your operating system.

The LAN works normally under Windows 7 and 8.

Thanks!

Have a nice day
    ASRock TSD
    Emily

Thread Information