Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: K7VT6 - Single SATA drive

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: K7VT6 - Single SATA drive

Quote Originally Posted by odiebugs View Post
    You would deserve it. You are the
    If you say so, thanks! I tend to have endless patience...

Love EFI booting, no windows boot, I thought you were ultra-booting but I see you have a card ?
    You're right, but I got lucky and my EVGA GTX 650 in that PC has a Vbios update that supports GOP, and it works! Apparently a GOP supporting Vbios is not possible on all video cards (or they won't do it) according to the EVGA forum Mod. IIRC, not possible for any Nvidia 4xx or earlier cards, and I think that also applies to the 5xx series, at least for EVGA products. I've heard of a few other cards that are or can be made GOP compatible, but each card must be checked by the owner.

About the OROM's, it depends on the board an chipset, take the X79, most have ROM switch, so right there it has two OROM's, the RST and the RST-E OROM, correct. Now you can only use one OROM but the BIOS can contain 4 OROM's.
    Remember the same controller does not control the OROM when booting, there is one for legacy (BIOS) and one for UEFI boot and if you have the RST and RST-E there are four placed in the BIOS file.
    Just like you said about how you boot, you can go legacy or UEFI. Rare to see a board with only one OROM now a day's.

Then you have secondary OROM's for added controllers like Sata, Sas. Except for the new 8 series, nice they have all Sata 3's together with the chip.
    You're right about the X79 OROM's, or I should say now I know too, that makes sense. I was told that the Intel version 12 OROM for Z87, etc, serves as both the legacy and UEFI OROM. I have not looked into this at all, I have not spent enough time with the hex editors/firmware editing tools. I was ready to dive into that, and then I got a Haswell board and CPU. Been distracted by that ever since, as you can imagine.

Two of your questions here, no, no haswell, you might have seen me talking somewhere but that was me building them for people. You need to try both in the 12.7 series, use the 1936rom and the 1000 driver. There is less TRIM sent in the 12's compared to 11's.

Have you noticed that win 7 is better with TRIM then 8 ? win 8.1 has some bugs or just missing kernel, because 8.1 does not see SSD nor does it have performance run, WEI is missing and must be run from powershell.
    How shall I put this about TRIM... Yeah I've noticed big time, eventually! Plus IRST 12.6 could not handle BSODs caused by OC testing, I installed Win 8 three times on a RAID 0 volume of SSDs, after they were corrupted. I've NEVER experienced that before. Changed to 12.5, no more problems... except NO TRIM in RAID 0!!

Did not even notice, since I over provision the volume a lot, and it was only a few weeks old. I heard about it from a good source, tested it and sure enough, no RAID 0 TRIM. OMG, I never tested R0 TRIM with 12.5... ahh Summer time, Haswell OC insanity, and a build that will never end for someone else... life is good.

I have noticed on a lot of boards that WEI has some importance, after running WEI the benches look better after running it. I haven't done much of any on the 8, I don't like running them on other people systems.

I have wondered if breaking the glaze on the cooler block would fix the problem so people don't have to delid.

I can't believe how clean your rig is, looks brand spanking new, I think your tricking us, LOL just kidding.
    You're right about WEI, on Windows 8 too. WEI lets Windows "see" SSDs, which is really nothing new. Have you noticed that the Win 8 SSD Optimizer cannot see RAID 0 volumes as SSDs consistently? The OS on a RAID 0 of SSDs is recognized as SSDs, but a non-OS RAID 0 volume is labeled as HDDs. That is even after running WEI, and a UEFI that lets me set a drive to SSD or HDD. I ran the Optimizer on a couple different RAID 0 volumes labeled as HDDs, and sometimes the TRIM Optimizer is run, but I've also seen it defragment the SSDs in RAID 0! Who has time to follow up on all this stuff.

When you said "breaking the glaze on the cooler block", do you mean the glue used to hold the heat spreader (IHS) onto the CPU die, etc? If so, that does work given what I have read. What I want is frickin' solder!! If Intel can solder the IHS on IVB-E processors (which seems to be the case), why not on the other IVB CPUs, and Haswell?!?! If IVB-E can use solder, then Intel is just arbitrarily using TIM and glue on IVB and Haswell mainstream processors. Given how cool the SB CPUs are (my i7-2600K is soooo easy to cool, even at 4.5GHz), I can only imagine how good IVB and Haswell would be with solder.

