Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Floppy disappears in Win7 when using external docking bay

Default Floppy disappears in Win7 when using external docking bay

I have an Orico 6518SUS3 External Docking Bay...

Amazon.com: ORICO 6518SUS3 Tool Free 2.5 " & 3.5 " USB3.0 & eSATA SATA Hard Disk Drive HDD Docking Station External Enclosure (6518 USB3.0 & eSATA Dock): Computers & Accessories

I use it for two of my 1TB hard drives that I cannot put inside my machine.

Whenever I plug it into either one of my USB ports (2.0 or 3.0), My floppy icon disappears from the My Computer window whenever I boot up Windows 7 with my docking bay already activated. The floppy drive controller still shows up in my Device Manager, but the floppy drive itself does not. I can't access the floppy even though it is still enabled in my Z77 Extreme6 UEFI. Strangely enough, I have no such trouble with my floppy in Windows XP.

How do I keep my floppy from disappearing whenever I have to restart Win7 while my docking bay is active?
    Last edited by CookyMonzta; 07-15-2013 at 01:09 PM.

Default Re: Floppy disappears in Win7 when using external docking bay

UPDATE: It turns out my floppy icon is now disappearing (along with access to the floppy drive) whenever I plug ANYTHING into my USB ports; whether it be an external hard drive enclosure or a USB flash drive. The problem is limited to Windows 7.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Try disabling HPET in the BIOS, may be called ACPI HPET Table, in the ACPI Configuration screen.

Or check Device Manager for any IRQ conflicts between the floppy drive and the USB controller.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    Try disabling HPET in the BIOS, may be called ACPI HPET Table, in the ACPI Configuration screen.
    No good.

Or check Device Manager for any IRQ conflicts between the floppy drive and the USB controller.
    Incident first occurred during the middle of last week. No visible sign of any conflicts that I can detect, assuming that I'm looking in the right places.

UPDATE: I performed deep system restorations with 2 disk images I had; one from July 1 on my Master Backup drive, and another from April 27 on a Blu-ray disc. In each case the floppy drive icon still disappeared from the My Computer folder and my Device Manager whenever I reboot to Win7 with a USB storage device still activated and plugged into one of my USB ports (such an occurrence was never the case on 4/27 or 7/1). The presence of a USB storage device does not affect the presence of the floppy in WinXP.

Something has inexplicably changed, and I'm not sure I can pinpoint it unless I go poking around in the registry; and even then I'm not so sure that I will be successful.
    Last edited by CookyMonzta; 07-16-2013 at 08:32 AM.

Something indeed changed, and I didn't know that it would affect Win7 this way. Took me long enough to discover the problem and the solution. But then again, better late than never.

For as long as I had this board and this latest build, on the UEFI screen BOOT OPTION PRIORITIES, I had my boot priorities set this way:

1. Primary hard drive (where Windows 7 resides)
    2. Blu-ray burner
    3. Floppy drive

As it turns out, unlike WinXP, Win7 checks the UEFI boot order quite literally. With this setup, the order in which it checks for storage devices is probably C, D, E, F and so on. And it NEVER rolls back to check for A! If a USB device is already plugged in before a boot or reboot, the floppy will be excluded, and will not show up in Win7. WinXP always checks for A first, and that is why it is always recognized by WinXP.

So, I asked myself, what if I changed the order in which my machine checks for an OS or any boot software, and put the floppy first?

1. Floppy drive
    2. Primary hard drive
    3. Blu-ray Burner

I rebooted with a USB drive plugged in, and Win7 recognized the floppy and it appeared in the Explorer alongside my other drives.

So, with regard to the Z77 Extreme6 motherboard, for Win7 to recognize the floppy upon reboot while a USB device is plugged in, the floppy must ALWAYS be set to NUMBER ONE in boot priority. If not, it will disappear from Win7 and will be inaccessible until the USB drive is unplugged before the next reboot. If set to number 1 in boot priority. Win7 will check for device A first, and it will coexist with the USB devices in the same boot state upon reboot.

Thread Information