Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Overclocking templetes for the Z77 OC Formula/3770K

Ken429 is offline Senior Member

Default Overclocking templetes for the Z77 OC Formula/3770K

I think I am a convert. I just "replaced" my GA-Z77X-UD5H MB with the ASRock Z77 OC Formula MB. It's up and running @4.5GHz with no known issues at this point. The only problem I ran into so far is the Swiftech Apogee II waterblock/pump won't work because of clearance issues. So at this point I'm using my "discarded" H100 cooler with Noctua fans to keep it quiet. That means the system is running ~3C hotter than the Gigabyte setup with Swiftech water cooling.

I had hoped that all the hype on the NickShih's OC profiles built into the BIOS would give me a few clues on the best settings. Unless I'm missing something all it does is change the multiplier and plug a fixed voltage based on the multiplier that is always too low for my 3770K. I suppose if I were trying to break a record with LN there may be something in there that is unique. I have the system relatively stable @ a multiplier of 45, CPU Voltage in Fixed Mode @ 1.285V and the LLC set to Level 1. Since I became a fan of Offset Mode I tried changing the CPU Voltage to Offset Mode and set the Offset to +.005 (default) and changed the LLC to Level 3. The Offset Mode settings gets about the same Vcore under load as the Fixed Mode. However, the system idles considerably cooler in Offset Mode and the Core Temps under load are several degrees C cooler?!

I'm looking for a little ASRock/Tweaktown help in finding some reasonable OC'ing examples using Offset Mode. Most of the stuff I have found on the Web for this board seem to jam in some outrageous Vcore and take a quick screen shot before it catches on fire! It took a while to figure out what all the settings did to the Vcore on the Gigabyte board and I am look for some help on the ASRock settings and terminology. Help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Ken429; 09-06-2013 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Templates!

Ken429 is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Overclocking templetes for the Z77 OC Formula/3770K

Just a follow up for myself since there does not seem to be a lot of input to this thread! I am able to run this MB/CPU at 4.5GHz with multiple different settings with little change in the Max Core temperatures when running IBT or Prime95. So...if I take the easy way out it will run the 3770K stable @4.5GHz with everything set to Auto! Could not do that with the GA-Z77X-UD5H. I have not tried going beyond 4.5GHz since the Max Core temperature reaches ~85C which is my arbitrary limit.

Thread Information