Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: extreme x79 mbd

Default extreme x79 mbd

G'day Guys,

I am trying to install 2 x Intel SSDs in place of a WD hard drive. I want to set RAID 0. When I start altering the UEFI setup in the ADVANCED SCREEN I can select RAID okay. The next step, according to the 'Asrock Guide to Sata Hard Disk Installation and RAID Configuration' manual is to select BOOT -> CSM. There is no CSM any where on screen. I can get no further. If I ignore that and start to load Windows 7 from the DVD then the installation calls for a Floppy drive to load the driver for the DVD. Can a USB device be used to load the DVD driver or will I have to get a Floppy?

My system is:-
    Asrock x79 extreme3 Motherboard
    1 x TSSTcorp CDDVDW DVD drive ......on SATA2_0
    2 x Intel SSDs.................................on SATA3.0 & SATA3.1
    1 x WD10EZRX-00A8LB0 hard drive......on SATA3_A0
    Syncmaster Screen + 3 x Benq Projectors
    ATI Radeon 7850 Video Controller
    8 GB RAM

Alby

Default Re: extreme x79 mbd

First, CSM is a setting in the BIOS, and it's for a legacy boot not for booting in UEFI. There are two boot's, booting in BIOS and booting UEFI, you enable CSM when you want to boot BIOS. Also in the BIOS you should be able to choose the RST or the RST-E RAID option ROM.

If you are installing win 7 or 8 you don't need a floppy, they have the controller drivers.

You need to hit CTRL & I to bring up the Intel option ROM to create the RAID array. Then re-boot.

All you need to do is hit F11, or your boot key at boot or after you see the option rom boot, and choose UEFI boot on the DVD, but the win 7 DVD must have UEFI boot on it or you won't see UEFI boot.

Then when installing windows and you get to the drive screen, just pick new and apply, this will create partitions, then just hit install to the largest one, you will see Drive 0, recovery, system, MSR, and primary, install to primary, it should already be highlighted.
    Last edited by odiebugs; 08-16-2013 at 12:32 PM.

If you hit CTRL & I, you will see either a 3.5 or a 11 or 12 series option ROM.

Any 3 is the RST-E, any 11 or 12 is a RST ROM.

The BIOS for sandy bridge-e are missing from asrock so I can't see what you have for ROM versions.

******************* do not update the bios to 2.60 until you install the ivy bridge-e ******************* OR JUST BEFORE YOU INSTALL THE NEW CPU.

Don't put the HDD on the A0, that is the asmedia, use the native Sata 2 ports.
    Last edited by odiebugs; 08-16-2013 at 12:44 PM.

G'day Odiebugs,

Thanks for your swift reply. I appear the be getting two screens with the entry to BIOS settings. The second comes up after a brief flash of the first one. I have hit the ctl-i for both but land in the UEFI BIOS. I will thrash about a bit longer before updating my results.

Alby

I don't see a CSM option in your BIOS, so you should go to exit in the BIOS, load the UEFI defaults, then save and restart, now enter the BIOS again, now you need to set the storage config.

Set to RAID, then set RST, then go to boot screen and make sure full screen and Option ROM are enabled.

Now save and exit.

Now restart and hit CTRL & I to bring up the Intel option rom, make the array, save reboot.

Now hit the F-11 and choose UEFI DVD.

You might need to hit them several times, the CTRL & I and the F-11, just keep tapping when you first boot for each.

Not sure about two screens, there is only one screen in the BIOS, no matter which you choose, BIOS or UEFI there is only one screen.

The other screen you should see is the option rom when you hit CTRL & I.

P.S. 128k is the best stripe size in the option rom.
    Last edited by odiebugs; 08-16-2013 at 01:06 PM.

G'day Oudiebugs,

I have created a volume. Thanks! I will continue. I don't know why I was unable to get in as I did not do anything different. Never to old to learn new things.

Alby

Quote Originally Posted by albertbjames View Post
    G'day Oudiebugs,

I have created a volume. Thanks! I will continue. I don't know why I was unable to get in as I did not do anything different. Never to old to learn new things.

Alby

Once you get windows installed, you want to install the chipset INF files/drivers. The chipset drivers are not drivers, they are INF files.

Don't install the RST drivers, allow the Microsoft drivers to remain.

Once you have all the drivers installed, you need to run WEI, that is the performance index in windows, this will pre-bench the Sata 3 port, now reboot.

Now you can bench the RAID array with as-ssd or ATTO.

Then if you want you can install the 11 .7 RT driver, run WEI, now restart, then bench the system, see which driver works better for you. If you get better performance from the MS driver just roll back the driver in devise MGR.

Pay attention to the OPTION ROM, if you have a 11 series OROM, you want to use the 11 series driver. If the OROM is a 12, you want to use the 12 series drivers.

Remember if you are running the RST OROM and use win 7, the RAID array will have TRIM support. The RST-E does not have TRIM. Win 8, and 8.1 have poor TRIM, win 8.1 might get better when it goes RTM, but so far 9471 is still poor.
    Last edited by odiebugs; 08-16-2013 at 01:27 PM.

G'day Odiebugs,

This is confusing. In the ADVANCED screen I have:-
    SATA MODE set to RAID
    ASMEDIA SATA3 MODE set to AHCI
    ASMEDIA SATA3 BOOTABLE = NO
    SATA3_0 Intel SSD.....
    SATA3_1 Intel SSD.....
    SATA2_0 TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-222BB (DVD drv)
    SATA2_1 WDC WDEZRX-000A8LB0

The BOOT screen I have:-
    Boot Option #1.....UEFI: TSSTcorp......
    Boot Option #2.....RAID: Intel Vol
    Boot Option #3.....Disabled
    Setup Timeout 5
    Boot Num-Lock on
    PCI ROM Priority Legacy Rom
    Full Screen Enabled
    Addon ROM display enabled
    Boot from Onboard LAN Disabled
    Boot Failure GuardEnabled
    Boot Failure Guard Count 3

The Windows 7 DVD still wants a floppy

Alby

Looks perfect.

So you choose option 1 for boot, you boot UEFI TSST, what happens exactly, because like I said, win has the RST iastora.sys iastorf.sys drivers in it, there is no need for a floppy.

If this keeps happening, then take a USB formatted fat 32, and copy the RST floppy drivers to it from the asrock site, put the flash drive into a USB 2.0 slot and reboot and try the install again.

use these- Intel SATA Floppy Image (RST) ver: 11.7.0.1013

TSST, I actually think that windows might not have the drivers for your DVD, and it's not asking for RST drivers but for the DVD rom.

If you try the flash drive with the drivers on it and it won't work, I think it's the DVD rom.

You need to get Rufas, just google it, Rufus 1.3.2, then follow the instructions, this will make a fat 32 bootable windows flash drive, then you can install from the flash drive in UEFI mode, the flash can't be NTFS which is what Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool will make, UEFI can't see the NTFS flash drive only fat.

Must sleep, good luck.
    Last edited by odiebugs; 08-16-2013 at 01:58 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information