Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Asrock Z87 Extreme 6: No sound + OS and software too fast even with deactivated HPET

MRG1980 is offline Junior Member

Default Asrock Z87 Extreme 6: No sound + OS and software too fast even with deactivated HPET

Hello,

I recently bought some components (Motherboard, CPU, RAM and SSD) to update my old system (see the new system below).

When first installing Win7Pro 64bit on the new SSD I had serious speed issues - everything was too fast. So I deactivated the HPET in the UEFI and it worked well for Windows, but not for applications and games.

I tried it then with Win8Pro 64bit and with this OS even the OS itself couldn't be slowed to normal with deactivated HPET.

So my animations for the OS are too fast, the Windows clock is twice as fast and if I hit a key once I get 5 letters. Applications are too fast, too. And Youtube can't load movies at all, for example.

And I have another issue with your Purity Sound Module: It doesn't work at all under Win 7 + 8 Pro 64bit with all updates and latest drivers.

In the Hardware Manager I get Code 10 for the High Defintion Audio Controller. And in the sound setting only Digital Audio (HDMI) appears as well as no item for recording.

Both issues (rapid speed in OS and software and no sound at all) render the mainboard useless for normal usage.

Anyone an idea what to do? I would really appreciate some help...

Thanks & regards,
    Martin

Model Name:Z87 Extreme6
    BIOS Version:P2.100
    System Configuration:
    Processor Type: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz
    Frequency: 3500 Mhz
    Cache Size: 8192 KB
    DDR3_A1: Kingston 8192MB 667MHz (DDR3-1333) 9-9-9-24
    XMP1.3 Profile 1: 1200MHz (DDR3-2400) 11-13-13-32
    XMP1.3 Profile 2: 1067MHz (DDR3-2134) 11-13-13-30
    DDR3_A2: Kingston 8192MB 667MHz (DDR3-1333) 9-9-9-24
    Audio Line-Out: Connected
    COM1: Enabled
    PS2_KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Keyboard Connected
    USB2_1: Logitech, Inc. Keyboard
    USB2_0: Empty
    USB3_1: Empty
    USB3_0: Empty
    USB3_3: Empty
    USB3_2: Canon, Inc. USB Device
    USB2_4: Logitech, Inc. Keyboard
    USB2_5: Empty
    USB2_2: Empty
    USB2_3: Empty
    USB2_6: Empty
    USB3_4: Empty
    USB3_5: Empty
    USB3_6: Empty
    USB3_7: Empty
    LAN Port 1: Connected at link speed 1000Mbps
    LAN Port 2: Disconnected
    SATA3_A1: WDC WD2002FAEX-007BA0, SN:WD-WCAY00643361
    Size:2000.3GB, Max. UDMA:6, Max. Speed:Gen3 (6Gbps), S.M.A.R.T:Supported
    SATA3_A3: Samsung SSD 840 PRO Series, SN:S1ATNSAD702821Y
    Size:256.0GB, Max. UDMA:6, Max. Speed:Gen3 (6Gbps), S.M.A.R.T:Supported
    SATA3_0: WDC WD1002FAEX-00Z3A0, SN:WD-WCATRA577965
    Size:1000.2GB, Max. UDMA:6, Max. Speed:Gen3 (6Gbps), S.M.A.R.T:Supported
    SATA3_2: Hitachi HDS721010CLA332, SN:JP2911HD0ZLBKC
    Size:1000.2GB, Max. UDMA:6, Max. Speed:Gen2 (3Gbps), S.M.A.R.T:Supported
    SATA3_4: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH22NS50, SN:K1MA5NC0723
    Max. UDMA:5, Max. Speed:Gen1 (1.5Gbps), S.M.A.R.T:Not Supported Model Name:Z87 Extreme6
    BIOS Version:P2.100
    System Configuration:
    Processor Type: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz
    Frequency: 3500 Mhz
    Cache Size: 8192 KB
    DDR3_A1: Kingston 8192MB 667MHz (DDR3-1333) 9-9-9-24
    DDR3_A2: Kingston 8192MB 667MHz (DDR3-1333) 9-9-9-24
    Audio Line-Out: Connected
    COM1: Enabled
    PS2_KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Keyboard Connected
    USB2_1: Logitech, Inc. Keyboard
    USB2_0: Empty
    USB3_1: Empty
    USB3_0: Empty
    USB3_3: Empty
    USB3_2: Canon, Inc. USB Device
    USB2_4: Logitech, Inc. Keyboard
    USB2_5: Empty
    USB2_2: Empty
    USB2_3: Empty
    USB2_6: Empty
    USB3_4: Empty
    USB3_5: Empty
    USB3_6: Empty
    USB3_7: Empty
    LAN Port 1: Connected at link speed 1000Mbps
    LAN Port 2: Disconnected
    SATA3_A1: WDC WD2002FAEX-007BA0, SN:WD-WCAY00643361
    Size:2000.3GB, Max. UDMA:6, Max. Speed:Gen3 (6Gbps), S.M.A.R.T:Supported
    SATA3_A3: Samsung SSD 840 PRO Series, SN:S1ATNSAD702821Y
    Size:256.0GB, Max. UDMA:6, Max. Speed:Gen3 (6Gbps), S.M.A.R.T:Supported
    SATA3_0: WDC WD1002FAEX-00Z3A0, SN:WD-WCATRA577965
    Size:1000.2GB, Max. UDMA:6, Max. Speed:Gen3 (6Gbps), S.M.A.R.T:Supported
    SATA3_2: Hitachi HDS721010CLA332, SN:JP2911HD0ZLBKC
    Size:1000.2GB, Max. UDMA:6, Max. Speed:Gen2 (3Gbps), S.M.A.R.T:Supported
    SATA3_4: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH22NS50, SN:K1MA5NC0723
    Max. UDMA:5, Max. Speed:Gen1 (1.5Gbps), S.M.A.R.T:Not Supported
    Last edited by MRG1980; 08-31-2013 at 01:03 AM.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Asrock Z87 Extreme 6: No sound + OS and software too fast even with deactivated HPET

