Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 110

Thread: IMPORTANT BIOS Update Information For ASRock Intel 6 Series and X79 Chipset Mother Boards




  1. #11
    parsec's Avatar
    parsec is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Third stone from the sun
    Posts
    4,824

    Default Re: IMPORTANT BIOS Update Information For ASRock Intel 6 Series and X79 Chipset Mother Boards

    Well jaggerwild, we both know that PC enthusiasts like to try new BIOS/UEFI versions. Your point about not fixing what's not broken is true, but new features and options are included in new BIOS versions, as well as fixes for things we did not know are less than perfect. So a new version can be "less broken" than past versions. Plus how many times have you found new things in a BIOS update that was not mentioned in the description or release notes? Not always, but it does happen.

    The "All BIOS" thing in the CPU compatibility chart is really an entry that has not been modified since the IVB compatible BIOS versions were released. Plus those entries mean how far back in the BIOS versions is the CPU compatible, not forward, or in a range. Or at least that is how the chart is configured. A new CPU model may not be supported by the first BIOS (like IVB), but the first BIOS for a CPU released with the chipset and board will (or should) be.

    Plus the big question, are the IVB compatible BIOS versions also compatible with SB CPUs, given the update is done correctly, ie, correct IME software and firmware? That is the question that remains unanswered. You and others may think that is obvious (they aren't), which I can understand, but is it SO difficult and painful to put that one sentence on the download entry for the file?

    If they are not compatible, that signals an end to BIOS updates for SB CPU users of those boards, which seems to be a forbidden topic.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Minnesnowda
    Posts
    225

    Default Re: IMPORTANT BIOS Update Information For ASRock Intel 6 Series and X79 Chipset Mother Boards

    Yeah I thought the new Intel chips were reverse compatible, with Bios update of course. Yeah put that statement in there as some change the bios to quickly(I guess my statement had a little fear factor in it), I have opened up new options in a bios with an up date. today I updated an AsRock 970 pro3 Bios, the board was cracked I fixed it then updated the bios.
    Plus updating the Bios is not like it used to be, less hectic and less chance of loss. As a bonus here is a great "USB" tool for flashing the Bios (made it very easy for me with this). It works on any board, I've done many with it.

    Link to the instructions on how to
    User guide for MSI HQ Forum Flash Tool | MSI HQ User-to-User FAQ

    (PS) you have to find the link in the forums, I guess they want to make it hard.
    Asus RIVE
    Intel 3930K WATER
    RIPJAWX2133 16GB
    SLI-Asus GTX780 TI DCII OC
    CorsairAX1200



    http://www.3dmark.com/3dmv/5003339

  3. #13
    parsec's Avatar
    parsec is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Third stone from the sun
    Posts
    4,824

    Default Re: IMPORTANT BIOS Update Information For ASRock Intel 6 Series and X79 Chipset Mother Boards

    The compatibility... direction or what is compatible with what is the main unanswered question IMO.

    As we now are entering the second phase of that, with SB-E processors and X79 boards that can use IVB-E processors, myself and others are wondering what the situation will be with that. It looks like you (that crawling bug avatar drives me crazy, but I also like it, funny...) have a SB-E processor and board, so you potentially could join the IVB-E club.

    The big question is, once a SB chipset board (which X79 qualifies as a SB type chipset, although in a class by itself) is updated to IVB/IVB-E UEFI/BIOS and IVB IME firmware and software, will that board no longer work correctly with SB/SB-E processors? I'm starting to see that notion as obviously not realistic, but why no one (board manufactures, Intel) can't just say, "No, that will not work", is beyond me.

    IMO, the final irony of all this is I have an i7-2600K CPU (SB) in a Z77 chipset (IVB) board, with IVB UEFI/BIOS, IVB IME firmware and software, and it works like a charm! Easily the most trouble free and cool running PC I have used now or in the past, that when OC'd to 4.5GHz on a small AIO water cooler, is seemingly just cruising along like it's no big deal. That configuration has never been even mentioned as something to take care with, and I would heartily recommend it to anyone.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Minnesnowda
    Posts
    225

    Default Re: IMPORTANT BIOS Update Information For ASRock Intel 6 Series and X79 Chipset Mother Boards

    Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    The compatibility... direction or what is compatible with what is the main unanswered question IMO.

    As we now are entering the second phase of that, with SB-E processors and X79 boards that can use IVB-E processors, myself and others are wondering what the situation will be with that. It looks like you (that crawling bug avatar drives me crazy, but I also like it, funny...) have a SB-E processor and board, so you potentially could join the IVB-E club.

