Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: XFAST RAM upper limit on a 32 GByte system

Default XFAST RAM upper limit on a 32 GByte system

I have a Windows 8 Pro 64 bit system with 32 GBytes of RAM. The maximum XFAST RAM will let me set is 23456 MBytes, which leaves about 7.5 GBytes available system memory.

I've been doing comparisons of playing games (DDO and SWTOR) in the following configurations: (all graphics and textures maxed, 1920 x 1200)
    1) Boot and play from a 500 GByte 7200 RPM mechanical harddrive
    2) Boot and play from a OZC Vertex 4 SSD
    3) Boot and play from a 500 GByte 7200 RPM mechanical harddrive with a 22.9 GByte Ram drive with the entire Game copied to the RAM Drive

DDO is about 9.5 GBytes and SWTOR is 22.4 GBytes (just barely fits, about 46 MBytes Free

It takes about 2 minutes to copy DDO. It takes about 5 minutes to copy SWTOR

As far as Game load screens go, both DDO and SWTOR can take a noticeably long time (10's of seconds to minutes) when running from a mechanical harddrive.

When playing from the SDD or the RAM Drive, the Load Screen feel is the same (few seconds). I haven't bothered with using a stop watch to time the load screens, because I am supposing that part of the delay is the internet connection. I have a fairly high speed connection...35Mbits/second.

If you are thinking of getting lots of RAM and running games from a RAM drive...I'd go for a bigger faster SSD instead.

Most amount of RAM I've ever used is about 9.5 GBytes. I could use more with photo/video editing, but I don't do that very often. Typical RAM usage is about 5 to 6 GBytes

Any thoughts on why XFAST Ram is limiting to 22.9 GBytes? I'd like to take it up to 28 GBytes and test WoW

Shiari is offline Member

Default Re: XFAST RAM upper limit on a 32 GByte system

If load speed is *that* important, still go for playing from the SSD. The game won't load all of the data in memory to start with, so you're first spending a lot of time to preload a lot of data of which much of that data will be not or barely used. And in the process you're spending so much of your available memory that the OS (or maybe even the game) won't be able to cache the data once it's loaded already either.

For proper testing you'd need to reboot between each test, or the OS cache might skew the results. And why you can't use more than the 22.9 GBytes for the ram drive I don't know, but there would be very few use cases where I could possibly recommend a ram drive that big.

Default Re: XFAST RAM upper limit on a 32 GByte system

You are correct about spending time to preload, but dragging the folder to copy the entire install takes seconds and then for then next few minutes, I can get my drink and snacks set up.

The load speed between changing zones can be a real pain...waiting several minutes is irritating (I can watch the solid harddrive light so I know it's waiting on the harddrive). Both the SSD and ram drive turned that into seconds.

Would game otherwise cache the data? Maybe, I believe most do these games are 32bit games, so that's a 2 or 4 GB limit depending on how it was coded. On Windows XP DDO was using about 1GB and SWTOR was using right at 2GB...game play changed dramatically by installing 4GB (only using 3.2 on a32bit system). I had my Win XP system very trim 17 processes and less than 180 MBRAM used at boot time.

Win 8 is a different story. I run hot plug drives, so I normally game from an SSD and then have several other drives for other purposes...business, web browsing, testing, backups....each drive is bootable...just just down, pop the button, swap the drive, and go. New stuff goes on the testing drive. If I liked it I'll move it to a different drive...testing drive ever gets compromised...wipe and reinstall...much faster than trying to solve what went wrong.

i'll check the memory usage next time I'm running the games, but I'm betting its under 5GB...win8 can be a real hog. I've got it optimized to around 700MB, but on the non optimized drives it runs 2.5 GB without even loading any programs...maybe that's the problem I've been testing on a non optimized drive...might be able to get another GByte or so if I clean up all background and startup stuff.

Thread Information