Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: HELP! Hitman Absolution was running 60 FPS, now only 30 FPS after game crash!

Exclamation HELP! Hitman Absolution was running 60 FPS, now only 30 FPS after game crash!

I have a 60hz monitor so my max FPS is only 60FPS. I was playing HMA and my game crashed now I'm only able to get 30 FPS. I restarted my computer and did a benchmark and it still only got 30 FPS. I checked Nvidia Experience to see if it recommended lower settings and it actually recommended I turn everything to ultra. I have a 4670k along with a z87 Asrock extreme 6, running a GTX 760 4GB card. I have been playing Assassin's Creed 3 at 60 FPS with no drops in FPS. Hitman Absolution was playing 60 FPS with no drop in FPS ever since I built the computer, now it crashed and it will not even pass 40 FPS. What happened? Am I looking at possible hardware damage or is this a software malfunction within the game that can be fixed by re-installing or installing some sort of fix?

Now I would also like to point out I have an old PSU. I believe it's over 5 years old and to my knowledge it is producing more heat than it should be, when I leave the computer off overnight it will run the following morning for several hours without producing as much heat. My computer has been locking up and freezing on, then Windows will crash and the computer will ask me if I want to end task/force close on Microsoft Windows, this ultimately leads to a hard reboot and slow startup times. I have done a little research and I believe this is connected to the PSU not being able to supply enough power.

So what I feel has happened is this, I entered a scene in Hitman Absolution where rain was falling from the sky and the rain caused a drop in my FPS. Considering all the individual rain drops I could see how this would put a high load on my GPU, the fan increased its' RPMs to try and compensate for the heat. The PSU being on for several hours had start to become faulty and the overdraw caused the game/card to crash. Now when I load Hitman, any scene with rain is now covered with graphical errors, it appears as if the textures are no longer wrapped to their surfaces, I will post an image.

Now I have also read that a faulty PSU can cause damage to the motherboard and the CPU. How can I diagnose the state of my CPU and mobo? I recently purchased GPU/CPU/RAM/MOBO, and I'm about to purchase a PSU/SSD/RAM this week. I would like to verify that my CPU/MOBO are still operating at full capacity while I am still in the time left of my return policy. Purchasing core components before purchasing the PSU was a huge mistake and I regret it dearly, how can I can about diagnosing the quality of my core components?

Also interesting to note, not the 12v but one of the other voltages was fluctuating when I looked at in the BIOS. When I ran EVGA precision alongside Heaven Benchmark, the card would hit a spot in the benchmark where there was a heavy load, the temps would rise past 80 degrees Celsius and the core clock would actually drop to about 900. As the temps increased the core clock would drop hand-in-hand. To my untrained eye I feel as though my card has been damaged via the PSU, how can I detect permanent damage to my GPU and my other core components? Also interesting to note, when the computer is off several hours, it will not pass 70 degrees Celcius under a heavy load.

I was very particular when I purchased this card, I purchased the card based on the cost-to-performance ratio and I am not receiving my proper performance. In Heaven Benchmark the GTX 760 cards will score around 1400 but several nights ago I ran the test and only scored 800, the following day after my PSU had cooled off and my computer had been off I scored a 1091. Why the such drastic change in performance? Is this related to the PSU burning out capacitors on my video card? My gut tells me the PSU damaged the card which now causes the drastic change in performance but my impatience tells me to narrow down the issue before I ship my card all the way across the country and wait several days/weeks to receive a new one, but on the flip side to that I only have 5 days before my return policy expires. Any and all quick help will be greatly appreciated.

*PhysX is also enabled in Nvidia control panel but shows up unchecked in GPU-Z, I disabled the auto feature from utilizing my onboard graphics from my CPU as well. Could this be tied into my issue? Sorry for all the info but I wanted to be as detailed as I could to ensure an accurate response.

Here are some pictures to go along with the description of my issues.

My average FPS is now only 32. I previously scored results exactly the same as these before the game crashed. I think the crashing is irrelevant to the game as I believe it would of happened in any game I been playing that moment when the PSU pushed the video card over the edge or vice verse.