    The big question is, once a SB chipset board (which X79 qualifies as a SB type chipset, although in a class by itself) is updated to IVB/IVB-E UEFI/BIOS and IVB IME firmware and software, will that board no longer work correctly with SB/SB-E processors? I'm starting to see that notion as obviously not realistic, but why no one (board manufactures, Intel) can't just say, "No, that will not work", is beyond me.

    IMO, the final irony of all this is I have an i7-2600K CPU (SB) in a Z77 chipset (IVB) board, with IVB UEFI/BIOS, IVB IME firmware and software, and it works like a charm! Easily the most trouble free and cool running PC I have used now or in the past, that when OC'd to 4.5GHz on a small AIO water cooler, is seemingly just cruising along like it's no big deal. That configuration has never been even mentioned as something to take care with, and I would heartily recommend it to anyone.


    I think there not back wards compatible, least for me on the Asus X79 board, the tech support stated it wasn't as I wanted to backwards flash it(till I realized the broken board) cause my bios before the CAPS conversion was over clocking better before the whole fandango. Presently I'm awaiting my new Asus X79, to see if that even factored in as now I am suppose to get a brand new board(we shall see).
    Yeah I had a 2500K and a 2600K and loved them, I loved them so much that I'm selling off my 3570K to go back wards and get another 2500K and a maximus Gene as that has been the best combo I ever had. The X79 is for multi GPU congif's as I have many and want to run some score's, once I get it back and working again.......... Selling off my Z77 AsRock as I should have gotten the OC version and these Ivy Bridge CPU'S are very board dependent on the Over Clock my 3570 only did 5Ghz on this board. Very different from the Asus boards I'm used to.
    Asus RIVE
    Intel 3930K WATER
    RIPJAWX2133 16GB
    SLI-Asus GTX780 TI DCII OC
    CorsairAX1200



    http://www.3dmark.com/3dmv/5003339

  5. #15
    parsec's Avatar
    parsec is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Third stone from the sun
    Posts
    4,824

    Default Re: IMPORTANT BIOS Update Information For ASRock Intel 6 Series and X79 Chipset Mother Boards

    Quote Originally Posted by jaggerwild View Post
    I think there not back wards compatible, least for me on the Asus X79 board, the tech support stated it wasn't as I wanted to backwards flash it(till I realized the broken board) cause my bios before the CAPS conversion was over clocking better before the whole fandango. Presently I'm awaiting my new Asus X79, to see if that even factored in as now I am suppose to get a brand new board(we shall see).
    Yeah I had a 2500K and a 2600K and loved them, I loved them so much that I'm selling off my 3570K to go back wards and get another 2500K and a maximus Gene as that has been the best combo I ever had. The X79 is for multi GPU congif's as I have many and want to run some score's, once I get it back and working again.......... Selling off my Z77 AsRock as I should have gotten the OC version and these Ivy Bridge CPU'S are very board dependent on the Over Clock my 3570 only did 5Ghz on this board. Very different from the Asus boards I'm used to.
    Interesting, so I suppose the entire issue from the board manufacture's perspective (and Intel's), is they don't want to say, "After BIOS XYZ-123, only Ivy Bridge processors are supported. IOW, the lack of cross generation processor and board compatibility that Intel gets beaten for, compared to AMD, that Intel finally seemed to provide, is not all perfectly compatible as we were led to believe, or would like to think.

    Or is it the same way with AMD? Say you use a BIOS compatible with an 8150 or 8350, but are still using an earlier AM3+ processor, does it work Ok?

    Your 3570K "only" did 5GHz on the ASR board? Only! Actually, I've finally noticed how easily my 3570K runs at 4.5GHz at under 1.2V on my ASR Z77 Ex 4 board. Or I should say, I appreciate it now that I see how my Haswell system runs.. no chance that fast on that much voltage, and much hotter at lower speeds using the same CPU cooler setup, with very close case cooling, etc. Now I'm looking at my 2600K on the same board, lazily set to Auto CPU voltage at 4.5GHz, which idles at room temperature (SpeedStep on of course) all year long, and realizing what I'm not doing!

    What I want is a SB CPU in a Z87 board! People say the PC enthusiast/OC market is small, and I get it, but then why does Intel keep such tight control on the board's features and CPU OC capability, if that is true? When I heard that IVB-E has a soldered IHS, I knew that means mainstream IVB and Haswell is crippled with no solder for no reason than to hold them back. People are complaining that IVB-E is not that good compared to SB-E, which I understand, but try Haswell if you want to be upset! If there was an X87 chipset (X79 should have been called X69) for IVB-E that was the same as Z87, I'd go for that big time!

