Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Overclock Z77 Extreme6 i5-3570K

CRRacer is offline Junior Member

Default Overclock Z77 Extreme6 i5-3570K

My new build has been up and running for a couple days, just had a few questions. As for as overclocking goes, with this board and any other Z77 board I have, I pretty much let the bios take care of everything, only raising the multiplier. In this case I originally settled on the pre-defined optimized defaults for OC 4.2. I know WEI isn't the end all be all of bench marks, but I settled on 4.2 as opposed to 4.4 since WEI finishes with 4.2, but wants to close during the dirextX 10 session at 4.4. I postponed posting about this until I had a chance to assemble the PC and install the GTX 760 superclock GPU. Re-tested the system at 4.4, but still no joy in completing WEI. I have since settled on 4.3, completes WEI, as well I ran prime95 for a couple of hours, but perhaps I don't understand it, it just plugs along. I had HWMonitor and CPUz up at the same time as prime, all cores were @ 4.3 and temps were consistent across all cores at 60C. BTW, @ a multiplier of 44, WEI was the only thing to give issue, Prime ran for an hour, and I play a couple different games, no issues.

This Extreme 6 board has Advanced Turbo 30 listed about Load optimized CPU OC settings. If I enable turbo 30, it wants to default to 4.7GHz, I also noticed it changes some voltage values from auto, to something pre-defined I believe. If I disable the turbo 30 and simply select an optimized setting of 4.2 or 4.4, then change the multiplier to 43, that is where I am at right now. It's been since my Asus PQ5-Pro/E8400 that I've done any manual OC, and I have that one running at 4.1 GHz, has been for nearly 3 years now. I was hoping for a nice tutorial on possibly OC'ing this i5 manually, and possibly even besting the optimized settings. I've read where a good manual OC usually functions more efficiently using less voltage than auto and creating less heat.

ASRock Z77 Extreme6
    i5-3570K
    G-Skill F3-14900CL9D-8GBXL
    EVGA GTX760 Super Clocked
    Samsung 830 128 GB SSD
    CM Seidon 120M cooler
    Corsair CX500 PSU
    Rod

ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ASUS Sabertooth Z77
    i7-2600k i7-2600k
    G-Skill 16GB Ripjaw X DDR3 1866 G-Skill 16GB Sniper DDR3 1866
    Cooler Master 692 II Advanced USB 3.0 Cooler Master 692 II Advanced USB 2.0
    EVGA GTX670FTW Sig2 EVGA 2XGTX560Ti FPB SLI
    Corsair HX850 Silver Plus Cooler Master Silent Pro 850
    Crucial M4 128GB SSD Samsung 830 128GB SSD

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Overclock Z77 Extreme6 i5-3570K

A WEI run failing is pretty... bleak, I've never seen that. Since this is a new build and new OS installation I assume (??), did you install the Intel Management Engine software? ASR is calling that a driver on your board's download page, which I suppose is not inaccurate. All your board's and CPU's features won't be working without it, and might explain the WEI failure.

I suppose I've become jaded about over clocking since dealing with a Haswell build, but OCing an Ivy Bridge or Sandy Bridge system is not difficult. I have an i5-3570K in an ASR Z77 Ex 4 board, at 4.4GHz, which is no big deal of an OC IMO. Using that PC now, and haven't messed with the UEFI in quite a while, I'd need to look...

Ok, just did, I have CPU voltage on Auto, the CPU multiplier on All Cores, and 44, Turbo enabled, Additional Turbo Voltage on Auto. If you use a video card, you can set the iGPU voltage to Offset mode, and crank the offset all he way down, and set LLC to 5, so it is just barely alive. Reduces CPU temps a bit. Do the iGPU change by itself and if you get a BSOD or black screen, increase the offset from the lowest a bit. Once you see what voltages are used on Auto, you can try Fixed and Offset at the same for a start, and then reduce the voltage a bit at a time and test for stability.

Really not much to it. Forgot to ask what CPU cooler you're using, which matters. Run your favorite temp monitoring program which hopefully shows the CPU core voltage, and mainly watch the temps. I also always use SpeedStep (EIST) and C-States, so the CPU speed drops to 1.6GHz at idle, that makes a huge difference in idle temps. I mean 25 - 30C difference between idling at 1.6GHz and 4.4GHz. Not to mention ~10 times the power usage between the two.

Since you can run Prime95 fine at 4.4GHz and 60C, you're fine with temps. There are all kinds of IVB OCing guides you can find with a Google search.

CRRacer is offline Junior Member

The CPU cooler is the Sooler Master Seidon 120M water cooler.
    Rod

ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ASUS Sabertooth Z77
    i7-2600k i7-2600k
    G-Skill 16GB Ripjaw X DDR3 1866 G-Skill 16GB Sniper DDR3 1866
    Cooler Master 692 II Advanced USB 3.0 Cooler Master 692 II Advanced USB 2.0
    EVGA GTX670FTW Sig2 EVGA 2XGTX560Ti FPB SLI
    Corsair HX850 Silver Plus Cooler Master Silent Pro 850
    Crucial M4 128GB SSD Samsung 830 128GB SSD

Wanted to chime in, didn't you have the post asking about this combo a week or so ago? I haven't had a chance to give you much advice, I apologize. For some reason to me this set up feels "Stiff" when come paired to the Sandy Bridge chips and motherboards. Then again Sandy Bridges motto was "So easy, a Kid could overclock it". Anyway, I'm using an older water pump(seems to be dieing on me) but here's a few of my gets I got today tooling around. These want more voltage on the CPU then a Sandy does, so more insability more voltage needed, and cooling. These where made with my computer at around 20C, for some reason my bios is Very flaky?

Here's 5Ghz

http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m...CPU-Z3570K.png

Here's 2000 on the memory, Gskill 1600 9-9-9-23

http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m...16002000T1.png

And a run of 3D mark 06(I never use the WEI, its so nooby!) I use 3D mark tests, I mean you R over clocking?

http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m...rwild/06-1.png

Feel fee to use my settings, though they r just ruff Rip N Run settings........
    Attached Images Attached Images Overclock Z77 Extreme6 i5-3570K-06-1-jpg 
    Asus RIVE
    Intel 3930K WATER
    RIPJAWX2133 16GB
    SLI-Asus GTX780 TI DCII OC
    CorsairAX1200

http://www.3dmark.com/3dmv/5003339

Thread Information