Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to Access Onboard Graphics/Video

aggrolol is offline Junior Member

Default How to Access Onboard Graphics/Video

Hello all, i am new to the whole pc building thing and i am quite lost, everything has been installed in my computer but my
    Radeon Powercolor HD7850 card will not display video to my monitor. I thought this might be happening because i havent installed the driver for it into my PC.
    How do i access the onboard video for my ASRock 970 Extreme4 motherboard? Thanks for all the help

PS: All the fans are up and running. Even the fan for the video card

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

Default Re: How to Access Onboard Graphics/Video

Welcome to the forum.

Your bios should have an option to set the default video output device, integrated on-board graphics or discrete (add-in) graphics.

We can best help you after you create a detailed hardware list in the System Specs portion of your
    forum profile http://forums.tweaktown.com/profile.php?do=editprofile at the bottom of the
    profile page or in your forum signature http://forums.tweaktown.com/profile....=editsignature.
    Be sure to include brand names and model numbers.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Sorry for being a total beginner but im not even sure how to access my BIOS, im new to it all.

I realize now it was a pretty hard task to embark on not knowing much and not doing heavy research into the subject..

parsec is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by aggrolol View Post
    Sorry for being a total beginner but im not even sure how to access my BIOS, im new to it all.

I realize now it was a pretty hard task to embark on not knowing much and not doing heavy research into the subject..
    Wow... but you're being honest so that's worth respect, so you'll get some from me.

First, the video card will work without the driver installed, just not at its highest resolution. Do you have a six pin, PCIe power cable from your... unknown power supply, plugged into the video card? The video card won't work without it.

The BIOS is an interface to many of the PC's basic hardware settings. When you start, or restart a PC, you'll see some information screens being displayed, right? During that time, if you press the Delete (or Del) key several times, you will get the BIOS screens to display.

WARNING! If you don't understand what a BIOS setting does, do NOT change it! Even if you think something does not make sense, unless you truly understand it, don't change it.

Rather than trying to tell you how to use the BIOS interface screens, you must read the manual's section about that. That will also tell you how to save anything you changed, which won't happen unless you really save it, and where to find what you are looking for. That is, switching from the video card to the onboard video. That is, if your CPU has onboard video, which hopefully it does.

Since this is a first time build for you, it's also quite possible that you just have something else not connected correctly. For example, your board has an eight pin CPU power connection at the top of the board, a white socket. An eight or possibly four pin CPU power cable must be connected to it, besides the main 24 pin power cable, or the PC won't start. Do you have the two cables I mentioned here connected?

Below is a link to your board's info page on ASRock's website. You can download the manual from there, always good to have an electronic copy to check. BTW, it is cool to read the manual, if you don't then you are not cool...

ASRock > 970 Extreme4

i had a friend who had more experience with computer building take a look and he mentioned its either a defective card or the processor i snagged doesnt work with my motherboard. If the processor doesnt work with the motherboard would it still be turning on like it is?

Motherboard: ASRock 970 Extreme 4
    CPU: AMD FX6300 6 core

i had a friend who had more experience with computer building take a look and he mentioned its either a defective card or the processor i snagged doesnt work with my motherboard. If the processor doesnt work with the motherboard would it still be turning on like it is?

Motherboard: ASRock 970 Extreme 4
    CPU: AMD FX6300 6 core
    The fans can run even if the processor was bad, or good, so that indicates nothing except your fans and video card are getting some power. At least some of your power connections are correct.

Your processor seems to be in the CPU support list: ASRock > 970 Extreme4

Now that I've taken a closer look at your board, I see that it does NOT support graphics that are part of the CPU. It has no connections for video cables. The specs state that onboard graphics are not supported.

That is Ok, you have a video card, which should work automatically without being selected in the BIOS. Selecting the video card in the BIOS is not your problem.

But since this is your first build, chances are something else may be causing the problem. For example, I see that there are only two entries for Crucial memory in the Memory Support list. We would need the exact model number of your memory to confirm it is one of those entries. You simply cannot use any memory you like on a mother board, there is a chance it would work, but for a first time builder it's better to get something that is known to work.

