Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Z68 Extreme 7 Gen 3 SLI speed issue

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Z68 Extreme 7 Gen 3 SLI speed issue

Andi, thanks for the info, and not to worry about your BIOS update sequence. Both 2.10 and 2.30 are over a year old now, difficult to know even when you performed the update. Since you've had that board for a while now, you probably updated it long ago.

Obviously your PC with that board and CPU works fine, right? Do you OC your '2600K at all?

If you can use a SB processor with the 2.30 BIOS fine, that is a significant statistic for me, so thanks for that.

Parsec, yes when I started with it the mouse control in the BIOS UI was upside down and left to right :-) and didn't even work with some manufacturers mice.

I have over-clocked the CPU but not by much, up to 4Ghz I think but then I have found it isn't necessary and I just need lots of GPU performance.

Cheers.

Andi.
    Intel Core i7 3770K, Asrock Z68 Extreme 7 Gen 3, 16GB Corsair Vengence, OCZ Agility 3 360GB SSD, Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB, 2 x GTX680 SLI. 2 x DVDRW.
    Win 7 SP1. Logitech Z5450, Corsair H60, Zalman Level 10 GT Case.

Hi Parsec, thanks for replying.

I'm awaiting delivery of a new SLi Bridge to at least remove the possibility of that being the problem. The bridge that ASRock provided with my mobo is a rigid PCB design, so I will try both a new flexible and rigid.

I'm also going to remove my ZxR sound card to check it's not taking the PCI-E lanes from the 2nd graphics card (something i didn't think of until now).

Will update you once done over the weekend!

Thanks

GrayWolf is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by SaracenUK View Post
    Hi Parsec, thanks for replying.

I'm awaiting delivery of a new SLi Bridge to at least remove the possibility of that being the problem. The bridge that ASRock provided with my mobo is a rigid PCB design, so I will try both a new flexible and rigid.

I'm also going to remove my ZxR sound card to check it's not taking the PCI-E lanes from the 2nd graphics card (something i didn't think of until now).

Will update you once done over the weekend!

Thanks
    Hi SaracenUK:

As Parsec noted earlier: PCI-E1, PCI-E4, and PCI-E6 are all tied to the NF200 chipset. By putting your Sound Blaster into PCI-E6, you will cause the NF200 to assign x16 to PCI-E1 and x8 to PCI-E4 and PCI-E6. Can you move the Sound Blaster to PCI-E5? It is an electrical x16 slot that provides x4 bandwidth which should be just fine for the sound card. By moving the sound card, you should see that your second video card will now have the full x16 bandwidth provided to it by the NF200 chipset.

I hope that this helps!

@Parsec: As per my own post regarding the "Ultra Fast Boot" option: I am actually running BIOS L2.33A with a Sandy Bridge CPU (Core i5-2500K, non-OC'd) without any noticeable problems.
    Last edited by GrayWolf; 09-08-2013 at 12:36 AM.

Hi all,

Well i removed my sound card today, booted to Windows, ran GPU-Z and both cards were indeed running at x16. Unfortunately I can't move the sound card to another slot as it's directly under the 2nd 670 graphics card and would strangle the airflow to it. So I'll have to make do with one card running at x8.

I can't see this making a huge difference to gaming, afterall I'm still running a score of over 3200 on Unigine Valley and 9000 ish on 3D Mark Firestrike.

So with Ivybridge and Haswell not worth upgrading from Sandybridge imo, i'll make do. Thanks again everyone for assisting!

Now to fix the issues I'm getting with my headphones randomly switching from stereo to 5.1 and back while gaming, another thread methinks!

GrayWolf is offline Junior Member

Cool Re: Z68 Extreme 7 Gen 3 SLI speed issue

Thanks for getting back to us regarding the results of your test. It's a shame that your case doesn't have a side panel (or inside-mounted fan) that can blow air through the area between slots 4 & 5 to help with that airflow issue. :)

The "good news" is that most folks who run SLI usually get x8 speeds to do so with, so you're matching up to everyone else with that configuration anyway!

Happy Gaming!

I'm using the on-board sound at the moment having gone from a watercooled setup where I didn't have to worry about airflow. What other cards do hove installed? Can you not use PCIe 6 for the sound card?

Andi.
    Intel Core i7 3770K, Asrock Z68 Extreme 7 Gen 3, 16GB Corsair Vengence, OCZ Agility 3 360GB SSD, Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB, 2 x GTX680 SLI. 2 x DVDRW.
    Win 7 SP1. Logitech Z5450, Corsair H60, Zalman Level 10 GT Case.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information