Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Z87E-ITX "stuck" multiplier

Fletcherea is offline Junior Member

Default Z87E-ITX "stuck" multiplier

Having a strange situation here with my z87e-itx board.
    Seems the ONLY way my oc sticks around is if I disable speedstep, or turn on "Fixed OC mode"(I think it's called) which basically does the same as speedstep and disables any power saving features.
    I've swapped voltage methods around (fixed, adaptive, etc) just to see if maybe the board is thinking "Hey there's no way that's happening!" to no avail.

Also, using the premade oc profiles for 4.0 to 4.8, do not work either unless I select that fixed oc mode. I'll load up a stress test(prime95 or whatever) and watch all my different monitoring software,
    and the multiplier will never go above stock 34(unless of course I go to that fixed mode). Same story with the A-Tuning software.

Being a tiny itx system I would most certainly like to take advantage of these power saving features. Would really like some tips to something I might have missed, or hear if anyone else has ran into this
    "stuck" 34 multiplier issue I seem to have, thanks!
    Last edited by Fletcherea; 08-26-2013 at 09:50 PM.

Default Re: Z87E-ITX "stuck" multiplier

I guess I'm either dumb or this only has happened to me.
    Or both

parsec is offline Senior Member

We have no idea what your OC settings are, so I'll list mine in general that I use on an ASR Z87 Ex 6 board. It is also possible that your board's UEFI/BIOS does not allow long term OCing, since it is so small.

I also must say you're using a tiny case with one 90mm case fan for ventilation (any others?), plus a GTX 760 video card, which must create a significant amount of heat. Add to that trying to OC an i5-4670K, with Haswell CPUs being among the hottest Intel CPUs ever produced, and possibly the most difficult to keep cool.

What CPU cooler are you using?

Your power supply is just passable for your '760, but understand that Haswell CPUs use a lot of power when OC'd above ~4.3GHz. That PC is not at all proper or capable of OCing a Haswell CPU, IMO.

You mentioned nothing about your CPU and core temperatures, what are they when stress testing? That is something that you must know and monitor at all times when stress testing.

I use a large case with five 140mm fans, and a Corsair H60 CPU cooler with two 120mm fans, and I have seen my i5-4670K reach 100C when stress testing in under a minute, and the CPU's thermal throttling is activated, which reduces the CPU speed.

I use none of the built in OCing options. I have all the CPU power saving options enabled, SpeedStep, C1E, and all C-States down to/including C7.

I have CPU Ratio set to All Cores, and the multiplier set to 43. When set to 44 or above, the CPU temperatures and CPU core voltage are very high, and I am not comfortable with them at that level.

Turbo is enabled. CPU and Cache voltage are set to Auto at first, until I see what voltage the CPU needs. Unfortunately, the only CPU core voltage reading that is possibly accurate is the one shown in the Hardware Monitoring screen in the UEFI. Otherwise, ASRock boards display CPU core VIDs on any hardware monitoring program, which are not an accurate measure of the actual CPU core voltage. In other words, we really do not know what the voltage is, IMO.

I would try loading default settings in the UEFI, and then increase the core multipliers. My CPU cores stay at whatever the max multiplier I am using is while under stress. Yours should at least go to the multiplier setting for a while, which should be recorded with a good monitoring program, like HWiNFO64. I suggest you try that.

We need to know your CPU core temps at idle and when stress testing, what CPU cooler you are using, how many case fans you use and what size, and what version UEFI/BIOS you have.

I'm using a tt water extreme 2.0 mounted in the front of my cube, which has been modded to allow air to go through --->|80mm rear --> dual 120 front|-->
    My load temps under the "fixed oc" setting at 1.3v and 4.4ghz are about 78(stressing, never been over 60 normal use), and idle at 34.
    I'm pretty sure psu is plenty for the cpu and gpu, many people waaay over shoot the wattage they think they need.

I got a decent chip, this isn't about me having a hard time oc'ing, it's just my board not saving settings properly, of which I think I found a fix/work around!
    I end up having to strictly use my keyboard to input the settings, and after the initial reboot, go straight back into the bios, and move over each of your settings
    again, and hit enter over them one last time. I thought I might have just gotten lucky, but went back cleared the cmos, and tried it again, and sure enough
    doing the same as above, my settings held.

Very odd scenario, I probably should rma the board, but its holding good enough for now!
    Preciate the reply parsec.

parsec is offline Senior Member

The PC's cooling sounds much better than it could be, that's good.

You should not need to do what you said you do to get your UEFI settings to be accepted. Something is either wrong with the UEFI, or it does not like your keyboard or mouse. When you enter a value with the keyboard, just try pressing the Enter key before moving on.

Thread Information