Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Installing Win 7 on new H87M Pro4

Default Installing Win 7 on new H87M Pro4

I've been tossing a coin the last dozen or so builds as to ASRock - Gigabyte - ASUS. This time, it ended up on ASRock for some not wholly defensible reasons. However, I will say that historically ASRock (775 and 1155) has always worked really really well for me, but so have the others for the most part. It's like a no-lose choice. This is my first 1150.

Anyhow, with these UEFI-based boards I've usually installed Win 7 using the UEFI/GPT option. But for the life of me, I can't say why. I've run into more stupid problems due to the odd partitioning and issues with the BIOS (mis)identifying the correct boot partition. That was mostly ASUS, IIRC. But I still hear an occasional complaint about booting, particularly if someone has booted off an ATAPI drive recently.

So here are a couple questions:

1. Has anyone installed Win 7 on one of these (H87M Pro4, or close to it (H87 chipset))? And if so, have you had any interesting experiences with it that are worth sharing?

2. Can anyone explain WHY it's useful to install Win 7 (or 8 for that matter) using the UEFI option, as opposed to installing it the old-fashioned way with the usual 100GB hidden boot partition? I've done now a bunch of these and have seen NO benefit AT ALL, all the while running into an onslaught of weird no-boot conditions. So maybe someone can explain what the big deal is about a "UEFI install" of Win 7/8, 'cos I'm obviously not getting it.

Thanks!

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Installing Win 7 on new H87M Pro4

Question 2 first, UEFI booting Windows 8 is worth more than Windows 7, although the value of the reasons is your own preference.

Windows 8 supports secure boot, Windows 7 does not.

UEFI booting Windows 8 supports the fast booting feature that Windows 7 doesn't. It does work well, I use Windows 8 in this configuration.

If you want to use an HDD larger than 2.2TB, you must use a GPT boot partition. While that does not require UEFI booting, Windows 7 only allows a GPT formatted HDD to be the boot drive when UEFI booting. GPT allows more than four primary partitions on a disk, and again if that is necessary for your needs and you use Windows 7, you must UEFI boot.

Personally, I've had zero problems UEFI booting Windows using GPT boot partitions with ASRock mother boards, never any confusion, although the naming/terminology used for the boot device can be confusing. But once set, I don't see what the confusion could be. After a UEFI/BIOS update, of course the UEFI settings must be set appropriately again, but beyond that I haven't had any problems.

A correctly installed UEFI booting Windows 7 or 8 installation should also boot fine when non-UEFI booting, using the MBR boot partition that Windows automatically puts on a UEFI/GPT configured Windows installation.

Regarding your first question, I don't understand what issues or "interesting experiences" would be associated with Windows 7 and the Haswell/8 series chipsets. There are Windows 7 users with all kinds of Intel 8 series chipset boards (H87, Z87, etc), and Windows 7 is not a problem for them. I haven't seen any consistent complaints about driver issues or compatibility problems. Windows 7 is a mature OS that is really taken for granted as working on any recent hardware platform. Mother board manufactures don't even bother mentioning Windows 7 compatibility, but are sure to mention compatibility with Windows 8.

Thank you for the reply.

You more or less confirmed what I "knew" about the UEFI installation of Win 7. I guess my curiosity about this arose from my lack of need of any of those features, and was looking for something actually useful to me. Which there isn't, apparently.

Does anyone actually boot off a >2TB drive? Really? Whoever it is, someone ought to tell him/her about SSDs. :)

The problems (and they ARE real) have been almost exclusively with ASUS UEFI installations. There's something that loses track of the actual boot partition once in a great while. As I mentioned, it seems to have something to do with having booted off an optical drive, because that's a common feature of the complaints I get.

Regrading the H87M Pro4... I was just trolling for any hands-on experience with "gotchas". New series of processor.. new chipset... Wouldn't be the first time. Since then, I've gotten one. The experience was First Class. Not a single issue. Had it running, literally, in minutes after the package appeared. I have to say that so far this is one of the best boards, out of hundreds, that I've ever used. It's now been up and running 24/7 for almost two days without the hint of a glitch.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Glad your new board is working well. I've had great "luck" with my ASRock boards, and in my experience they have the UEFI booting configurations done very well. I have three PCs UEFI booting with ASRock boards, and they are glitch free. IMO some board manufactures add to many options for UEFI booting, when some of the underlying things needed (like Option ROMS) are simply not there or working as they should.

The only downside to any Haswell system is the difficulty they have being over clocked to a high level. Haswell CPUs run very hot under those circumstances, so just keep that in mind.

Thread Information