Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ASRock Z87 Extreme6 OC issues (UEFI 2.10)

Ácode is offline Junior Member

Default Re: ASRock Z87 Extreme6 OC issues (UEFI 2.10)

Quote Originally Posted by profJim View Post
    Hey thanks ProfJim, Adaptive Voltage looks very much like "additional turbo voltage" in the older chipsets.

profJim is offline Chief Munchkin + moderator

You're welcome.
    I wonder if using Adaptive Voltage and delidding a Haswell cpu plus Coollaboratory Liquid Pro (or Ultra) will still increase the maximum cpu voltage to ~1.36 volts while stress testing?

Coollaboratory*Liquid Pro - the first heat conduction paste of 100% metall
    Coollaboratory*Liquid Ultra - top performance for High-End systems!

Deliding a 4770K (Haswell). Improving temperatures and maximizing overclockablity.

Google video search: delid haswell
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

parsec is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by scorpian007 View Post
    I had a look at some of the previous threads but didn't really see anything that matched my issue.

My CPU doesn't OC too well, I could probably get 4.5GHz @ 1.27v but it overheats under OCCT really quickly. I think my cooler just sucks though, might have to invest in a H100i.

It seems like the adaptive voltage pushes it way too high even when I set a manual voltage. It's almost as if it's completely ignoring the voltage that I set in the adaptive settings and giving the CPU what it 'thinks' it needs. Would be nice if you could set a maximum in the adaptive voltage and it stayed under it :)
    Welcome to Haswell OCing! 4.5GHz at 1.27V is not bad for Haswell, but it sounds like you're throttling ("... it overheats under OCCT really quickly."), by hitting 100C on one or more cores. I know the voltage seems high, but it really isn't relative to Haswell.

Does OCCT use AVX2 instructions for its test? If so, that is what pushes the CPU into throttling.

AIDA64 allows you to select what is stressed in its benchmark. I can run my i5-4670K with compute, memory, and graphics testing simultaneously, without throttling. But add AVX2 testing to any one of the others at 4.4GHz, and throttling in under one minute. Stock clocks, no throttling.

I use an H60, with dual fans push-pull, with shrouds on my Haswell system. Same setup as my Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge (actually single fans on the SB and IVB), and I've never throttled on either of those, at 4.8GHz on the SB, and 4.6 on IVB. They'll BSOD or lock up at high OCs, but never throttle. I'm not a hardcore OC person, but the first time I've ever seen throttling is on my Haswell PC.

If you'll be judging your Haswell OC by the usual benchmark methods, Prime95, IBT, OCCT, AIDA64, and go with high stress testing with the CPU coolers we considered adequate or great in the past, your CPU/core temps will be near or at the throttling temperature. All the OC enthusiasts at OCN delid their Haswell CPUs, use liquid metal TIM (CLU, CLP) and custom water cooling to keep throttling from happening. Which is why I've stopped trying for an OC higher than ~4.4GHz on my Haswell processor, it's just not worth it for my usage.

For my standard usage, with all CPU power saving options enabled, I can use Adaptive voltage settings and set the OC to 4.4GHz. I'll see jumps in CPU voltage to 1.3V+ but that does not last long.

Another major issue is monitoring CPU core voltage on Haswell PCs, which is more difficult with ASRock boards like ours, IMO. All monitoring programs, including A-Tuning and IXTU, show the VID as the core voltage. The VID and Vcore readings for my SB and IVB PCs are not identical, and the "Vcore" reading on any monitoring program that is not the core VID, is the CPU Input Voltage, nominally 1.800V.

I've had discussions with the author of the HWiNFO monitoring program, and he assures me that the true Haswell core voltage is NOT available on most if not all ASRock Z87 boards. The best he can do is provide the core VIDs, and the "Vcore" reading is the CPU Input Voltage (which I helped him get right, check the HWiNFO forums.) Gigabyte Z87 boards use two monitoring chips in order to provide the (apparently) true core voltage. Using two monitoring chips is unheard of on mother boards, until now.

Another thing I found (apparently) about our ASRock Z87 board, is a discrepancy between the Adaptive Voltage setting in the UEFI, and the actual value. This is in the HWiNFO main information screen, not the monitoring or summary screen, in the Central Processor section. It shows the base CPU core voltage setting from the UEFI, not dynamically unfortunately, but it is read from the UEFI setting. Using Adaptive mode, the display shows a consistent 19mv (0.019V) value beyond the UEFI setting. For example, if the Adaptive voltage is set to 1.000V in the UEFI, the value on the HWiNFO display is 1.019V. The same is true for the iGPU voltage, and Ring voltage. I discussed this with the HWiNFO author, and he believes his reading is correct. Just FYI, 19mv may not seem like much, but if you're worried about high CPU core voltage, then this would matter, no?

scorpian007 is offline Junior Member

Thanks for the info everyone, I tried a base voltage of 1v and an offset of 0.2v but the voltages seem to spike up to 1.4v under load using HWInfo64! If I set the base to 0.8 and the offset to 0.01 then it's at a more reasonable 1.2v under load. However, if I OC to 4.4GHz, the voltage remains at 1.2v and crashes after about 90seconds under load, changing the base or offset causes the voltage to spike up to 1.36-1.4v :(

Shiari is offline Member

Strange ... if I set the base to somewhere under 1v (don't know the exact value, 0.8v does for sure) my and raise the offset accordingly my load voltage shoots up. I had to set the base value higher rather than lower (and the offset lower) to keep the voltage down within reason.

Edit: 1.2V under load likely isn't enough for 4.4GHz btw.
    Last edited by Shiari; 08-21-2013 at 09:34 PM.

I tried pushing for a 1v base and a 0.25v offset with my 4.4GHz OC but it kept ramping up the voltage far higher than what I had set to (1.36-1.4v) so I left it at 4.3GHz which didn't make the voltage go crazy. I guess this is the best I can do for the time being. I know I can get a pretty stable OC at 4.4GHz at a fixed 1.23v but can't get adaptive to work properly in this situation.

Can't complain really, getting an extra 0.8GHz for free :)
    Last edited by scorpian007; 08-21-2013 at 10:41 PM.

Shiari is offline Member

Try 1.1V/0.15V offset instead, you should still see the same idle voltage with that.

1.1v works with a 0.05v (0.1 was pushing it to around 1.3-1.35v) offset and it now maxes out at ~1.25v at 4.4GHz. Only problem now is that OCCT fails in 30 seconds as the cores get up to 90-100 degrees! Looks like 4.3GHz might be the limit for my chip :(

I'll keep experimenting and post back.
    Last edited by scorpian007; 08-21-2013 at 11:06 PM.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by scorpian007 View Post
    1.1v works with a 0.05v (0.1 was pushing it to around 1.3-1.35v) offset and it now maxes out at ~1.25v at 4.4GHz. Only problem now is that OCCT fails in 30 seconds as the cores get up to 90-100 degrees! Looks like 4.3GHz might be the limit for my chip :(

I'll keep experimenting and post back.
    IMO, this result and your earlier experiences are all standard for Haswell. The 4.4GHz wall as I call it is also the point where temperatures become a problem.

4.3GHz may be the limit for you processor without going to extreme measures, such as delidding and custom water loop.

You're right. I don't think it's worth investing in a water cooling system or delidding for another 100-200MHz. Pretty happy with 4.3 though :)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information