Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ASRock x79 Extreme 11 UEFI 3.0 Turbo Mode Broken

Default ASRock x79 Extreme 11 UEFI 3.0 Turbo Mode Broken

I have recently flashed to the new 3.0 UEFI on my x79 Extreme 11 motherboard and after the entire session was complete I cleared the CMOS and entered setup. I manually punched in all of my overclock settings that worked fine before (and 24/7 stable). Now when I go into my OS and load up all 12 threads, the multiplier jumps down to 33 (3.3 GHz) from my original 4.8GHz clock. I've done everything to try and force it to stay up there (ignore over voltage, thermals disabled) and no luck. My highest temps ever were the high 60's before I flashed the BIOS on the cores. My VRM's are also actively cooled.

I'm really at a loss as to if there is anything I can do to fix this. I have flashed the UEFI again and no luck there either. The site says that I should not flash back after doing an upgrade to 3.0 so I'm concerned about going back to an earlier UEFI (which will probably solve my issues.) Has anyone else had any luck upgrading to 3.0?

Default Re: ASRock x79 Extreme 11 UEFI 3.0 Turbo Mode Broken

Quote Originally Posted by clayton006 View Post
    I have recently flashed to the new 3.0 UEFI on my x79 Extreme 11 motherboard and after the entire session was complete I cleared the CMOS and entered setup. I manually punched in all of my overclock settings that worked fine before (and 24/7 stable). Now when I go into my OS and load up all 12 threads, the multiplier jumps down to 33 (3.3 GHz) from my original 4.8GHz clock. I've done everything to try and force it to stay up there (ignore over voltage, thermals disabled) and no luck. My highest temps ever were the high 60's before I flashed the BIOS on the cores. My VRM's are also actively cooled.

I'm really at a loss as to if there is anything I can do to fix this. I have flashed the UEFI again and no luck there either. The site says that I should not flash back after doing an upgrade to 3.0 so I'm concerned about going back to an earlier UEFI (which will probably solve my issues.) Has anyone else had any luck upgrading to 3.0?

After you clear CMOS, while loading go into bios set defaults then reboot then do your over clock settings. If its down clocking then you have energy saving features still on in the bios, like C3 etc. Its just a bios adjustment.
    Asus RIVE
    Intel 3930K WATER
    RIPJAWX2133 16GB
    SLI-Asus GTX780 TI DCII OC
    CorsairAX1200

http://www.3dmark.com/3dmv/5003339

Quote Originally Posted by jaggerwild View Post
    After you clear CMOS, while loading go into bios set defaults then reboot then do your over clock settings. If its down clocking then you have energy saving features still on in the bios, like C3 etc. Its just a bios adjustment.
    I've done all of that. Cleared CMOS, loaded defaults, then turned off all CSTATES and power saving features in the CMOS and windows. Using the same exact settings as before the flash and having issues. The likely culprit here is the actual UEFI BIOS flash.

I've re-checked, and checked again my settings (took camera pictures of each page) and made sure each one has been applied here.
    My Rigs:
    --Main-- 3930k @ 5.0GHz / ASRock x79 Extreme 11 / 32 GB Corsair RAM / 4x EVGA GTX 670 4GB FTW / 1500W SilverStone / 128GB Vertex 4 / 512GB 840 Pro / Lian-Li PC-P90 / Windows 8
    --Server-- 2x x5650 6-core Xeons @ 4.0Ghz / EVGA SR-2 / 48 GB RAM / AMD 5450 / Corsair 1200w / 6 TB of HDD / Cosmos II / Windows Server 2012
    -----Two of the following system-----
    3570k @ 4.3GHz / Gigabyte z77-UDH3 / 32GB Corsair RAM Corsair 1050w / 2x 256 840 Pro RAID-0 / 1.5TB Backup HDD / Cooler Master Scout 2 / Windows 8

parsec is offline Senior Member

So you flashed your board's BIOS to a version whose purpose is to support IVB-E CPUs, and you are using a SB-E CPU. Did you also download and run the new INF file installer, and install the new version of IME? Both are needed after the 3.00 BIOS update.