Thank you in advance for all your help, I will refrain from playing any games and putting a further load on my rig until I have narrowed down the problem.
    I can be reached quickly via skype, my username is Hydrochetta. Whatever info is provided via skype I will post on this thread for anyone else having similar issues.

Default Re: HELP! Hitman Absolution was running 60 FPS, now only 30 FPS after game crash!

What you should have done was stress test, bench, the system as new, say using futuremark and Furmark. Now you could reinstall and bench and see if the degrade was permanent.

Most likely it's a software problem. But you need to erase the drive, either SSD or HDD, not format HDD but erase, or secure erase the SSD, reinstall windows, then bench the CPU and look at other benches for the same CPU on a close system and the same for the GPU.

This will tell you if there was a drop in the system performance. The GPU is what gives you performance, if you have a GTX 460 vs a GTX 680 which one has a better FPS, the CPU does play a role but more then likely the GPU is the first thing that could be the problem under software, such as the game stores and windows.

Furmark, you can look at others that have benched with the same CPU, GPU, and get a idea, because you didn't when the system was new so you don't have a comparison of your own system.

Either way, if you clean install, and run the game and get 60fps again, it was most likely a software problem.

If you run a PSU calc for your system and at around the min for the PSU, your stressing it to much, go with at least 200 above the min.
    Last edited by odiebugs; 08-07-2013 at 02:06 AM.

Default Re: HELP! Hitman Absolution was running 60 FPS, now only 30 FPS after game crash!

I will be going by a friends house today to place the card into his computer and do some tests. I figure this should help narrow down where the problem lies. If the card performs properly within his rig then I will know the problem lies somewhere within my rig or my software rather than within the card. I will then proceed to erase the HDD (only drive I have currently) and bench the computer upon a fresh installation of windows. If this fails to improve the performance I will then know the problem lies internally within the hardware. Now if this is to be the case, I am also curious if a faulty PSU can cause damage to my CPU or my motherboard? And if so can this be done without the PSU blowing? I would like to diagnose the motherboard and CPU to confirm their still running up to par. I will compare the results within the program you had listed above and post them within this thread.

Ran the card today in my friend's rig. It ran beautifully. Now that I know the card is fine and still performs I am now drawing my attention towards the PSU. Upon putting my computer back together I investigated the ATX 12v power connector. I noticed the connector coming from the PSU actually looked a little black. The picture does not do justice to what I can see in person when I am holding the cable. The casing around two pins on the left side (1 top, 1 bottom) appears to be dark, almost black as if there was a short and the plastic got burnt by electricity. Would my computer even boot if the motherboard was damaged in this area? I am now afraid that even if I do replace the PSU, the motherboard 12v connector might have been damaged and the problem will still persist.

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

Look at the wiring diagram in the attached picture that shows the 8-pin EPS12V connector wires.
    All of the black wires are ground wires and the yellow wires are all 12 volt wires.

Testing with a different psu and a good EPS12V connector might provide more amperage than your current psu 8-pin connector.
    Don't even try using one of the 8-pin pci-e cables because there will be a short circuit.

Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

We have come a long way.

-Blackhawk Ultra Super Tower
    -Rosewill Lightning 1000w
    -GTX 760 4GB Running mint
    -i5 4670k w/ Stock cooler soon to be XSPC Raystorm
    -Mean 8GB of Vengeance soon to be 16GB
    -More to come

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

Is the Rosewill Lightning 1000w psu new?
    Does GTX 760 4GB Running mint = everything is now okie-dokie?

We can best help you after you create a detailed hardware list in the System Specs portion of your
    forum profile http://forums.tweaktown.com/profile.php?do=editprofile at the bottom of the
    profile page or in your forum signature http://forums.tweaktown.com/profile....=editsignature.
    Be sure to include brand names and model numbers.

Does the Rosewill Lightning psu have pulsating LED lights?
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

As far as I know, it does not have pulsating lights. The card runs excellent. I have been running around 60 degrees Celsius while playing Assassin's Creed 3. I am interested in overclocking but I would like to overclock the CPU+GPU all at the same time when I have a better CPU cooler to prevent any sort of bottle-necking effects.

Thread Information