Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Extreme 6 Z87 - A2 error and HDD/SDD issues

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Extreme 6 Z87 - A2 error and HDD/SDD issues

You're welcome, but I didn't discover this problem, I just read about it and finally remembered it. I get it about all the time you could have spent chasing a cause, I'm glad you were saved that grief.

Never experienced it myself, so it's interesting to hear it is true from someone with first hand experience, and tried another SSD, confirming it is the case (of course, if the manufacture states it, we know it's serious.)

Your reply is important information for others in the near future, since I've seen a few retailers (in the US at least) selling "refurbished" Vertex 2's at seemingly attractive prices, so more of them are being used again. I'm also wondering if any other SSDs use the same controller.

Also i have issues with Intel ports and my Corsair F3 90 gb sata III ssd bootdrive. It is based on SF 2281 rev 1.0 controller (from 2011) and is randomly recognized by Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H on Intel sata ports. OS is Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1.
    Right now,the only solution that work is Marvell port 0 with right driver installed - no detection issues.
    I saw some ASUS and MSI problems with old SF ssd's. I strongly believe is an incompatibility between Intel sat specs and almost every ssd old than 2012.
    ASUS are the only manufacturer that mitigate the issue thru an major bios update,so it can be done with just a bios update and not a new drive. Anyway i might buy a brand new ssd in the future with another controller than SF wich seems to be kind of lame this days
    Marvell port,despite the fact that work ok,it can be slow sometime...
    Finger cross that my detection problem will vanish with a brand new SAMSUNG 840 PRO drive

Quote Originally Posted by Jaeger View Post
    Also i have issues with Intel ports and my Corsair F3 90 gb sata III ssd bootdrive. It is based on SF 2281 rev 1.0 controller (from 2011) and is randomly recognized by Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H on Intel sata ports. OS is Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1.
    Right now,the only solution that work is Marvell port 0 with right driver installed - no detection issues.
    I saw some ASUS and MSI problems with old SF ssd's. I strongly believe is an incompatibility between Intel sat specs and almost every ssd old than 2012.
    ASUS are the only manufacturer that mitigate the issue thru an major bios update,so it can be done with just a bios update and not a new drive. Anyway i might buy a brand new ssd in the future with another controller than SF wich seems to be kind of lame this days
    Marvell port,despite the fact that work ok,it can be slow sometime...
    Finger cross that my detection problem will vanish with a brand new SAMSUNG 840 PRO drive
    The SSDs that are not compatible with Haswell systems mentioned earlier in this thread (OCZ Agility 2 and Vertex 2) use the Sandforce 1200 controller. Any SSD with the Sandforce 1200 controller will not be compatible with Haswell boards.

I use or have used Intel 520 and 530 SSDs, with the Sandforce 2281 controller in my ASRock Z87 Haswell PC, and they work fine, no detection issues.

I also use a Crucial M4 (Marvell 9174 controller) SSD in my Haswell PC, and it works fine, never a detection issue. The M4 was introduced in the first half of 2011, still uses the Marvell 9174 controller, and can still be purchased today.

If ASUS has an update that allows the use of SSDs with the Sandforce 1200 controller, I've never heard of it. If that is true, OCZ must be relieved, but I would question what was done, since it is the Sandforce 1200 controller and firmware that does not meet SATA specifications, which causes the problem.

You should not have a problem with any Samsung SSD, or really the majority of SSDs, used on a Haswell system. But it is known that Gigabyte has had BIOS issues with SSD detection, and not just with the known Sandforce 1200 controller incompatibility.

I've never had a problem with my ASRock Z87 board detecting SSDs, and there are no BIOS updates to fix any SSD detection issues. We are not seeing any SSD detection issues with ASRock Haswell boards, besides the admitted (by OCZ) Sandforce 1200 controller SSDs.

It's almost ridiculous that you've been forced to use the Marvell SATA ports for your SSD, since Marvell SATA chipsets are not known for their stability. Did you try the latest firmware update for your Force 3 SSD, which can be done with the Corsair SSD Toolbox: Force Series

Intel does not create the SATA specs, but they do follow it, and have become stricter in their implementation of it. The downside of that is we then see what products are sloppy about following SATA specifications.

I tried to update the firmware thru Corsair utility software,but i have OS on my drive and it cannot update... Interesting that SF 2281 work on ASRock Z87,this type of controller has some partial compatibility on certain Gigabyte and MSI mobos. I hope my motherboard ain't broke...

ASUS has indeed an update to adress the issues with SF old drives,in fact kudos to their engenieers who replicated the problem and adressed thru a major bios update!
    After that update,even SF 1200/1600 based ancient ssd's work proper on their mobos. I cannot tell the same thing for other manufacturers...
    I decided to give one last go to my Z87X-UD4H mobo,before sent the damn thing to warranty,than sell this piece of s**t: i'll buy an SAMSUNG ssd (EVO or PRO series) and test/tweak to see the results - as i said before,just fingercross and hope is only an incompatibility issue...

I wonder what ASUS did to allow the use of the SF 1200 controllers. As in sacrifice one thing to allow them to work at the cost of something else. I would not want that BIOS on my board unless I knew what was changed, they had to change some of the power saving features in the Intel SATA interface. Hopefully it is an option that can be selected for the other SF SSDs.

Either Samsung should work on that board... should being the keyword, as the detection issues that Gigabyte apparently has is not good, no reason for it with new SSDs.

Hmm... The irony is that sending the mobo to warranty whithout testing with a new generation drive can end-up with just ''test OK'' label on it as they will test upthere with another ssd,probably a new one - so the only test i can do myself is buying a brand new ssd - that will reveal the detection problem: mobo is broken or Intel chipset is not too happy with my Corsair F3.
    I saw a lot of people with this board with the same problem. Finally they solved with a new generation ssd.
    If i have just bad luck and my mobo is really broke (i have doubts about that though...),the reseller will proceed to RMA and i will sold it and never look back to Gigabyte. In that case i'm pretty sure my next board will be an ROG one

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information