Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Problem with new B75M-ITX build (no video if ram in slot next to cpu)

Unhappy Problem with new B75M-ITX build (no video if ram in slot next to cpu)

I built a new system last night and ran into a bit of an issue. If i place the ram in the outside slot I can boot fine and the system seems to run ok (can boot linux from usb as well as memtest). If I place one stick of ram in the system in the inside slot; the cpu fan spins then stop spin then spins up and the system seems to go through a boot sequence (well bios init sequence) but there is no video. - The cpu is G1610; the ram is g.skill F3-10600CL9D-4GBPK (2 sticks 2gb). The machine also has a M4 but it is not formatted (yet). - I tried pulling ram from another system to test in the inside slot and I tested this ram in that old system (the old system has F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL - but I'm not sure if you can use PC1600 ram with this cpu (i.e, the system will just run it at a slower speed) - Anyways I can use either stick of the new memory in the outside slot but nothing works if I put a stick in the inside slot. Also the keyboard light blinks differently in the case where there is no video and when there is video but there is no documentation on trouble shooting (this motherboard has no speaker or led and I can find nothing in the manual or on line to try to pin point the issue). - Should I assume the inside ram slot is DOA; or are there other tricks I can use to see if it is fine but the system simply doesn't like this ram on the inside slot ? - I also tried the system with a second psu in case there could be an issue with the mini-itx case psu but that did not seem to help.

Shiari is offline Member

Default Re: Problem with new B75M-ITX build (no video if ram in slot next to cpu)

Seems G.Skill memory gives trouble on some ASRock boards (there are recent threads about it), and it might be fixable by setting your memory voltage explicitly as per the commenters on ASROCK z68 Extreme 4 DR Debug Code 45 - Motherboards - Motherboards ... if that does help, please let us know as the people in those other threads haven't said anything since.

Unhappy Re: Problem with new B75M-ITX build (no video if ram in slot next to cpu)

Ok. I can set explicit voltage for ram when I get home; it should be on the default (auto). Sadly this motherboard has no beeps or led to suggest problem. - Hum. One fellow in newegg reviews reported a similar problem (but side ram slot not working).

Default Re: Problem with new B75M-ITX build (no video if ram in slot next to cpu)

I checked the motherboard bios and while the setting is auto; it had the voltage set to a reasonable value (1.57). Asrock support responded and confirmed my suspicion that it is most likely a bad slot. Since I have a new board arriving tonight I decided to not tinker with it any longer until i have a chance to try the new board.

new board arrived last night; installed; booted with no issues so I'm going to chalk this one up as bad mb.

Thread Information