I asked you several questions in my last post about the power connections to your video card and mother board, with no response. If you think those don't matter, you are mistaken. I could go on with many questions, but a reply on your part to my basic questions has not happened yet.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post

Your processor seems to be in the CPU support list: ASRock > 970 Extreme4

But since this is your first build, chances are something else may be causing the problem. For example, I see that there are only two entries for Crucial memory in the Memory Support list. We would need the exact model number of your memory to confirm it is one of those entries. You simply cannot use any memory you like on a mother board, there is a chance it would work, but for a first time builder it's better to get something that is known to work.

I asked you several questions in my last post about the power connections to your video card and mother board, with no response. If you think those don't matter, you are mistaken. I could go on with many questions, but a reply on your part to my basic questions has not happened yet.

Im sorry about that i thought i had answered that question, yes i have a cord labeled CPU connected to an eight pin slot right next to the CPU area (white slot)

Upon startup the computer doesnt display BIOS so its clear ive done something wrong, i just cant figure out what.

and here is the exact model of my memory
    Crucial 8GB Kit (4GBx2) DDR3 1600 MT/s (PC3-12800) CL11 Unbuffered UDIMM 240-Pin Desktop Memory Modules CT2CP51264BA160B
    Last edited by aggrolol; 07-30-2013 at 11:42 PM.

Im sorry about that i thought i had answered that question, yes i have a cord labeled CPU connected to an eight pin slot right next to the CPU area (white slot)

Upon startup the computer doesnt display BIOS so its clear ive done something wrong, i just cant figure out what.

and here is the exact model of my memory
    Crucial 8GB Kit (4GBx2) DDR3 1600 MT/s (PC3-12800) CL11 Unbuffered UDIMM 240-Pin Desktop Memory Modules CT2CP51264BA160B
    Ok, great, and what about the six pin PCIe power cable to the video card? Do you have the video card in the PCIe x 16 slot closest to the CPU?

At this point a simple diagnostic would be to have the tiny "speaker" that plugs into the board, and beeps error codes, or one for all is well, connected to the board. I assume you don't have that connected now. The speaker usually comes with the PC case, in the small parts box. That would really help determining what is going on. The beep error codes are multiple beeps, count how many beeps which is then translated into a specific error.

There is only one Crucial 1600 memory model in the compatibility list, and that is a 1GB module. Yours still might work, but a memory problem will be revealed by the beep codes.

BTW, when you start the PC, you should see the ASRock graphic displayed for your board, and a few other things, whether or not you press the Del key to to into the BIOS.

OK so that was one of my problems i misplaced the speaker, but just now i found it and plugged it in, however it isnt making any beeps.
    I even checked to align it with he arrow on the motherboard to the arrow on the plug, nada. Either i cant hear it or its connected wrong.

and to answer the previous question yes my card is connected nearest to the processor, and yes there is a power cable attached to it from my power source
    Last edited by aggrolol; 07-31-2013 at 03:15 AM.

No beeps at all? That is strange. The beep is easily heard and obvious, unless of course the BIOS has a setting to turn the beep on and off, and the default setting is off... that would figure. You could check that in the manual.

Don't get discouraged, although you likely are at this point. We may need to walk through a lot of things, since not having the PC in front of me makes it a PITA! So bear with me with the following questions:

We need to check the BIOS version your board has on it, which is printed on a tiny label stuck to the BIOS chip itself. It's in the lower left hand corner of the board:

How to Access Onboard Graphics/Video-970-ex4-bios-jpg

It's the white square with "970 EX... P1.10-15A". The P1.10 is the BIOS version number in this example, all we need is the Px.xx number on your board.

Your CPU is not supported by the earlier BIOS versions, which might be your problem, the symptoms you have fit this possibility. This board was designed before your Piledriver FX CPU was available, so a BIOS update was needed for compatibility.

Your board also has the "Dr. Debug" LED display, which is just above where the little speaker is connected. That shows what are known as POST codes, which can be used to figure out problems. When the PC is turned on, what does the display show, two numbers or letters, or nothing?

After we hear back from you about these two things, we can continue.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information