    Here's something I just thought of, you know how AMD has pretty much kept the same CPU socket and chipsets over several generations of processors, which users like, while Intel is always changing the CPU socket and chipsets, which users don't like much? Meanwhile, it is generally accepted that Intel is leading in the performance of their processors over AMD, as well as Intel adding more features like PCI-E 3.0 and native USB 3.0? What if AMD held themselves back by using the same socket and chipset architecture? IOW, the very thing that AMD customers wanted ended up hurting AMD in the end?

  6. #16
    WilliamM2 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    51

    Default Re: IMPORTANT BIOS Update Information For ASRock Intel 6 Series and X79 Chipset Mother Boards

    I have a Asrock Fatality P67-Performance and an i5 2500K. I updated the bios twice with the newer Ivy bridge versions well over a year ago. No issues at all.
    ASRock > Fatal1ty P67 Performance

    The first update (2.10) I did using a USB stick, by the time the second update was available (2.20), the only available updates were the Windows flash version.

    When this was going on over a year ago, it seemed the issue was people not updating the bios correctly (removing the usb stick too soon). I think this may be why they removed the usb instant flash versions.

    If you search posts from last year, several other users also reported no issues. At least with P67 boards, the boards are still compatible with Sandy Bridge.

  7. #17
    parsec's Avatar
    parsec is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Third stone from the sun
    Posts
    4,824

    Default Re: IMPORTANT BIOS Update Information For ASRock Intel 6 Series and X79 Chipset Mother Boards

    Quote Originally Posted by WilliamM2 View Post
    I have a Asrock Fatality P67-Performance and an i5 2500K. I updated the bios twice with the newer Ivy bridge versions well over a year ago. No issues at all.
    ASRock > Fatal1ty P67 Performance

    The first update (2.10) I did using a USB stick, by the time the second update was available (2.20), the only available updates were the Windows flash version.

    When this was going on over a year ago, it seemed the issue was people not updating the bios correctly (removing the usb stick too soon). I think this may be why they removed the usb instant flash versions.

    If you search posts from last year, several other users also reported no issues. At least with P67 boards, the boards are still compatible with Sandy Bridge.
    Thank you, thank you, thank you, for your post!

    THAT is the information I (we) have been looking for! As you may know, you are the first person in this thread that verified for us that this is the case, that it is possible to use the IVB compatible BIOS/UEFI on a SB chipset board, while still using a SB CPU. I've never done this myself on an ASRock board, so I need input from others to make sense of this.

    But I must ask, do you OC your CPU at all? Do you change your BIOS settings much? Problems with OC settings in the BIOS are one of the supposed side effects of using the IVB BIOS with a SB CPU. Issues like that have already been reported with the IVB-E compatible BIOS when used on X79 boards with SB-E CPUs, but if that is just an update failure, we'd like to know.

    Plus as you say, we have many flavors of chipsets, although they really should not be that different from one another.

  8. #18
    WilliamM2 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    51

    Default Re: IMPORTANT BIOS Update Information For ASRock Intel 6 Series and X79 Chipset Mother Boards

    Yes I overclock. I still have all overclocking options that I had before the updates, and I still run the chip at 4.5 on stock voltage. I can go higher by upping the voltage, but would rather the chip stays nice and cool.

    It may be different with the X79, since it runs different CPU's on a 2011 socket. Seems like an update failure would cause the system not to boot, not just remove overclocking features.
    Last edited by WilliamM2; 09-24-2013 at 11:36 AM.

  9. #19
    parsec's Avatar
    parsec is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Third stone from the sun
    Posts
    4,824

    Default Re: IMPORTANT BIOS Update Information For ASRock Intel 6 Series and X79 Chipset Mother Boards

    My term "update failure" is too general, since I'm including in that the failure of the IME firmware and software update that is part of the update. That occurs when the USB flash drive is removed to early, as you mentioned.

    These updates have three components:

    • BIOS/UEFI update
    • Intel Management Engine firmware update
    • Intel Management Engine software update


    All three are critical for the update to be completed correctly.

    So we have a report of this update working correctly, and OCing the SB CPU works fine.

    I wonder why ASRock was replacing CMOS/BIOS chips on these boards as a fix, rather than having the user perform the update again, correctly?

  10. #20
    WilliamM2 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    51

    Default Re: IMPORTANT BIOS Update Information For ASRock Intel 6 Series and X79 Chipset Mother Boards

    Actually, step three isn't needed. That's a function in Windows, and will have nothing to do with whether the flash is successful or not. Or whether overclocking features would disappear. I have never installed the IME software.

    I think they were replacing chips for people that wanted to go back to an older bios. In the case of my board, all older versions were removed from the download page. Like I said, I'm not sure the missing overclock features were due to a bad flash.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 3 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 3 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •