Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Z87E-ITX cannot update BIOS to v1.90

Default Z87E-ITX cannot update BIOS to v1.90

On my ASROCK Z87E-ITX I have BIOS v1.80 and would like to upgrade to v1.90. The problem is that whether I use the Instant Flash, DOS or WIN, BIOS upgrade, on restarting my PC if freezes on the initial screen with no activity (I've left the PC running for up to 15 minutes just in case). Eventually, I have to power off the PC, do a CMOS reset by jumping the 2 pins on the system board, and then it will boot up (though the BIOS hasn't been updated).
    If I use the Instant Flash (either F6 or going into the BIOS) it finds the BIOS update file (Z87EITX1.90) on my USB drive, but appears to freeze at that point never allowing me to select the BIOS file to flash.

Any thoughts?

Default Re: Z87E-ITX cannot update BIOS to v1.90

Ok, I figured it out. For some reason, having a hard drive connected to SATA 0 seemed to cause the BIOS upgrade to stall at startup. As soon as I powered off and unplugged it, and powered the PC back on, it started the process of upgrading the BIOS.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Z87E-ITX cannot update BIOS to v1.90

Quote Originally Posted by pandarus64 View Post
    Ok, I figured it out. For some reason, having a hard drive connected to SATA 0 seemed to cause the BIOS upgrade to stall at startup. As soon as I powered off and unplugged it, and powered the PC back on, it started the process of upgrading the BIOS.
    That makes no sense, or really should not happen. I wonder if the freezing issue in the BIOS is the same as seen on some other ASRock boards, where the audio apparently caused the freeze. Otherwise there is some other bug, possibly in the Instant Flash.

I've used Instant Flash on my ASR Z87 Ex 6 board several times, and it has worked fine. Yes, I have a drive connected to the SATA 0 port.

Thread Information