Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Overclock settings disappeared from BIOS

Gacrux is offline Junior Member

Default Re: Overclock settings disappeared from BIOS

Well, since Asrock totally ignored me, I went ahead and removed the BIOS chip and reflashed everything with a SPI programmer, I also removed the lock bytes in BIOS bin to enable host read and write to Intel ME. My overclock settings, IGP, memory settings, etc are back. Thanks Asrock for nothing.

Hopefully if the problem reappears, with host write enabled I'll be able to reflash Intel ME part without the need of the SPI programmer, it's not funny to have to remove the BIOS from the motherboard socket.
    Last edited by Gacrux; 10-25-2013 at 11:32 AM.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Nice work, that is impressive, good for you!

A BIOS file is not magic, it is a method of programming various settings on processors, chipsets, etc. You learned how to do that for yourself, which is a valuable skill to have. IMO, you gained much more from this experience than you lost, and I'd say it was worth it.

Regarding ASR support, who knows what that actually is. Given what I have seen, few companies put many resources into support. In general they have very modest training, since the majority of questions they get are very basic ("Where's the On button?") Does that support staff even have access to the BIOS engineers? They see no need to have a highly paid and experienced engineer waiting to answer highly technical questions that rarely occur. I'm not saying this is right or a good thing, just that it is the reality.

Any decision to ignore you could range from a lower level person simply not doing their job of passing on your requests, to an upper manager simply instructing someone to not bother with it. Again, not good but just reality.

Your BIOS/CMOS chip may have been partially damaged, but not enough to make it completely non-functional. Of course, to you it is non-functional. I also wonder where the IME firmware "lives", I know it can be updated as part of a BIOS update.

I know that part of the IME software is a program called, "Intel Manageability Engine Firmware Recovery Agent", it is listed among the Windows Programs and Features listing. There are entries in Windows Scheduled Tasks that runs a program that apparently attempts to "recover" the IME firmware. I've seen it run under a few circumstances, such as when the IME software installed or updated. Whether or not this program could recover your IME firmware, I don't know.

Gacrux is offline Junior Member

I made checksums to make sure the bios flash memory is OK.

I'm pretty sure there is something wrong in the UEFI BIOS code that allow the Intel ME to get corrupted even with the host read and write locked.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information