Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: K7VT6 - Single SATA drive

Default K7VT6 - Single SATA drive

I'm trying to install Win XP Pro on a new single SATA drive on the K7VT6 motherboard.. It's not immediately obvious from the manual and support disk whether it can be done or whether I have to set up a RAID (which will involve purchasing another disk). If it can't be done, I could get a SATA to PATA adaptor, but it would be better if I could supply WIN XP with a non-RAID driver from the support CD.
    Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: K7VT6 - Single SATA drive

The specs for the two SATA ports provided by the VIA chipset are confusing you:

2 x Serial ATA 1.5Gb/s connectors supports RAID,0,1,JBOD, SATA HDD_Hotplug

It lists all the supported options, one of them being RAID, but you certainly can use a single, non-RAID drive to install XP. The "JBOD" term in the list means "Just a Bunch Of Drives", which means single drives like you want to use.

Hey, that "old" ASRock board is still working, right? Going on 10 years old, by checking the dates of the BIOS files. Oh right, ASR does not make a quality product, according to some people...
    Last edited by parsec; 08-03-2013 at 09:46 AM.

Hey Par.

I wonder if he can find drivers for vista or win 7, XP is dieing the beginning of next year. I have put 7 on a number of boards that weren't even for vista. Hope you're doing good.

Quote Originally Posted by odiebugs View Post
    Hey Par.

I wonder if he can find drivers for vista or win 7, XP is dieing the beginning of next year. I have put 7 on a number of boards that weren't even for vista. Hope you're doing good.
    What's up odie, back in T-Town I see, that's good!

Oh, I'm sure all the XP fans will just jump to Windows 8, right? That's not even funny... I use '8 actually, it's fine, what Metro?

Maybe you can help this guy do what you just said about installing 7 on that PC. His problem might be the VIA (SATA I !) chipsets on that board. The last BIOS is from '05, and the VIA SATA drivers from '04 - '06. StationDrivers?

Thanks for the replies, parsec and odiebug. This "old" board is still working fine, though the on-board LAN adaptor seems to have given up the ghost. I've stuck in a ethernet PCI card and that connects to my home LAN just fine. The gnome partition editor of puppy linux (run from a closed CD) "sees" the SATA disk (no RAID) straightaway, so I'm not surprised that Windows 7 or 8 should do the same. The real problem with supplying WIN XP with a driver at installation is finding a working Floppy drive - and disk!
    The advice and info here has been great. I'm really most grateful to both of you.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    What's up odie, back in T-Town I see, that's good!

Oh, I'm sure all the XP fans will just jump to Windows 8, right? That's not even funny... I use '8 actually, it's fine, what Metro?

Maybe you can help this guy do what you just said about installing 7 on that PC. His problem might be the VIA (SATA I !) chipsets on that board. The last BIOS is from '05, and the VIA SATA drivers from '04 - '06. StationDrivers?
    Back in town, LOL

I just had to ask Emily if she could ask ASRock to add a SataDriver option in the BIOS, when booting UEFI the RST OROM in controlled by the SataDriver and there are three in the BIOS but no option to choose one, I can mod it but I was hoping they would put in an option.

I seem to get better reads on the 11 series RST then on the 12, which is optimized for the 8 series chipset.

I trying to get tweaktown to pay you, you are the best helper around, you're the best for helping so many people.

8 is cool, I love 8.1, but have some small problems with old apps, bit defender is causing some problems, but hopefully when it goes RTM some of these bugs will be out and we can run some benches.

Booting without metro is the best, I'm not a metro kinda guy. LOL

I seen your rig on on one of the other posts, darn that thing is clean, I need to get a maid.
    Last edited by odiebugs; 08-04-2013 at 05:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wimpy View Post
    Thanks for the replies, parsec and odiebug. This "old" board is still working fine, though the on-board LAN adaptor seems to have given up the ghost. I've stuck in a ethernet PCI card and that connects to my home LAN just fine. The gnome partition editor of puppy linux (run from a closed CD) "sees" the SATA disk (no RAID) straightaway, so I'm not surprised that Windows 7 or 8 should do the same. The real problem with supplying WIN XP with a driver at installation is finding a working Floppy drive - and disk!
    The advice and info here has been great. I'm really most grateful to both of you.

