Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Can I upgrade my Core100HT HTPC to be 3D capable?

Default Can I upgrade my Core100HT HTPC to be 3D capable?

Hey guys,

Wondering if I can put in some new components to allow this to get my Core100HT to support 3D (and a faster processor!). I would sincerely appreciate any support. I really want to avoid upgrading to a Vision HT or VisionX if possible.

Thanks!

- Jason

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Can I upgrade my Core100HT HTPC to be 3D capable?

Regarding updating to support 3D graphics, the answer is no.

Your model of PC in the USA usually uses the i3-330M processor. Compatible processors are listed in a link on your boards product page at ASRock: Core 100HT - ASRock Inc.

The graphics becomes confusing, since they may be provided by your board's HM55 chipset, or the CPU itself, one or the other is now used. Can your mother board use a separate graphics chip, which is the only option possible for that type of PC? Sorry to say, no, not possible with your PC's mother board: Image | Hardware Secrets

The Vision series PCs that support 3D all use separate video chips that make that possible. None of the Intel CPUs that your board supports have 3D capability. Neither does the HM55 chipset, which cannot be replaced. A video card cannot be plugged into the board, and there also is no place for a video card's outputs on the rear panel of the case.

Thank you for your response on this. Now the question is, is now the right time to upgrade to a Vision series? Or is something better coming soon? Also, which one to get? The VisionX or the HT? Is the X worth $200 more than the HT?

Thanks!

parsec is offline Senior Member

Who knows what is coming in this series of PCs, I suppose it is possible a new line with the latest Intel processors with better onboard graphics. But they won't be better than a separate video card/chip.

The Vision X used a 7850M graphics chip, and the HT uses the Intel 4000 graphics, both can do 3D, but the 7850M graphics are superior. A separate, 7850-based desktop graphics card can be bought for under $200, some are $160 or less. A 7850M mobile chip costs less than that. The only other big difference between the Vision X and HT is the Vision X has 8GB of memory, the HT 4GB.

So the $200 price difference is a lot IMO, and these PCs in general are not a great buy.

Thread Information