Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: SATA not detected after PSU change

Question SATA not detected after PSU change

Hi!

Yesterday I had a strange problem in my computer.

I had a Thermaltake Toughpower 850W, and I wanted to change it for a better PSU (this one was too old and a noisy). I chose the Corsair AX1200i.
    I disconnected everything, opened the case and changed the PSU.

When I started the PC no SATA was detected (2 HDD, 1 SSD and 1 DVD). I re-checked BIOS configuration and everything was fine (as before changing the PSU).

I changed positions in SATA controller, disconnected everything and connected just one by one... but always "Not detected" appears in UEFI BIOS.

I also tried resetting CMOS and configuring the BIOS again, but it didn't work.

I put again the Thermaltake PSU, but same happened! I did the same tests and always "Not detected".

Any idea?? Maybe the motherboard is broken? I'm always very careful, and this is the first time a motherboard "disables" just all the "SATA controller".

These are my specs:
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.3GHz
    Memory 8192MB RAM
    Hard Drive 128 GB Crucial M4 + 2xWD Caviar Black 1TB SATA 3
    Motherboard AsRock P67 Extreme6 B3
    Video NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 + GeForce GTX275
    Monitor LG 23EA63 + LG W2261VP-PF
    Computer Case Antec Twelve Hundred + Corsair AX1200i

Thank you very much!
    Icaro.

Default Re: SATA not detected after PSU change

Quote Originally Posted by icaroheaven View Post
    Hi!

Yesterday I had a strange problem in my computer.

I had a Thermaltake Toughpower 850W, and I wanted to change it for a better PSU (this one was too old and a noisy). I chose the Corsair AX1200i.
    I disconnected everything, opened the case and changed the PSU.

When I started the PC no SATA was detected (2 HDD, 1 SSD and 1 DVD). I re-checked BIOS configuration and everything was fine (as before changing the PSU).

I changed positions in SATA controller, disconnected everything and connected just one by one... but always "Not detected" appears in UEFI BIOS.

I also tried resetting CMOS and configuring the BIOS again, but it didn't work.

I put again the Thermaltake PSU, but same happened! I did the same tests and always "Not detected".

Any idea?? Maybe the motherboard is broken? I'm always very careful, and this is the first time a motherboard "disables" just all the "SATA controller".

These are my specs:
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.3GHz
    Memory 8192MB RAM
    Hard Drive 128 GB Crucial M4 + 2xWD Caviar Black 1TB SATA 3
    Motherboard AsRock P67 Extreme6 B3
    Video NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 + GeForce GTX275
    Monitor LG 23EA63 + LG W2261VP-PF
    Computer Case Antec Twelve Hundred + Corsair AX1200i

Thank you very much!
    Icaro.

Check/replace sata cables. Put back new PSU as it would not cause issue's if it was new and you confirmed the old one has the same issue now too. The OS is on the 128GB Crucial? Make sure the bios settings are correct (ACHI, Raid, Etc), in the BIOS hit F5 this will reset the bios to defaults. Then reboot back into bios Set the sata settings to what they were when the board worked normal, do not hook up the secondary hard drives till you get it up and running(try the minimal approach) bare basic's one video card. If the DVD/CD is Sata disconnect it for now.
    I re-checked BIOS configuration and everything was fine (as before changing the PSU).
    If everything is fine as before it would boot, or throw an error on Windows splash screen. So clearly its not, again Minimal stuff connected(reconfigure SATA connections). Last resort is remove the mother board(everything else) on to a table trying booting this way. Make sure all power plugs for the mother board are connected (secondary power plugs for the CPU) around the CPU perimeter(8 pin plug).

If its not seeing the Sata connections but everything is set up as before than try different Sata Cables, try these see if they help. Also welcome to the forum!!!
    Asus RIVE
    Intel 3930K WATER
    RIPJAWX2133 16GB
    SLI-Asus GTX780 TI DCII OC
    CorsairAX1200

http://www.3dmark.com/3dmv/5003339

Exclamation Re: SATA not detected after PSU change

Thank you very much for your fast reply!

I just tried everything you said, and I re-connected the 3 drives (2 HDD & 1 SSD) one by one to another computer.
    And... bad news... DVD, SSD and 1 HDD are dead. The other HDD seems to be ok.

I'm wondering about what happened, and... I did the PSU change fast. Do you think that if I forgot one of the modular cables from the Thermaltake PSU connected to the Corsair PSU, maybe it damaged everything connected to it??

I realised that the DVD was connected to one cable and the 3 drives were connected to the same cable. And here it is, may be the reason of everything, both cables were from the Thermatake PSU (while using the Corsair one)

They are very similar and the connectors (to the PSU) are the same...

But if this was the reason, why 1 HDD survived?

parsec is offline Senior Member

You're probably right about the Thermaltake cables connected to the Corsair PSU.

There is no standard for the output connections of modular power supplies, they can be whatever the manufacture chooses as long as at the component connection end the voltages and ground points are correct. It is a sad coincidence that the modular connectors on the Thermaltake cables fit in the Corsair PSU. Apparently the outputs on the Corsair PSU are different than the Thermaltake. I know of PSUs made by the same company (Seasonic) that cannot share their modular cables, due to differences in the output rail connections on the PSU.

It's also possible that the Thermaltake SATA power cable fit into a PCI-E plug on the Corsair PSU. SATA power cables have 12V, 5V, and 3.3V lines, while PCI-E cables are all 12V lines. Even if the Thermaltake cables were connected to a SATA power output on the Corsair PSU, all it would take is the 12V line out being connected to the 5V or 3.3V inputs, to ruin the drives.

In the case of a SSD, that only uses the 5V power rail, the 12V and 3.3V connections on the SATA power cable are not connected to anything inside the SSD. I've seen this described in the data sheet of several SSDs, and I imagine this is typical of all SSDs. A 3.3V rail connected to a 5V input would not destroy a SSD (I assume), but a 12V rail connected to the 5V input of a SSD would not be a good thing. It sounds like that happened to the HDDs too, 12V on the 5V input.

The HDD that survived that was identical to the one that died was somehow spared the wrong voltage being applied to the wrong input. The Corsair PSU may have detected a problem (short circuit) in one of the damaged drives, and shut off the 12V rail before it could damage the other HDD.

The lesson here is you can never use modular cables that were not made specifically for a PSU.

Thumbs up Re: SATA not detected after PSU change

Yes... very nice description parsec. For sure it happened in that way... Thank you so much.

As you said, lesson learned for life: "re-check twice that the modular cables you are using are ALL from the new PSU".
    Result: All data lost (at least I did a backup the day before of all important data), and I have to reinstall everything again.

Anyway, thank you very very much!!

parsec is offline Senior Member

Thank you for that reply, I'm glad it made sense to you.

Sorry that some of your drives were ruined. I know it can be so much work to change cables at any time, so we want to not bother with it, just human nature.

Please be sure to check where cables must be connected to the PSU itself. I'm pretty sure Corsair uses different connectors on their cables for each type of cable, but it is always best to check when it comes to power supplies. Good luck!

Thread Information