Newegg and other sites like it have some USB floppy drives, but that's what nice about 7 or eight, there is nothing needed when installing, even RAID, they have all the drivers and boot from floppy is a thing of the past.

Most of the drivers will be in windows, and if a few are missing you can run a app like driver finder, most of them will grab drivers that works.

Remember, when Micro kills XP, your open to attacks that you will not see, built in software becomes vulnerable.

Quote Originally Posted by odiebugs View Post
    Back in town, LOL

I just had to ask Emily if she could ask ASRock to add a SataDriver option in the BIOS, when booting UEFI the RST OROM in controlled by the SataDriver and there are three in the BIOS but no option to choose one, I can mod it but I was hoping they would put in an option.

I seem to get better reads on the 11 series RST then on the 12, which is optimized for the 8 series chipset.

I trying to get tweaktown to pay you, you are the best helper around, you're the best for helping so many people.

8 is cool, I love 8.1, but have some small problems with old apps, bit defender is causing some problems, but hopefully when it goes RTM some of these bugs will be out and we can run some benches.

Booting without metro is the best, I'm not a metro kinda guy. LOL

I seen your rig on on one of the other posts, darn that thing is clean, I need to get a maid.
    Wow dude, thanks for that rep, I know you are a real PC enthusiast, so that is a great compliment coming from you, Thanks!

Tweak Town paying? I assume they are just the host for the ASR forum, so that may be outside of their responsibility. I can see your point.

You're a UEFI booter too?! Nice, that's one of my things, I use Win 8 basically for the UEFI booting advantages, few that there are.

Interesting what you said about the OROM's, one guy that posted here said that there is only one Intel OROM, that is compatible with BIOS and UEFI booting. He knows his stuff too, but does not have an ASR 8 series chipset board. I don't know what is correct, you are probably right, I'm just not sure... just saying... What OROMs are there? Two Intel and an ASMedia? I haven't even enabled the ASMedia SATA chipset once.

I'm sure you noticed that when CSM is enabled, there are three OROM options available, at least in the UEFI of my Z87 Ex 6 board. One is for SATA, just choosing Legacy or UEFI. The three options disappear when CSM is disabled, as you also know. Which is why you want that option, I'd like to have it too. What board do you have?

You're right about IRST 11 being faster than 12, the consensus is 11.2 is the fastest, at least in benchmarks. Did you notice the power and performance options in the IRST GUI, only with IRST 12 and 8 series chipsets? They do affect performance, and can only be tweaked in the IRST GUI AFAIK. Also new RAID mode caching options for RAID volumes. I'm not saying you'll surpass or equal IRST 11, with those options set correctly in 12, but anyone using 12 on an 8 series board should be sure those options are set as they like. FYI, RAID 0 TRIM is not working in IRST 12.5. Intel removed 12.6 from their download pages, and I can see why, I was using it and installed Win 8 three times on a RAID 0 of SSDs, each time corrupted after OC BSODs. Gave up on 12.6, no corruption issues with 12.5, but no R0 TRIM, come on man!! AFAIK, 12.6 has broken R0 TRIM.

I haven't tried 8.1 yet, waiting for it to settle down, to many other things to do. How's your Haswell build, are you delidding your CPU, etc?

Thanks for the comment about my PC pic, I'm a neat freak, at least inside my PCs. My PC "workshop" is far from neat.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    Wow dude, thanks for that rep, I know you are a real PC enthusiast, so that is a great compliment coming from you, Thanks!

Tweak Town paying? I assume they are just the host for the ASR forum, so that may be outside of their responsibility. I can see your point.

