Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: ASROCK A75 Extreme6: Help understanding various (interior) CMOS and button functions

semicodin is offline Junior Member

Cool ASROCK A75 Extreme6: Help understanding various (interior) CMOS and button functions

Hey guys, for the first time in a year I got my Asrock A75 Extreme6 motherboard to turn on! </SPAN></SPAN> That’s the good news; the bad news is that when I power down I appear to be getting different results when I next power back up. What I need to know is the different functions for the CMOS pins, because sometimes I can get the motherboard to turn on when (for example) I jumper PINS 1+2+N . . . and the next time I power up it won’t take. I get different results with 1+2+N . . . N+2+3 . . . and something completely different if I take the jumper off completely (N+N+N).</SPAN>

Next, could you explain why the (interior) power button lights up arbitrarily? Should it even be on? What relationship does it have to the (exterior) |/O switch on the PSU?</SPAN></SPAN>

Thanks for everyone’s help with my first motherboard installation. I nearly fell off my chair when everything suddenly started!</SPAN></SPAN>

s</SPAN></SPAN>

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: ASROCK A75 Extreme6: Help understanding various (interior) CMOS and button functions

Quote Originally Posted by semicodin View Post
    Hey guys, for the first time in a year I got my Asrock A75 Extreme6 motherboard to turn on! </SPAN></SPAN> That’s the good news; the bad news is that when I power down I appear to be getting different results when I next power back up. What I need to know is the different functions for the CMOS pins, because sometimes I can get the motherboard to turn on when (for example) I jumper PINS 1+2+N . . . and the next time I power up it won’t take. I get different results with 1+2+N . . . N+2+3 . . . and something completely different if I take the jumper off completely (N+N+N).</SPAN>
    You mean the three pin, CMOS/BIOS jumper for clearing the CMOS, correct?

The normal operating position of the jumper on those pins is on pins one and two. If the jumper is not on pins one and two, and the PC is started, the results will be random. It may not start, or not boot, or start in some strange undefined mode. Operating the PC without the jumper on pins one and two is just plain wrong.

Moving the jumper with the PC on, or the power supply plugged into AC power with its switch on, may damage the board at worst, or cause weird results at best.

Putting the jumper on pins two and three, with the PC off and power supply unplugged from AC power, will clear the BIOS settings, and cause default values to be used. The PC should not be operated with the jumper in this position.

Removing the jumper from that header will cause random results if the PC is started. All boards may react differently to this. This is also not a normal way to run the board.

Quote Originally Posted by semicodin View Post
    Next, could you explain why the (interior) power button lights up arbitrarily? Should it even be on? What relationship does it have to the (exterior) |/O switch on the PSU?</SPAN></SPAN>

Thanks for everyone’s help with my first motherboard installation. I nearly fell off my chair when everything suddenly started!</SPAN></SPAN>

s</SPAN></SPAN>
    The behavior of the on-board power switch's LED may be unique to your board, there is no standard for the LED's operation. My (different) ASRock board's on board power switch LED works like this:

PC shut down, but connected to AC power, the LED is on.

PC is started and in the POST process, the LED is on.

If I enter the BIOS, the LED is on.

When the POST process is complete, or I exit the BIOS and the board beeps once signaling POST completed, the LED turns off.

When the PC is on and booted into Windows, the LED is off.

If the PC is in Windows Sleep mode, the LED is on. Upon waking from Sleep, the LED is off.

semicodin is offline Junior Member

Thumbs up Re: ASROCK A75 Extreme6: Help understanding various (interior) CMOS and button functions

Hey parsec, thank you so much for this detail. If I run into any problems I'll report back. Wish me luck . . .

semicodin

Thread Information