Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Computer Acting up ? Changed soem Hardware, different Problem

captron421 is offline Junior Member

Default Re: Computer Acting up ? Changed soem Hardware, different Problem

Ok, so I shut the computer complexity down, was keeping me awake,lol. Then I go and fire it up, just black screen, Keyboard and controller did not light up. So I turn it off by the PSU a few times, still black. So pulled the CMOS battery for a few and put back in and hooked it back up and booted, but I do not get splash screen or a beep. Could the battery really be weak this young?

Papang is offline Junior Member

I always have at least one as a spare and yes it happens. They are so cheap it is worth having one on hand to not have to get up Sunday morning just to buy one. They only last a year, year and a half with a decent charge, after that, the bios should advise you that the battery is low, but not always, especially if something more critical is acting up. It is part of having the famous "known good spare part or component" so important for troubleshooting.

If still wonky, really the last resort is "breadboarding" your mobo to cut to the chase. Even a good PSU could be at fault, the reason I saved my last PSU just because it is "a known good component" (a Cooler Master). If you don't have one, maybe a friend can lend one or take your system to him to try his PSU on your system. Always a plus to have someone who has a stock of good stuff to test your system, without having to get to a tech repair shop. I got fed of them after a half dozen "charges for service". I remember being charged like $100 usd for a "memory controller repair". I didn't know back then that they were soldered to the mobo (so nothing to repair). So he most probably reseated ram and was done in 2 minutes. Not bad for a "days work". Returning something still good is soooo lame.

Most problems boil down to 1) mobo and 2) PSU and 3) hard drive, in that order of frequency. Very rarely is it the cpu and ram or even video cards, but if it were, boy that is really bad luck and of course a very long process to get at. Sometimes it is a usb connection but also very rare.

Of course I am supposing it is not malware in your HDD/SSD which will hobble your OS, thus all the weirdness. For those type of problems, I have an old SATA I hdd as a "know good component" pre-loaded with a clone of my OS. Nowadays there are free options for cloning OSs and it is so fast. If I do get a buggy hdd (once) or a bad case of malware (it has been ages), the remedy is close at hand. In no tech but up to now, I have remedied most problems in a weekend and the last system I breadboarded, stayed that way for half a year--it was running so smooth.... That was until my wife made me stuff all back into the case cuz it was taking up half the dining room table. Oh, one of my four ram slots got damaged from an OC so it was my fault.

captron421 is offline Junior Member

Thanx for the info! I run the anti malware program at least once a week. I will look into a battery and getting a LCD for the bios.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information