That is a strange problem, the "too fast" thing, which is not easy to describe. I have the same board as yours, and have not seen this problem.

I recently read about a timing issue with Windows 8 (only), that caused HWbot to invalidate all PC benchmark results on Windows 8 systems. I don't think this is related to your issue, but might be why your problem is worse with Windows 8.

So the Windows clock actually runs about twice as fast as normal? Meaning in 30 seconds real time, it changes by one minute, correct? Does this accelerated time thing maintain itself when the PC is shutdown? For example, if you set the Windows clock to the correct time, and then immediately shutdown the PC for a long time (one hour at least), and then start it up, is the Windows clock correct, or at a time that is twice the time beyond how long the PC was shutdown?

That might be a good test to perform. IMO it would indicate that it is a problem with the board if the Windows time was twice what it should be after you started the PC. Windows should have no influence on the time when the PC is shutdown, AFAIK.

Since you installed Windows with your new Z87 board (twice at least), I must ask if you installed the chipset INF files, and the Intel Management Engine (IME) software. If not, you should try installing the versions from your board's download page on ASRock's website. Those drivers are essential for the correct functioning of your board.

Default Re: Asrock Z87 Extreme 6: No sound + OS and software too fast even with deactivated HPET

Hi. Sure I have installed all the drivers. First, from the DVD (which is up to date) and at the next new OS install from the website.

The 2x clock thing wasn't exact. It might be even 3-4x that fast. I have to evaluate this and will report later.

But it is only an example for the strange behaviour. The clap smiley in this forum for example claps like on drugs :) with that bug.

I press a key now just a little longer: aaaaaaaaaaa

See... that happens.

With Win 7 the deactivation of HPET helped at least for the OS. The speed is normal then. Applications like DirectX games still run too fast.

And there is still the sound issue. :(

Do I have a broken board?

Ok, I tested the time thing. The time was just nearly correct. So it only happens, if the system is working.

But I don't think it is (only) an OS issue.

The fact, that deactivating HPET helped at least for Win7 tells me, that there is sth. with the UEFI and Win drivers maybe?

I'm not in the computer business. So I don't know what to do next. :(

I even bought that Win8Pro for testing because I thought it is maybe driver related and Win7 isn't up to date with state of art Hardware...

Ok, seems that I have at least solved that sound issue with your RCT hint.

