Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Z77 and Trifire

Default Z77 and Trifire

Hello, I've just bought an Asrock Z77 Extreme3 which has 3 PCI Express ports.
    One is x4 and two are x8, perfect for my trifire (interestingly enough the x4 was not much of a hindrance to my previous setup either).
    Only problem is that whenever I install all 3 cards together the 3rd one is not recognized, install it alone (in the third PCI-E port) and all is well.

What's going on? This is a very strange behaviour indeed. My cards are HD5870s, they do not offer much power but I've grown used and rather attached to them, scaling is rarely there but the third card seems to eliminate microstuttering which is everything for me and I do not have money to buy a new GFX setup, so how can I make the mobo recognize all 3 cards at once? Maybe some special software.

It's a bit of a shame because my cheapo 50Euro motherboard I used to have could do trifire, yet this one seems that it can't. Thanks.

Shiari is offline Member

Default Re: Z77 and Trifire

I checked the manual for your board, but I don't see anything obvious which might be going wrong. Perhaps go over the manual to make sure you did everything as stated? Try a different CrossFire bridge maybe?

Sorry that I can't be of more help, I don't know your board and I've never used CrossFire or SLI myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiari View Post
    I checked the manual for your board, but I don't see anything obvious which might be going wrong. Perhaps go over the manual to make sure you did everything as stated? Try a different CrossFire bridge maybe?

Sorry that I can't be of more help, I don't know your board and I've never used CrossFire or SLI myself.
    Nah, I've installed it in exactly the same way as I had it in my last board. Also I went over the manual and it clearly states that it supports 3-way CrossfireX ... so really that's the weirdest thing, maybe I should reinstall windows I dunno. Actually what happens is that when I install a second card it says "video controller" on the device manager, yet if I have just one card installed, that -same- card is recognized as HD5870... It's so strange...

Also the bridges mean nothing even with them not installed the device manager *should* see the card correctly (instead of ""video controller")... Maybe I should contact Asrock directly ... :/
    Last edited by Stevethegreat; 07-21-2013 at 07:06 AM.

...what makes things even weirder -I just found out- is that setting my third card as second and the second one as third resolves the problem yet impacts performance in an unacceptable way. If it is of any help I'm on the latest catalyst (on the cards) and latest bios (on the mobo). In fact "latest all", how strange is that?

Does anybody else has this motherboard to notice those things or is it just me? Because if it is I with the issue I'd have to return the motherboard ... sadly.

Thread Information