About my Mr. Clean rig, come on, it's really easy. It looks clean because it is white. Next, there is really nothing in the dang thing, one video card and a small NIC card. The case is large, the few drives I use (all SSDs) are hidden in the 5.25" bays, so the real drive cage was removed. The PSU is only 660W, and modular, so what cables? If you want to see empty, I should show you my Haswell build, using the IGP only. You could do a similar build in your sleep, dude...

Quote Originally Posted by wimpy View Post
    Just to help anyone else tempted to try this, the solution is actually quite simple. On the Asrock support disk (I found a .rar version on the internet) in the folder \Drivers\SATA\3.00b\Driverdisk you will find the file textsetup.oem and 2 folders PIDE and RAID. Copy these to a floppy disk with textsetup.oem in the root directory, with the other 2 folders and their contents. Hit F6 and insert the Floppy when instructed to during the installation. Windows will find the SATA driver (using textsetup.oem) and won't ask for anything else. The installation should continue smoothly - it worked for me.
    Mr. Wimpy, My apologies for turning your thread into a personal conversation between me and Odiebugs, no disrespect intended.

Glad you figured it out. I noticed two files on your board's download page that seems related to what you described: SATA RAID Driver (For system to read from floppy diskette during Windows installation), and VIA ComboRAID driver ver:4.30g

The second file unzips to ~11MB of files and folders, including a nice Readme you can open in a browser that describes the VIA RAID drivers, etc. There is a SETUP executable installation file that seems to install the complete VIA RAID driver package. There are several different things in that download file, might be worth it to at least check them out for something useful.

The first file is basically the same thing you found on the disk you have, but organized differently.

ASRock > K7VT6

So you have the SATA mode set to RAID now? You'll have no problems with single drives in RAID mode, and hopefully you'll get the features found in AHCI mode, which are normally included in RAID, like NCQ that increases disk performance.

Just to help anyone else tempted to try this, the solution is actually quite simple. On the Asrock support disk (I found a .rar version on the internet) in the folder \Drivers\SATA\3.00b\Driverdisk you will find the file textsetup.oem and 2 folders PIDE and RAID. Copy these to a floppy disk with textsetup.oem in the root directory, with the other 2 folders and their contents. Hit F6 and insert the Floppy when instructed to during the installation. Windows will find the SATA driver (using textsetup.oem) and won't ask for anything else. The installation should continue smoothly - it worked for me.
    So basically anyone can just read the manual on page 19 to install a OS to the Sata drives. I noticed you said the manual was not obvious, but reading page 19, where it states,

If you want to install Windows 2000 or Windows XP on your SATA HDDs, you will
    need to make an SATA driver diskette before you start the OS installation.

Seems pretty simple to me.

@parsec It is precisely the organization of the files from the board's download site, which causes it to fail. If you use the method you suggest, you will find that Windows installation will come back later in the process and ask you for the Via Combo Raid driver. You might think that the floppy you have created, still in the machine, contains that and it might, but ..... in the wrong place as far as windows installation is concerned. Googling this you will find that a number of people have hit this stumbling block and have been nonplussed. I could not find an answer for it on the Internet.
    @oldiebug Yes, it may sound simple. But until you attempt this you will not come across the snags.Everyone can read that you need a diskette. The trick is to create a floppy which is organized in the way that textsetup.oem states - and Windows expects.

@parsec It is precisely the organization of the files from the board's download site, which causes it to fail. If you use the method you suggest, you will find that Windows installation will come back later in the process and ask you for the Via Combo Raid driver. You might think that the floppy you have created, still in the machine, contains that and it might, but ..... in the wrong place as far as windows installation is concerned. Googling this you will find that a number of people have hit this stumbling block and have been nonplussed. I could not find an answer for it on the Internet.
    @oldiebug Yes, it may sound simple. But until you attempt this you will not come across the snags.Everyone can read that you need a diskette. The trick is to create a floppy which is organized in the way that textsetup.oem states - and Windows expects.
    Ahh, I see, interesting, and how would you know until you tried it, as you have.

Frankly, at least for the Windows installation diskette files from the ASR download, I thought the layout was not what I was used to seeing with the Intel IRST "F6 Floppy" driver files. But I didn't pay much attention to it.

Think about how long that file layout has been that way, since 2005 for the F6 files, and 2006 for the other installation package. It looks like the F6 driver package is the same one provided for Windows ME and 98, and the layout may have changed for XP, but was never done.

Thanks for explaining this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information