Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Opinion on the Z77 Extreme6 board

CRRacer is offline Junior Member

Default Re: Opinion on the Z77 Extreme6 board

Stuff is in. Only thing I've inspected are the case and mobo, all looks great. Always concerned about those delicate pins, but they appear to be perfect. Hopefully get some time this evening to do an out of case boot and see about updating the bios. So far, I'm impressed with the Enermax Hoplite case. My favorite is the Cooler Master 690II, the Enermax resembles including the hot swap sata tray up top (I use this all the time on my two i7 builds, disappointed to see they didn't include it on the new 690III case).
    Rod

ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ASUS Sabertooth Z77
    i7-2600k i7-2600k
    G-Skill 16GB Ripjaw X DDR3 1866 G-Skill 16GB Sniper DDR3 1866
    Cooler Master 692 II Advanced USB 3.0 Cooler Master 692 II Advanced USB 2.0
    EVGA GTX670FTW Sig2 EVGA 2XGTX560Ti FPB SLI
    Corsair HX850 Silver Plus Cooler Master Silent Pro 850
    Crucial M4 128GB SSD Samsung 830 128GB SSD

Had time to do an OBB on this board. No issues until windows install, and not really an issue, more compatibility.

Using the CoolerMaster Seidon 120M, the i5-3570k stays cool, ~28-29 range at idle. OC'd without issue to 4.2, OC to 4.4 and WEI in windows 7 wouldn't complete, it would shut down during the DirectX 10 texture test. This may be me and the BIOS. All settings were left to auto, only raising the multiplier. I didn't OC the iGPU, and there is a setting above the CPU over clock (something with a '30') at the end that was left disabled, I have no idea what this is, input here would be appreciated). Will try 4.4 again after build is complete with the GTX760 installed. If it won't go 4.4, I'm ok with that, however, temps weren't an issue at 4.4 and CPUz showed nearly identical vcore voltages while it was boosting to 4.4 as it did when it boosts to 4.2, don't recall seeing them go over 1.12, temps under both clocks settings were within a degree of each other and way cooler than my 2600K builds (but again, this is out of box build at the moment).

Board shipped with 2.60 bios, updated to 2.80 which also updated the ME firmware.

The only 'issue' I had was with the USB ports. The top two by the PS/2 connector are USB 3.0, they worked fine in bios and windows after drivers loaded for the keyboard and mouse. Initially to install windows, I moved the keyboard/mouse down to the only two USB 2.0 ports. After all drivers were installed, I connected my Netgear WNA3100 USB wifi adapter to one of the top two USB 3.0 ports, it was initialized and I installed the drivers. It connected to my router, but it would go in and out of having internet access (yellow ! would appear and disappear over signal bars). As well, It would show no home group to connect too, nor would it show my NAS or WHS 2011 server. Moved keyboard/mouse back to the top USB 3.0 ports, and the Netgear wifi adapter down to the USB 2.0 port and everything clicked, it instantly recognized there was a home group, I had internet access, and it would show my NAS and server (which are not part of a home group). I suspect that the top USB 3.0 ports are controlled by the etron controller. I don't have an issue with this adapter when connected to the USB 3.0 ports on my Exreme4 which has the ASMedia controller. It's not a big deal, but appears there is a compatibility issue there.

I had briefly thought about swapping the Extreme6 for my Extreme4, pairing the 6 with my i7-2600k, but I like the USB configuration on the back of the Extreme4 better. This is a beautiful board, excellent layout, and tons of fan connectors.
    Rod

i7-2600k i7-2600k

Quote Originally Posted by CRRacer View Post
    Had time to do an OBB on this board. No issues until windows install, and not really an issue, more compatibility.

Using the CoolerMaster Seidon 120M, the i5-3570k stays cool, ~28-29 range at idle. OC'd without issue to 4.2, OC to 4.4 and WEI in windows 7 wouldn't complete, it would shut down during the DirectX 10 texture test. This may be me and the BIOS. All settings were left to auto, only raising the multiplier. I didn't OC the iGPU, and there is a setting above the CPU over clock (something with a '30') at the end that was left disabled, I have no idea what this is, input here would be appreciated). Will try 4.4 again after build is complete with the GTX760 installed. If it won't go 4.4, I'm ok with that, however, temps weren't an issue at 4.4 and CPUz showed nearly identical vcore voltages while it was boosting to 4.4 as it did when it boosts to 4.2, don't recall seeing them go over 1.12, temps under both clocks settings were within a degree of each other and way cooler than my 2600K builds (but again, this is out of box build at the moment).

Board shipped with 2.60 bios, updated to 2.80 which also updated the ME firmware.

The only 'issue' I had was with the USB ports. The top two by the PS/2 connector are USB 3.0, they worked fine in bios and windows after drivers loaded for the keyboard and mouse. Initially to install windows, I moved the keyboard/mouse down to the only two USB 2.0 ports. After all drivers were installed, I connected my Netgear WNA3100 USB wifi adapter to one of the top two USB 3.0 ports, it was initialized and I installed the drivers. It connected to my router, but it would go in and out of having internet access (yellow ! would appear and disappear over signal bars). As well, It would show no home group to connect too, nor would it show my NAS or WHS 2011 server. Moved keyboard/mouse back to the top USB 3.0 ports, and the Netgear wifi adapter down to the USB 2.0 port and everything clicked, it instantly recognized there was a home group, I had internet access, and it would show my NAS and server (which are not part of a home group). I suspect that the top USB 3.0 ports are controlled by the etron controller. I don't have an issue with this adapter when connected to the USB 3.0 ports on my Exreme4 which has the ASMedia controller. It's not a big deal, but appears there is a compatibility issue there.

I had briefly thought about swapping the Extreme6 for my Extreme4, pairing the 6 with my i7-2600k, but I like the USB configuration on the back of the Extreme4 better. This is a beautiful board, excellent layout, and tons of fan connectors.
    (something with a '30')
    Yeah I use that setting for over clocking, I up the voltage to around 1.3(@ 4.4) also the CPU load line calibration I use the top one(I think its 1) as it shows the least reduction. I don't use the CPU off set voltage, I just manually do it. Turn off spread spectrum, if its shutting down under stress test then your voltage is low. I use Intel Burn Test for stability, you shouldn't have a issue with temps even at 1.3v with a good cooler. From the sounds of it you just need a bump in voltage at the settings your using........Then once you get stability you can back off the voltage little by little till you get what you like.
    Asus RIVE
    Intel 3930K WATER
    RIPJAWX2133 16GB
    SLI-Asus GTX780 TI DCII OC
    CorsairAX1200

http://www.3dmark.com/3dmv/5003339

Thanks for the input, I will give this a try.
    Rod

i7-2600k i7-2600k

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information