I prompted:

bcdedit /set current useplatformclock yes

and suddenly after reboot the Intel graphics task icon appeared and sound works, too.

VERY STRANGE.

Still the speed is too high.

Okay, I have fixed it at least for Win7.

Thanks for the hint @parsec.

The strange behaviour for both sound and speed stops if you

1) deactivate HPET in UEFI/BIOS and (yes, deactivate :))
    2) add "bcdedit /set {current} useplatformclock yes" to your boot manager and restart.

After that the drivers for onboard sound and onboard graphic activate themselves and the speed is normal.

Finally... after 3 days of searching and trying, about 6 re-installations of Windows and a bought and activated Win8 Version that I can't use (because the workaround doesn't work for it) I can use the motherboard.

I really hope, that Asrock reads my mails and maybe this forum and develops a firmware update/driver/windows fix for both Win7 and especially Win8.

The board is new on the market. So it's ok. But they should fix this issue. :)

Thanks again @parsec.
    Last edited by MRG1980; 08-31-2013 at 02:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MRG1980 View Post
    Okay, I have fixed it at least for Win7.

Thanks for the hint @parsec.

The strange behaviour for both sound and speed stops if you

1) deactivate HPET in UEFI/BIOS and (yes, deactivate :))
    2) add "bcdedit /set current useplatformclock yes" to your boot manager and restart.

After that the drivers for onboard sound and onboard graphic activate themselves and the speed is normal.

Finally... after 3 days of searching and trying, about 6 re-installations of Windows and a bought and activated Win8 Version that I can't use (because the workaround doesn't work for it) I can use the motherboard.

I really hope, that Asrock reads my mails and maybe this forum and develops a firmware update/driver/windows fix for both Win7 and especially Win8.

The board is new on the market. So it's ok. But they should fix this issue. :)

Thanks again @parsec.
    Great, good to know you have that fixed! I'm glad I was able to point you in the right direction to fix this issue, not that I knew that would happen...

Don't forget that I also use a Z87 Ex 6 board, I've used it for over five weeks, and I have never had this problem. I'm using Windows 8, and have since the first day. Another person that posts in this forum (Shiari) that uses this board, has never had this issue AFAIK. Our PCs are similar, I have an i5-4670K, use a SSD as the OS drive, and use the Intel graphics. I'm not saying that you did something to cause that problem, but I don't understand what fix ASRock would need to do.

Given what you wrote, it seems you need to execute the bcdedit /set current useplatformclock yes command every time you start the PC, or that problem will happen again? If so, something is wrong, unless that command is normally run when Windows starts. That's another clue, I'll check into that just for... fun I wonder if I can break my system like your's was.

Now for a dumb question on my part, did you try clearing the CMOS/BIOS as a fix for this problem? I don't think you mentioned that either way.

On the other hand, you may have discovered an issue that goes beyond the Windows 8 timing problem, you never know...

Yeah, I wonder, too. Because I just changed some components in my computer and did a fresh installation on a new SSD. :)

I did nothing change in BIOS before I experienced that problems.

Don't worry, I wrote that parameter into the boot manager. It is standard for AMD Systems, don't know why Intel doesn't add it. As already mentioned I'm not a computer expert. :)

You can deactivate your platformclock in CMD if you want to try that out. ;)

bcdedit /set {current} useplatformclock false

And I didn't clear the CMOS. Would have been my last step if nothing worked. By the way... what happens then? Just a hard/soft reset of the BIOS settings?

I have tried the solution now with some applications. Games are still too fast, for example flash browser games or League of Legends.

I tried them with just two cores in the Task Manager. Still same problems...

Oh no, that is a shame it is still not right.

A CMOS/BIOS clear will set all the options back to default values, but also resets data in the BIOS that users do not have access to. It is not uncommon for bad BIOS data to cause problems, which is why I suggested clearing the CMOS.

Clearing the CMOS is not dangerous at all, but if you use any BIOS settings that are not default values, you must set them yourself when the PC starts for the first time after you clear it. You should be forced by the BIOS to either go in and change things, or accept default values, when the PC starts after the CMOS clear, a message will appear on the screen giving you those options.

I strongly suggest you try a CMOS clear, it might fix your problem. If it does not fix it, then it is possible the board really has a problem of some kind.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information