You might ask, why do I need those new files and drivers if I'm not using an IVB-E CPU? Hard to say, but why did you need the BIOS that supports IVB-E? Running the INF file installer will not hurt anything, try that first before installing the new IME version.

IMO, your best bet is to flash your BIOS to the last version you were using, if possible.

Given the issues we've seen in this forum related to flashing the BIOS of Intel SB CPU/6-series chipsets (P67, Z68, etc) boards, to an IVB CPU compatible BIOS, when still using a SB CPU, I would strongly suggest not using the IVB-E compatible BIOS versions. It seems we are starting on that path again, with the same general scenario. New generation CPU BIOS version, used on the previous generation chipset board, with the previous generation CPU. If not done correctly, or just simply done, the result is issues.

Why more warnings about this are not provided, I don't understand. Why the previous BIOS versions are removed is also odd, but I assume that is to prevent using them with the new CPUs.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    So you flashed your board's BIOS to a version whose purpose is to support IVB-E CPUs, and you are using a SB-E CPU. Did you also download and run the new INF file installer, and install the new version of IME? Both are needed after the 3.00 BIOS update.

You might ask, why do I need those new files and drivers if I'm not using an IVB-E CPU? Hard to say, but why did you need the BIOS that supports IVB-E? Running the INF file installer will not hurt anything, try that first before installing the new IME version.

IMO, your best bet is to flash your BIOS to the last version you were using, if possible.

Given the issues we've seen in this forum related to flashing the BIOS of Intel SB CPU/6-series chipsets (P67, Z68, etc) boards, to an IVB CPU compatible BIOS, when still using a SB CPU, I would strongly suggest not using the IVB-E compatible BIOS versions. It seems we are starting on that path again, with the same general scenario. New generation CPU BIOS version, used on the previous generation chipset board, with the previous generation CPU. If not done correctly, or just simply done, the result is issues.

Why more warnings about this are not provided, I don't understand. Why the previous BIOS versions are removed is also odd, but I assume that is to prevent using them with the new CPUs.
    Normally I'm not one to update an UEFI BIOS unless I'm having a problem. I saw that new Intel Option Rom and that was my bait for this update. I do however, plan on getting an IVB-E CPU when they are available so this flash isn't all for waste.

I did download the drivers, made sure the INF was properly there, then went through the IME and RST driver installs. I'm not terribly worried about my overclock being "somewhat" gone now that I know that I'm going with the latest CPU when it shows up. I would like to flash back, but I don't have the 2.80 UEFI BIOS on hand, and the warning on the site cautions about going backwards (maybe just for the reason as you stated, to not use them with the new CPUs).

I appreciate your thoughtful response, and hope they fix this UEFI BIOS for SB-E. If not, I'll have to live with this until the new CPUs show up.
    My Rigs:
    --Main-- 3930k @ 5.0GHz / ASRock x79 Extreme 11 / 32 GB Corsair RAM / 4x EVGA GTX 670 4GB FTW / 1500W SilverStone / 128GB Vertex 4 / 512GB 840 Pro / Lian-Li PC-P90 / Windows 8
    --Server-- 2x x5650 6-core Xeons @ 4.0Ghz / EVGA SR-2 / 48 GB RAM / AMD 5450 / Corsair 1200w / 6 TB of HDD / Cosmos II / Windows Server 2012
    3570k @ 4.3GHz / Gigabyte z77-UDH3 / 32GB Corsair RAM Corsair 1050w / 2x 256 840 Pro RAID-0 / 1.5TB Backup HDD / Cooler Master Scout 2 / Windows 8

I did download the drivers, made sure the INF was properly there, then went through the IME and RST driver installs. I'm not terribly worried about my overclock being "somewhat" gone now that I know that I'm going with the latest CPU when it shows up. I would like to flash back, but I don't have the 2.80 UEFI BIOS on hand, and the warning on the site cautions about going backwards (maybe just for the reason as you stated, to not use them with the new CPUs).

