Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: IMPORTANT BIOS Update Information For ASRock Intel 6 Series and X79 Chipset Mother Boards

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: IMPORTANT BIOS Update Information For ASRock Intel 6 Series and X79 Chipset Mother Boards

nalott, thanks for the reply. We were looking for positive experiences with details about those updates, since initially all we had were people posting issues about these updates. It is clear now that any issues after the update are caused by not following the instructions, just leave the USB flash drive in the PC until Windows boots!!!

Following the instructions, or looking for and reading them seems to be more than some people are willing to do. I will say that these updates should have been labeled more clearly and the instructions made very easy to access and consistent for all boards. Given the only real difference is leaving the USB flash drive in the PC after it restarts upon completing the BIOS update, I assume this was taken for granted.

Default Re: IMPORTANT BIOS Update Information For ASRock Intel 6 Series and X79 Chipset Mother Boards

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    You are using the IVB-E compatible BIOS with a SB-E processor, which I agree should work fine. Add one more to the correctly executed BIOS update procedure results in no issues tally.

If I understand your earlier issue, after you flashed to 2.50, the first thing you did was clear the CMOS afterwards, is that correct? If so, yes that will cause problems, I've seen ASRock state that before but I can't locate an example now, of course... All the ASRock UEFI/BIOS updates clear/reset all the options to default values and remove any saved profiles you have (had.) I have seen other board manufacture's BIOS updates not always do that on every update IIRC. I'm torn about what is better, starting with a clean slate, or the lazy way of the least user intervention. I know the former is safer.
    No, when I flashed 2.50 the first thing I did was nothing. It came up with the mentioned POST error after flashing. Clearing the CMOS didn't do anything.
    A BIOS update doesn't necessarily require to clear the cmos storage, it depends on what changed in the update.

Questions for you, did you change to the IVB-E compatible versions of the Intel IME software, INF file installer, and the ASRock AXTU software, if you use it?
    Yes, with L2.45 and newer I've been using the latest MEI software, chipset drivers as well as AXTU.

Do you OC your CPU? You haven't noticed any issues since the update to 2.80?
    Yes, and I haven't noticed a difference so far. Well, I got one BSOD recently, but I haven't investigated so far. OC on air seems to be the same as on the earlier BIOS versions, I mostly use some tweaked EZ OC settings.
    When it comes to extreme overclocking (dry ice) the board I have seems to suck, it had issues booting at overclocks that work fine on air, certain BIOS settings seem to simply result in crashes, no matter which bios version. I tried 2.20 and earlier as well as 2.80. One of the settings that seemed to cause issues is the loadline calibration, if set to the most extreme level.

svl7, thanks for the further information, quite helpful.

Gordon68 is offline Junior Member

I'll add another successful update to the list, after taking in all the good advice and warnings from parsec I upgraded the bios on my Extreme7 Gen3 from 1.30 to 2.10 today. I am running my Sandy Bridge 2700K at 4800MHz and my pair of 1333MHz mixed with my pair of 1600MHz G.Skill DDR3's running at 1866MHz, all as they were before.

The only issue I'm having is that a drive I connect through external SATA for backups is causing Acronis True Home 2012 to report that the Disk doesn't have BIOS number. If anyone has any ideas on how to fix that please let me know.

Tomorrow I'm updating to 2.30.

Gordon68, thanks for the info and your kind words.

Rather off topic, but...

About your drive issue, is the drive connected via eSATA new, never used before? Or recently wiped with a diskpart clean command? Can the drive be seen in the BIOS if it is connected and you restart the PC? Hot plug enabled for the eSATA port? Initialized in Windows?

Gordon68 is offline Junior Member

Gordon68, thanks for the info and your kind words.

Rather off topic, but...

About your drive issue, is the drive connected via eSATA new, never used before? Or recently wiped with a diskpart clean command? Can the drive be seen in the BIOS if it is connected and you restart the PC? Hot plug enabled for the eSATA port? Initialized in Windows?
    I'm using an eSATA Docking Station Thermaltakeusa**Storage**Docking Station**BlacX : BlacX ST0005U it has a USB 2.0 option that I am not using (using Asmedia eSATA from motherboard). During post it is not showing on screen with other drives but is listed in bios once I enter setup. Before the bios update I could restore backups from a drive inserted in the docking station but now my backup software warns that the drive has not been given a drive number by the bios, so it cannot boot into dos mode and restore from it.

On Topic, I am now running bios 2.30 without any other issues.

You really should create a thread of you own about this issue in this forum, this thread is not meant for anything else except its topic.

Tomys is offline Junior Member

Hi everyone, Please help. I have a X79 Extreme 9 - I7 3930K and I can't update the BIOS 3.9 from beta3.61. every time I boot into F6 or F2, the system recognises (can see) The BIOS file 3.9 in my usb. It doesn't flash itself nor I can install it manually, cause' the machine stalls all I can do is moving the mouse pointer around, but can not click on any thing to work, accept to press restart button to reboot normally. I try too many times (still same problem) and I even try to downwards to BIOS 3.60. but still can not install the 3.60. I can browse the BIOS menu normally. It only stalls when I try to update or downgrade the BIOS.
    Please help..what have I done wrong ? very much appreciate for your help.

It looks like the 3.61Beta should have all the updates that are in 3.60. When you installed 3.61, did you leave the USB flash drive in the PC until Windows completely boots after the BIOS update? That is essential for that update to complete correctly.

3.60 is the Ivy Bridge compatible BIOS update that also updates the Intel IME firmware. I hope 3.61 does the same thing, did you try to flash 3.61 again, and do not remove the flash drive until after Windows boots?

Also, did you update to the new version of the Intel IME software that is required after 3.60 or 3.61 is installed?

If your CPU is OC'd at all, set it to stock settings when trying to flash the BIOS.

BIOS 3.9 is not very important unless you have an IVB-E processor, and even then all it is about is the automatic OC settings for IVB-E processors, which you don't seem to have.

Tomys is offline Junior Member

It looks like the 3.61Beta should have all the updates that are in 3.60. When you installed 3.61, did you leave the USB flash drive in the PC until Windows completely boots after the BIOS update? That is essential for that update to complete correctly.

3.60 is the Ivy Bridge compatible BIOS update that also updates the Intel IME firmware. I hope 3.61 does the same thing, did you try to flash 3.61 again, and do not remove the flash drive until after Windows boots?

Also, did you update to the new version of the Intel IME software that is required after 3.60 or 3.61 is installed?

If your CPU is OC'd at all, set it to stock settings when trying to flash the BIOS.

BIOS 3.9 is not very important unless you have an IVB-E processor, and even then all it is about is the automatic OC settings for IVB-E processors, which you don't seem to have.
    Thanks very much Parsec for your help. I tried to reinstalled IME v8.1.40.1416_1.5M and set to factory default re flash 3.61, but it's still no go... same problem. Do you think, I should format the PC and that will work.? Thanks again..

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread Information