Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Asrock Extreme3 870....SPDIF and 5.1.

Default Asrock Extreme3 870....SPDIF and 5.1.

Hello All!!!
    I've searched all over the interwebs trying to find a solution.....

I currently have a 870 Extreme Motherboard that cannot seem to play 5.1 audio for nothing.....
    I use a pair of Turtle Beach Headphones and one of their sound processors:

Turtle Beach, Inc. - EAR FORCE DSS2

I connect to this using the Digital Cable (Out from the SPDIF Output) and it says I have a digitial connection but it only plays in 2 channels. If I take that same file and put it on a flash drive and move the setup over to my Xbox (It's original use) it plays the surround sound flawlessly).....

Am I missing something? Will I need a dedicated Sound Card? According to the ASrock Website this Motherboard has 7.1 Audio via the Realtek ALC892 Audio Codec

I want to keep everything on my PC. I hate moving files to flash drive.....Breaking them up into 4gb Segements because Xbox is limited to the Fat32 File System!!!!!!

Please help lol!!!

Default Re: Asrock Extreme3 870....SPDIF and 5.1.

Anyone Please?????
    It's been stumping me forever!!!

parsec is offline Senior Member

First, IMO the 7.1 Realtek chip does not automatically mean you have surround sound decoding (Dolby Digital and DTS) available. Does the board's specs even mention DD or DTS capabilities? If it did, you'd see that in big colored text as a feature, a selling point for the board.

The Realtek chip may have 7.1 channel output capability, but if it is not given 5.1 or 7.1 channels of audio input created by say a Blue Ray player and its codecs, what is providing the surround sound signals to the chip?

Then we have the digital S/PDIF output, which is normally two channel audio. Yes, DD and DTS use the S/PDIF interface to provide a digital surround sound signal to a codec, which you have with your Turtle Beach equipment. The trick of course is what enables, if possible, the DD or DTS signal to be sent over the S/PDIF output.

Have you configured the Windows Sound option, in Control Panel? Select the Realtek device in that list, and click Properties. Select the Supported Formats tab, and you'll find DTS, DD, and WMA. Highlight one of them, with the Sampling Rate at 48.0KHz, and click the Test button. Hopefully it works, select it as the Default device, and try it out.

Your XBox has this configured now apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    Have you configured the Windows Sound option, in Control Panel? Select the Realtek device in that list, and click Properties. Select the Supported Formats tab, and you'll find DTS, DD, and WMA. Highlight one of them, with the Sampling Rate at 48.0KHz, and click the Test button. Hopefully it works, select it as the Default device, and try it out.

Your XBox has this configured now apparently.
    Yeah, I was stumped because during that "Test" I was getting the digital signal but after the test tone was over it just went back to 2 channel Audio. To keep the Surround Sound working I had to mess with the settings in VLC. Apparently, I had to change the default to always look for the SPDIF when available.....

Thanks for the response!!!

Thread Information