Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Asrock Z87 Extreme6 - OC Questions/problems

ChaosShadow00x is offline Junior Member

Default Asrock Z87 Extreme6 - OC Questions/problems

Hi,

Alright so to start, i'm relatively new to the OC scene. In fact this is my first 'real' swing at overclocking. That said, i'm not some computer n00b, so i fully intend to have a complete understanding of the basics and some of the more advanced things, but I'm at an stage where I need a bit of guidance.

I've looked around online, and i'm having some difficulty. The basic of overclocking is to increase your cpu multiplier to the highest stable state by increasing the clock, and Vcore respectively until you find the optimal cross between temperature and speed with out locking up or crashing.

I, however, cannot find Vcore on my Asrock Z87 Extreme6. I also have absolutely no idea what my core sits at normally, so i didnt even have a BASE LINE i can start tweaking from. Despite all that, by biting the bullet and tweaking things here and there slowly, i determined that CPU Input Voltage might be what is referenced as Vcore. I hope i'm right because i set it to 1.25, and managed to get a stable overclock of 4.2.

Here is where things get hairy, and i get confused. Being away from home, i broke down and decided to start posting this on some forums, but here it is:

I can run stable tests at any level of Intel Burn (including maximum for 1 cycle, and 10 on standard and high, this is not "max" just what i was willing to sit around for), and also about 2 hours of Prime95 with 4 workers going for maximum temp. Temperatures peaked at 82 according to CoreTemp, averaging around 75-78. Cool, i'll take that.

Now, Using A-tuning, with NO OTHER CHANGES, i can set my multiplier to 45... The results are equally stable. Actually the above example was running at 4.5ghz (reported from coretemp, and the A-tuning hardware monitor). Me thinks "wow, i got a good stable 4.5ghz overclock, perfect!" because 4.5 is what i really want out of it, and thats it, no desire to go higher.

So i merrily reboot into my bios (called UEFI these days i guess), and do exactly what i did with A-tuning. No other adjustments, just bring the multiplier to 45. Go to reboot, gets to desktop. Wait about a minute for the system to calm down, fire up intel burn, go for a single run on standard - instantly locks up.

"wtf?"... i say. So it must have crashed, whatever. Increase that input voltage to 1.26, try again, exact same result... I screw with a bunch of things now, and dont get any further, and my core wants to go up to 90c's. At this point, i reset my UEFI settings to factory default, set that input voltage back to 1.25, and go back to my 4.2ghz clock i had it at. Run Intel Burn again, stable. Run it some more for longer on higher settings, still stable. Go back into A-tuning, adjust my multiplier to 45, run Intel Burn, expect it to lock up and crash... "must have been a fluke". Coretemp and A-tuning hardware monitor report going up to 4.5ghz, and it runs stable for an hour straight. Now i'm confused, bothered, and stuck at work until tomorrow so i cant play with it.

Thats my story, in its full. My only conclusion is that A-tuning is either A) Lying to me, which i doubt because the comp will eat it if i push it to 48 as it should, and the results for intel burn are indeed faster, or B) A-tuning is doing something that i dont see or understand.

Anyways, i'd like to discuss this until tomorrow afternoon at which point i'll be home again and can continue tests. The computer IS stable at its reported 4.5 ghz. Just not when i try to set it up permanently through bios.

I gata run, but i'm just gata post this since its the jist of what i wanted to say. Sorry for any errors, i'll correct them when i come back in an hour. Thanks in advance guys!

Shiari is offline Member

Default Re: Asrock Z87 Extreme6 - OC Questions/problems

Alright, I'm going to refer you to another post I've made as a brief guide to overclocking Haswell because I really hate to repeat myself :) But a few things first:

- A-Tuning is useless (imo anyway) so ditch it. There's no such thing as profiles, values of sliders change along with the state of the CPU (this is the most fatal flaw), and it's just hard to get to a set of settings you can re-apply or even adjust before applying safely each time. Intel Extreme Tuning Utility does much of what A-Tuning does (without the specifics like fan control), and the things it does it does a LOT better.

- IBT and Prime95 (latest with AVX instructions I presume?) are just not very practical tools anymore for Haswell. Sure they generate a lot of heat, but they only test stability so far.

- When you are working on the OC settings, change one thing at a time, retest, change another thing, retest, etc. Obviously you'll use short tests for this until you reach a point where you need to get more confident of stability so you'll run it a bit longer. Up to 20 minutes has been working well for me there so far.

As to the little guide I wrote, you can find it here: http://forums.tweaktown.com/asrock/5...tml#post460366 ... do not skip on the 3 step guide to overclocking Haswell mentioned there though, it contains some good info.

