Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: ASRock XFast Ram does not create a drive.

Angry ASRock XFast Ram does not create a drive.

My rig:
    Asrock Z77 Extreme 4
    Intel i7 3770k
    Windows 7x64 fresh install.
    16GB Corsair RAM

This is used as an MCE server and I'd like to allocate about 8GB of my installed 16GB RAM as a xFast RAM drive primarily for storing the Live TV Buffer.
    However, after many attempts to configure a RAM drive using the ATXU control panel, the 'START' button fails to create the drive. I've tried rebooting several times; reinstalling the entire AsRock utility suite; downloading different versions of the software from the ASRock website. Nothing. This thing just isn't working. I've looked at several of the other posts about xFast RAM and although others are having difficulties, i couldn't find anyone else who simply can't get a drive to create.

Any suggestions?

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: ASRock XFast Ram does not create a drive.

I'm not sure if you've done the following, but the XFast RAM drive creation procedure is this:

Configure the size of the RAM drive, and enable any of the built in options like browser caching, etc. When done, click Apply. When that finishes, then click Start. At that point you should see the RAM drive in Windows Explorer, although a reboot is necessary.

If that still does not work, check Device Manager for an entry for a RAM Disk under Storage Controllers. Check the Properties for any clues about it failing.

Default Re: ASRock XFast Ram does not create a drive.

Thanks for the help. I got it working last night. Seems I was making the drive too big. I had set it for 8000, but I think the max size in x1024 math is 8GB, so I moved the value down to 7256 and the drive appeared. A reboot kept the drive active. Tonight I'm going to resize it to what I believe the max value of 7812MB as I need at least 7GB just for swap space and Live TV temp files.

I couldn't create the mklink resource for live TV files until I reformatted the drive as NTFS. Even after clearing everything out, the cache files and temp files directories re-appeared. So that was pretty cool.

Thread Information