You're a UEFI booter too?! Nice, that's one of my things, I use Win 8 basically for the UEFI booting advantages, few that there are.

Interesting what you said about the OROM's, one guy that posted here said that there is only one Intel OROM, that is compatible with BIOS and UEFI booting. He knows his stuff too, but does not have an ASR 8 series chipset board. I don't know what is correct, you are probably right, I'm just not sure... just saying... What OROMs are there? Two Intel and an ASMedia? I haven't even enabled the ASMedia SATA chipset once.

I'm sure you noticed that when CSM is enabled, there are three OROM options available, at least in the UEFI of my Z87 Ex 6 board. One is for SATA, just choosing Legacy or UEFI. The three options disappear when CSM is disabled, as you also know. Which is why you want that option, I'd like to have it too. What board do you have?

You're right about IRST 11 being faster than 12, the consensus is 11.2 is the fastest, at least in benchmarks. Did you notice the power and performance options in the IRST GUI, only with IRST 12 and 8 series chipsets? They do affect performance, and can only be tweaked in the IRST GUI AFAIK. Also new RAID mode caching options for RAID volumes. I'm not saying you'll surpass or equal IRST 11, with those options set correctly in 12, but anyone using 12 on an 8 series board should be sure those options are set as they like. FYI, RAID 0 TRIM is not working in IRST 12.5. Intel removed 12.6 from their download pages, and I can see why, I was using it and installed Win 8 three times on a RAID 0 of SSDs, each time corrupted after OC BSODs. Gave up on 12.6, no corruption issues with 12.5, but no R0 TRIM, come on man!! AFAIK, 12.6 has broken R0 TRIM.

I haven't tried 8.1 yet, waiting for it to settle down, to many other things to do. How's your Haswell build, are you delidding your CPU, etc?

Thanks for the comment about my PC pic, I'm a neat freak, at least inside my PCs. My PC "workshop" is far from neat.

You would deserve it. You are the

Love EFI booting, no windows boot, I thought you were ultra-booting but I see you have a card ?

About the OROM's, it depends on the board an chipset, take the X79, most have ROM switch, so right there it has two OROM's, the RST and the RST-E OROM, correct. Now you can only use one OROM but the BIOS can contain 4 OROM's.
    Remember the same controller does not control the OROM when booting, there is one for legacy (BIOS) and one for UEFI boot and if you have the RST and RST-E there are four placed in the BIOS file.
    Just like you said about how you boot, you can go legacy or UEFI. Rare to see a board with only one OROM now a day's.

Then you have secondary OROM's for added controllers like Sata, Sas. Except for the new 8 series, nice they have all Sata 3's together with the chip.

Two of your questions here, no, no haswell, you might have seen me talking somewhere but that was me building them for people. You need to try both in the 12.7 series, use the 1936rom and the 1000 driver. There is less TRIM sent in the 12's compared to 11's.

Have you noticed that win 7 is better with TRIM then 8 ? win 8.1 has some bugs or just missing kernel, because 8.1 does not see SSD nor does it have performance run, WEI is missing and must be run from powershell.

I have noticed on a lot of boards that WEI has some importance, after running WEI the benches look better after running it. I haven't done much of any on the 8, I don't like running them on other people systems.

I have wondered if breaking the glaze on the cooler block would fix the problem so people don't have to delid.

I can't believe how clean your rig is, looks brand spanking new, I think your tricking us, LOL just kidding.

Just to help anyone else tempted to try this, the solution is actually quite simple. On the Asrock support disk (I found a .rar version on the internet) in the folder \Drivers\SATA\3.00b\Driverdisk you will find the file textsetup.oem and 2 folders PIDE and RAID. Copy these to a floppy disk with textsetup.oem in the root directory, with the other 2 folders and their contents. Hit F6 and insert the Floppy when instructed to during the installation. Windows will find the SATA driver (using textsetup.oem) and won't ask for anything else. The installation should continue smoothly - it worked for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information