Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: ASRock A770DE+ rear USB ports only USB 1.0 - Please Help

Default ASRock A770DE+ rear USB ports only USB 1.0 - Please Help

I have a ASRock A770De+ running Windows 7 and have (although somewhat embarrassed to say) recently noticed that the six rear USB hubs are only USB 1.0. The internal connectors run 2.0 but not the ready to use rear ports.

This is the motherboard.

There are no USB drivers in the support download section for the MB nor are there USB 2.0 drivers in the All-In-One zip driver package.

I've tried uninstalling all the ports from the device manager and they reinstall as USB 1.0. I've also checked all settings in my Bios.

I'm really frustrated and disappointed to 1) have only just discovered this; 2) not been able to find any solution. I have a feeling I'm running a bad MB and am well beyond the warranty period.

Thanks for the help in advance. I've emailed ASRock tech support but have heard nothing back.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: ASRock A770DE+ rear USB ports only USB 1.0 - Please Help

How do you know the USB ports on the board's I/O panel are operating as USB 1.0 speeds, or are USB 1.0 ports?

Your board's SB710 Southbridge can support up to 12 USB 2.0 ports, and two USB 1.1 ports. USB 1.1 ports are color coded white. USB 2.0 ports are color coded black. Your board has six black USB ports in its I/O panel. The board's specs state six USB 2.0 port on the I/O panel, and six USB 2.0 ports available from the three connectors on the mother board itself. That adds up to 12 USB 2.0 ports, matching the SB710 specs.

Is there a setting in your board's BIOS that configures the speed of the USB ports on the I/O panel?

If there are no USB drivers in the downloads for your board, then the drivers used are the standard Windows USB drivers. That is not unusual, for example Windows 8 has built in USB 3.0 drivers that are automatically installed on systems that support USB 3.0.

Your board was first sold in mid 2009, which is not that old, and certainly would not have used USB 1.1 connections. USB 2.0 was first released in 2000 - 2001.

Your board now has a version of the XFast USB utility, which is used on ASRock's latest boards, with USB 3.0 support.

I'm skeptical that the drivers are determining the speed of your USB connections on the I/O panel.

I noticed a tremendous difference in speed using a USB wifi and trying different ports. Rear ports wouldn't go above 10mbs. Front ports connected internally could gets speeds well over 25mbs. All USB 2.0 options are set in the Bios.

I checked device manager and confirmed rear USB ports are 1.0. This article was the basis for figuring that out. Also used another application.

ASRock support says it's a hardware issue. Unfortunately I purchased more than 18 months ago and am out of warranty. Will be buying another board.

parsec is offline Senior Member

I can't say that those USB ports are not operating at USB 1.1 speeds, but the information in the linked article is not particularly accurate, IMO.

For example, from that article: "If the names include text such as Universal Host Controller," "Open Host Controller," or "USB Root Hub (Device),", then the computer has USB 1.1 ports."

My ASRock Z87 board has support for USB 3.0, and the Device Manager entry for one of the USB 3.0 devices is "USB Root Hub (xHCI)". The Properties of that device show it is a USB 3.0 device. The terms "Universal" and "Open" indicate a USB 1.1 port, according to Microsoft.

Another test that can be done with those ports is insert a USB 2.0 flash drive, and see if the message described below appears:

Can I disable the "HI-SPEED USB Device plugged into non-HI-SPEED port" notice?

Windows XP and later versions of Windows create a pop-up notice when a Hi-Speed USB device is plugged into a USB port that does not support high-speed. To obtain the fastest performance from the device, users must click the notice and follow the instructions on the screen.

You may not see this message since your USB wireless device is connected when the PC boots. But you should see it if you unplug and reconnect that device, or plug in a USB 2.0 flash drive, if that USB port is a 1.1 port.

Thread Information