Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Z87 Extreme4 eSata Issues

cmacnichol is offline Junior Member

Default Re: Z87 Extreme4 eSata Issues

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    How do you know that is correct, that the board supports port multiplication? It's also a to general statement, since the board has two SATA controllers, the Intel and ASMedia.

The eSATA port is supported by the ASMedia controller. Is that enabled and set to AHCI, since any kind of hot plugging must use AHCI mode. Given the issues with the eSATA port on another ASRock board in a thread in this forum, I believe it was determined that the ASMedia controller will support being connected to a port multiplying device, but does not support port multipliers by itself.

About the Startech eSATA card, what exactly does "not recognized by Windows" mean? After the card's driver is installed, which is essential, you don't see anything in Device Manager about it at all? It should in Storage Controllers or IDE/ATA ATAPI devices. Are you sure the StarTech card is working?
    AHCI for the asmedia controller is enabled. That second bit I did not know. One of the big points of the board to me was that it supported the Port Multiplier for the enclosure. This is direct from their tech specs on the website. "- 1 x eSATA connector by ASMedia ASM1061, supports NCQ, AHCI, Hot Plug and Port Multiplier"

As for the Startech card, it is weird. It works find in an old Gigabyte LGA775 Board with Win 7 64 with the Enclosure in fact. The Bios device browser recognized it as a storage controller, however it does not show up at all in the system device list. Also, the Asrock utility System Browser, windows version, does not even see the card, where in the bios it did. I installed the driver manually to just test and it did not register the card at all either.

Dear cmacnichol,

For this issue, please kindly install ASMedia v1.4.1 SATA3 driver from below link to try.
    Link: ASRock > Z87 Extreme9/ac

After testing it, please kindly provide the test result for me.
    Thank you very much!

Have a nice day
    ASRock TSD
    Emily

Quote Originally Posted by ASRock TSD - Emily View Post
    Dear cmacnichol,

For this issue, please kindly install ASMedia v1.4.1 SATA3 driver from below link to try.
    Link: ASRock > Z87 Extreme9/ac

After testing it, please kindly provide the test result for me.
    Thank you very much!

Have a nice day
    ASRock TSD
    Emily
    Progress, at least.

I installed the new driver and rebooted the computer. The Enclosure now recognizes that it is connected to an active connection. However, the windows system browser in A-tuning shows that the eSata port in empty and computer management does not show any new drives. Currently I only have one HDD in the first slot of the enclosure so it should recognize that at least.

Oddly enough, now the Startech eSata card was recognized by Windows and installed after the new Sata3 driver was installed and rebooted. Will be testing if the enclosure works on that card shortly.

I am honestly confused as to why the board does not see anything connected to the built in eSata port however. There is nothing in either internal Asmedia ports to prevent it from working.

Any ideas?

Dear cmacnichol,

Please kindly remove the original driver and then re-install ASMedia SATA3 v1.4.1 driver to try again.

If the symptom still occur, please kindly contact me via PM.
    I'll help to check it in detail.

Sorry for the inconvenience.
    Thanks!

Have a nice day
    ASRock TSD
    Emily

Dear cmacnichol,

Please kindly remove the original driver and then re-install ASMedia SATA3 v1.4.1 driver to try again.

Thanks!

Have a nice day
    ASRock TSD
    Emily
    Here is a picture showing the Enclosure recognizing that it is connected.

Z87 Extreme4 eSata Issues-photo-jpg

Dear cmacnichol,

Thanks!

Have a nice day
    ASRock TSD
    Emily

Here is the picture of Computer Mangement

Z87 Extreme4 eSata Issues-computer-management-png

I found this interesting.

Mediasonic Forum • View topic - HFR2-SU3S2 eSATA not recognized on new Win7 install

Other people are having issues with the Asmedia controller as well. Different Motherboard but same SATA controller.

Same issue here.

eSata Connection on Rampage IV extreme not working with a Multi Bay External Hard Drive Enclosure

Which is exactly what is happening to me. Again different board, but same controller.

I am tempted to just get a PCIE card for this. It just rankles me to spend so much on a Motherboard that says is support Port Multiplication, and not have it work. This is the second board as well after I took the first one back.

Comments?

parsec is offline Senior Member

Some threads in this forum related to your issue:

http://forums.tweaktown.com/asrock/5...t-working.html

Z77 Extreme6 and eSATA port multiplier compatibility

And some info that seemed to confirm port multipliers don't work on the ASMedia chipset. Yes it's a Linux forum, but the basic information would be applicable:

Gentoo Forums :: View topic - AsMedia ASM1061 Port Multiplier issues

Well, I have made some progress at least. Asrock ended up telling me that they could not reproduce the issue on the USB 3 version of my enclosure with the 1.4.1 Driver. No matter what I did I could not see the one drive in the enclosure.

USB was working fine. Finally, I rolled the driver version back to Windows Default. Instantly the one drive was located and assigned a drive letter.

Sadly, this driver does not support Port Multiplication.

So now I know the issue is with the Asmedia Driver itself and not any of the Hardware.

Guess the question is, Now What?

***SOLVED***

Okay, I got it working.

I completely removed the driver and hardware from Hardware Manager

Manually Installed Asmedia Driver 1.4.1

This next bit is key if you have a 64 bit Operating System

As Windows is booting you need to hit F8 and boot with Driver Signature Enforcement Disabled.

Now, this might seem like all it would take. At this point it would still only see one drive.

I turned the enclosure off, and turned it on with one drive installed at a time. This allowed windows to install each disk drive by itself, repeating this step until all 4 were installed.
    This really should not be necessary, however it was the only way I could get it to work.

When this was done I restarted the computer one more time. The Controller upped my boot time from 8 sec to around 30.

Now, all Hard Drives are recognized within Windows Computer Management and could be Initialized or Formatted.

This was way more trouble than I expected...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information