Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: How to use Intel i7 3970X with ASRock X79 Extreme 11 on a first time setup?

Default How to use Intel i7 3970X with ASRock X79 Extreme 11 on a first time setup?

I don't know if this has been posted in this forum before. I'm planning to buy an ASRock X79 Extreme 11 and an Intel i7 3970X. However, on the official website of ASRock it is stated that the mentioned cpu is only supported with the bios version "1.20" and higher. What do I have to do in order to use the mentioned components together (by the way, I don't own another cpu for the socket 2011)? Thank you in advance for any help.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: How to use Intel i7 3970X with ASRock X79 Extreme 11 on a first time setup?

You quite likely will need to do nothing. The version 1.20 BIOS was the second version released, in 8/1/2012, one week after the first version, 1.10, dated 7/25/2012. After version 1.20, there are nine BIOS updates. I've never owned a board that had the initial BIOS version on it, and I doubt many if any boards are shipped with the first BIOS version.

In case you don't know, at the time a board is built, the latest or near latest version of the BIOS will be used on the board. The BIOS chip should have a sticker on it, with the BIOS version number installed on the chip. I have two ASRock Z77 boards that I bought about three months apart, and the newer board had a newer version of the BIOS on it, several versions beyond the older board. Even if your board was produced in late 2012, it would at worst have version 1.40 on it, IMO.

Check all the BIOS versions here: ASRock > X79 Extreme11

If by some horrible luck, your board had version 1.10 on it, you could contact ASRock support, and they can ship you a new BIOS chip (which just plugs in by hand, no soldering) with a newer version of the BIOS. You might not even need to pay for it, given your circumstances.

Thread Information