You should have checked benches on the RST, the 11 series is better then the 12.7.

Did you go into devise mgr and look at each ID for the chipset to see if they updated, because most times the auto installer does not over ride MS INF.

You can try using the ASRock overclock utility, the one that was updated for the 3.00 BIOS.

If you don't then here is the 2.80 BIOS and actually most of them , but don't blame me if you have problems back dating.

Remember how ME installed after you flashed the BIOS, don't forget to wait and let it back install the old ME if you do put in 2.80

Here are your old BIOS files, I didn't have any problems back dating my X79 EX 7, but I can't say anything about your board. You shouldn't have to change the chipset drivers. the 9.4.0.1022 should be fine.

ASROCK X79 Extreme 11 bios & drivers

Quote Originally Posted by odiebugs View Post
    You should have checked benches on the RST, the 11 series is better then the 12.7.

Did you go into devise mgr and look at each ID for the chipset to see if they updated, because most times the auto installer does not over ride MS INF.

You can try using the ASRock overclock utility, the one that was updated for the 3.00 BIOS.

If you don't then here is the 2.80 BIOS and actually most of them , but don't blame me if you have problems back dating.

Remember how ME installed after you flashed the BIOS, don't forget to wait and let it back install the old ME if you do put in 2.80

Here are your old BIOS files, I didn't have any problems back dating my X79 EX 7, but I can't say anything about your board. You shouldn't have to change the chipset drivers. the 9.4.0.1022 should be fine.

ASROCK X79 Extreme 11 bios & drivers

It's funny you mention about the INF files and going through device manager. I had the same thought when I was dealing with this and it turns out they were still using the microsoft drivers. I went through each item and updated the drivers to the directory with the latest version.

Thanks for the link. If IVB-E takes a while to show up I may flash back. And I'll try the overclock tool to see if that helps me with dialing in the settings.
    My Rigs:

It's funny you mention about the INF files and going through device manager. I had the same thought when I was dealing with this and it turns out they were still using the microsoft drivers. I went through each item and updated the drivers to the directory with the latest version.

Thanks for the link. If IVB-E takes a while to show up I may flash back. And I'll try the overclock tool to see if that helps me with dialing in the settings.

Your welcome, the intel installer never over rides the MS INF's. It's not a big deal and there is little difference between INF's. But the 9.4 has actually updated all INF's so there can be small gains on the bus.

September 4, IBY-E will be out. I bet you get impatient, flash back, run your OC, then get the IVY, flash again. It's probably what I would do too.

Good luck with your board, hope it works out good for you.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Normally I'm not one to update an UEFI BIOS unless I'm having a problem. I saw that new Intel Option Rom and that was my bait for this update. I do however, plan on getting an IVB-E CPU when they are available so this flash isn't all for waste.

I appreciate your thoughtful response, and hope they fix this UEFI BIOS for SB-E. If not, I'll have to live with this until the new CPUs show up.
    You're welcome, and I hope my first post did not seem sarcastic or... snarky, not my intent.

If you're changing to IVB-E, then you should be fine in the long run. A few new ideas came to me:

Did you notice any new CPU options in the BIOS? ASRock tends to add new options with no mention of it at all. The option that could make a difference is called "CPU OC Fixed Mode", or similar to that. It keeps the CPU core frequency constant, regardless of load. Worth checking for in your BIOS, and the Auto setting may not cause it to be active with your CPU.

Odiebugs has me wondering about the INF files, and his info about the need to manually update them is important. OTOH, since you have not changed your CPU yet, updating the INF files would seem to be not important, and make no difference.

Actually, if the only issue you have after changing to the IVB-E BIOS is the reduction of core speeds a bit, that is nothing compared to the issues some users had with their 6-series chipset boards. But you did the update correctly.

Got an official response from ASRock. Said basically that the BIOS isn't compatible with SB-E like we guessed. They also told me I can't flash back unless I get another BIOS chip. Looks like I'm stuck buying a new CPU...
    My Rigs:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information