Shiari is offline Member

Oh and yeah, Vcore = CPU Vcore Voltage (it might have been renamed in a newer UEFI, not sure, don't know what version you're using either anyway). It's controlled by the top voltage settings in the OC settings anyway. CPU Input Voltage (near the bottom) you shouldn't touch, as it must be at least 0.4v higher than the Vcore voltage.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiari View Post
    Oh and yeah, Vcore = CPU Vcore Voltage (it might have been renamed in a newer UEFI, not sure, don't know what version you're using either anyway). It's controlled by the top voltage settings in the OC settings anyway. CPU Input Voltage (near the bottom) you shouldn't touch, as it must be at least 0.4v higher than the Vcore voltage.
    Hey thanks for all the advice. I actually read all of that already but it was finding the Vcore settings which was the problem. I updated my bios to 2.10 from 1.40 and now theres an actual Vcore setting. I put it to 1.25 with a +0.05v offset, and now i can boot stable at 4.5. I've only just got home so i've yet to test anything serious, but i'll run Aida64 and see how that works. the IBT and Prime tests did just fine however. I'm also working on downloading XTU.

My temps are currently ~60, with occasional spikes to 75 (max temp recordings according to coretemp)

Actual Vcore was nowhere stated in the 1.4 UEFI, and it also reportedly had problems with stability according to a couple articles i read. 1.9 and seemingly 2.1 work great however.
    Last edited by ChaosShadow00x; 07-21-2013 at 02:55 AM.

Shiari is offline Member

2.5V? That can't be right, you'd be frying your CPU, so perhaps you meant 1.25V? Those temps are looking promising though, well within the acceptable range so it should certainly be possible to get that stable if it isn't already. And yeah, the newer UEFI versions certainly have provided improvement (through XTU benchmarking I've noticed a measurable performance improvement just going from 1.40 to 1.90).

BTW as a bit of side info, if you ever want to take screenshots of the UEFI: put in a FAT32 formatted USB stick and hit F12. It'll then save a .bmp file to the root folder on the stick.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Yes, 2.5V cannot be entered as a value for Vcore, 2.000V is the max, and that is crazy high too. Probably meant 1.5V.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    Yes, 2.5V cannot be entered as a value for Vcore, 2.000V is the max, and that is crazy high too. Probably meant 1.5V.

Ha yeah, whoops. I rolled right over that by accident. It was 1.25, but i tweaked it further and its actually 1.225v now. Voltage is fixed with an offset of 0.015. Ran the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility stability test for a full hour, long as i'm willing to sit around for and watch anyway.

Maximum reported temperature was 78*C, according to Core Temp, with ~10* fluctuation between 64*C and 75*C. Not sure why it jumps up and down, it was very stable temps before the bios update.

I also was tired of looking at a reported clock of 4.99ghz... So i adjusted my BLCK to 100.1 in the bios. Most programs report it as 100.05, and my core speed will report as a full 4.50ghz...

I do not appear to be able to stabilize anything above 45x however. 46x crashes even when volted to 1.27 and temps will want to push mid-high 80's... Whatever. 4.5ghz was my goal before i even bought the computer, so i'm extremely happy. Does seem strange that 45x is literally my multiplier barrier. Would think that 1.225 would mean i have plenty room to go up, specially if i wanted to push near 1.3. I'm also going ahead and updating the rest of my profile. I couldnt do that earlier at work, and i forgot yesterday, sorry lol.
    Last edited by ChaosShadow00x; 07-21-2013 at 03:17 AM.

DasCheese is offline Junior Member

Yeah 4.5 is my barrier too. Still a very nice clock for this chip. If you really want to try pushing it a bit more I would clock your ram down a bit and try it again. Apparently higher ram clock speeds will limit your overclock with Haswell.

Shiari is offline Member

Yeah, higher memory speeds may affect your upper clock limit negatively. Similarly, lowering the CPU cache multiplier (and its voltage, thus reducing heat) may also allow to push the CPU a bit more, particularly if you're heat-capped.

Hey thanks for the advice! I'm just going to leave it right where it is for now, 4.5ghz is great for me. Until i NEED more i wont force any more out of my processor.

However, i've noticed a quirk about the "stepping" system on this processor. Sometimes, like when installing programs or loading a game, it wont "step" up, leaving itself at 800-1200mhz. Essentially, processes come to a halt. I've decided to ask because its taken nearly 10 minutes to install a 1.5 meg which took seconds to install it on my vastly inferior laptop. Any one else experience this?

Thread Information