Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Asrock 970 Extreme4 Onboard Digital Coax 7.1

Default Asrock 970 Extreme4 Onboard Digital Coax 7.1

Hello,

Got the Asrock 970 Extreme4 motherboard. (
    1. 7.1 CH HD Audio with Content Protection (Realtek ALC892 Audio Codec) )

It should have 7.1 onboard HDsound.

It has 3.5 mm jacks. Optical and digital coax out.

When installing windows 7 or driver from Asrock website. It shows the normal audio devices icon in systembar.
    You can select speakers or digital. Digital enabeling digital coax out.

But in the screen you cant select configure only properties. There is no setting found for 5.1 or 7.1 sound on digital coax.
    Installing the drivrs for the sounchip from realtek website gives me an audio manager panel. I can select channel output up to 7.1, but only for speakers. Not for digital out.

Now I can't imagine they make a mobo so stupid that the didital out only supports 2.0.

Can somebody help me?!

Thanks in advance!

Asrock 970 Extreme4 Onboard Digital Coax 7.1-audio-jpg

And does anyone know the speed of the Hypertransport bus? Asrock website says 4800 Gt/s. Retailers information says 5200 Gt/s.
    Last edited by JamievanM; 08-22-2013 at 06:57 AM.

Leontin is offline Junior Member

Default Re: Asrock 970 Extreme4 Onboard Digital Coax 7.1

not the mobo is the fault. perhaps realtek is to blame. i have the same mobo but i also have an external sound card (Asus Xonar DX) connected to my receiver through optical cable. i change my channel output whithin asus driver and i also have "Speaker" selected as my default, not the "Digital" although i'm listening through optical. you cand try to select speaker as the default and then make a test with right click on speakers ->"Configure Speakers". you should have there 7.1 channel (after select 7.1 output whithin the driver), and then click on "Test" and see if there is sound on every channel like it should.if not make the digital default and then make the test from speakers. you may have already 7.1 channel output but you may not know. you will need a 7.1 channel sound.the best way to check is to play a movie with 7.1 channel sound through "Splash Pro EX player" with "S/PDIF Bitstream" checked on audio output and see if every speaker is playing the right sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Leontin View Post
    not the mobo is the fault. perhaps realtek is to blame. i have the same mobo but i also have an external sound card (Asus Xonar DX) connected to my receiver through optical cable. i change my channel output whithin asus driver and i also have "Speaker" selected as my default, not the "Digital" although i'm listening through optical. you cand try to select speaker as the default and then make a test with right click on speakers ->"Configure Speakers". you should have there 7.1 channel (after select 7.1 output whithin the driver), and then click on "Test" and see if there is sound on every channel like it should.if not make the digital default and then make the test from speakers. you may have already 7.1 channel output but you may not know. you will need a 7.1 channel sound.the best way to check is to play a movie with 7.1 channel sound through "Splash Pro EX player" with "S/PDIF Bitstream" checked on audio output and see if every speaker is playing the right sound.
    Sadly this makes no difference.

Backspeakers are not used. (5.1)

And front speakers give voices in movie with 5.1. When only center should.

Test in device manager gives no sound at speakertest. Left and right with digital test.

Leontin is offline Junior Member

I think I know what's your problem.I remembered that me too I have met that problem at first.by default the sound through optical is PCM (uncompressed audio) and with PCM you will never have 5.1 or 7.1 channel output like it should.the decoding will be done by your receiver.you should see on your receiver that the sound is PCM. you should make the test that i've told you with a movie and Splash Pro EX player and you should see on the receiver that the signal will change to Dolby Digital or DTS (depends on the movie) and be sure that you have your receiver's input sound set to "Digital Auto". i'm lucky because my asus sound card can encode every sound in Dolby Digital and i have 5.1 sound all the time like it should although when I listen music i hit on my receiver "DSP-> All channel stereo" because otherwise it will only hear the front speakers because mp3's are stereo sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Leontin View Post
    I think I know what's your problem.I remembered that me too I have met that problem at first.by default the sound through optical is PCM (uncompressed audio) and with PCM you will never have 5.1 or 7.1 channel output like it should.the decoding will be done by your receiver.you should see on your receiver that the sound is PCM. you should make the test that i've told you with a movie and Splash Pro EX player and you should see on the receiver that the signal will change to Dolby Digital or DTS (depends on the movie) and be sure that you have your receiver's input sound set to "Digital Auto". i'm lucky because my asus sound card can encode every sound in Dolby Digital and i have 5.1 sound all the time like it should although when I listen music i hit on my receiver "DSP-> All channel stereo" because otherwise it will only hear the front speakers because mp3's are stereo sound.

I Have a home theater system . Philisp HTS 5540/12. Digital In.

With my Theatron Agrippa DTS. You can select in the audiomanager of it, dts or dolby or pcm sound. Whenc hanging dts or dolby. It shows up on the HTS.

With my digital onboard it standad sets on 5ch stereo.
    other options I can set to are: stero, and Dolby PLII.

When in my sound settings with the onboard. I go to tab: Supported formats.
    When selecting dts or dolby. You can press the button: Test.

With both it then correctly gives sound 1 by 1 by all 6 speakers(5.1).

ASrock suport said:

download this:

Then I played from this site:
    Download Dolby Digital Plus Demos
    the mountain biking sample, using the TS format.
    Playback in Windows Media Player.

And this works.

Sadly wmp does not play .mkv videos. Which all movies are made in most of the time.

I downloaded splash pro.

I cant get any sound out of that player. Not with 5.1 and not with spdif setting. I use coax, not spdif optical.

Any new tips?!

Quote Originally Posted by JamievanM View Post
    ASrock suport said:

download this:

Then I played from this site:
    Download Dolby Digital Plus Demos
    the mountain biking sample, using the TS format.
    Playback in Windows Media Player.

And this works.

Sadly wmp does not play .mkv videos. Which all movies are made in most of the time.

I downloaded splash pro.

I cant get any sound out of that player. Not with 5.1 and not with spdif setting. I use coax, not spdif optical.

Any new tips?!

Correction

I use Splash pro now with audio settings to spdif. It does not play the test file up here.

But it works PERFECT on mkv videos

Thanks so much!

Thread Information