Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XFAST RAM feature

Question XFAST RAM feature

Hi!
    I've tried to google about the XFAST RAM feature and I didn't find the information I need, not even in this forum which already has some active thread but isn't quite I was searching.

Have to say that I'm on a Z77-PRO4-M and I'm very happy with it, actually I love it. I owned an Z68 ASUS that got broken . Well, before I dig in in this topic, I have also to admit that I've tested the Asrock B75 Pro but I send it back because its lack of overclocking capabilities. Anyway, I grabbed the Z77-PRO4-M and as I was in a hurry, I didn't performance a clean install of Windows 7 64 bits, so my system and programs are identical as they were on the provisional B75. It was a nice surprise the fact that the system is consistently stable (some exceptions applies: Intel RST service doesn't never start), I opened the AXTU which had all of the sudden a much broader overclocking capabilities, that means I could go from that x38 (b75) to x45 (as I wished)... I'm not that kind of overclocking guy but I think it's a nice feature to have because you never know what it would became handy. So, the XFAST RAM section was this time the same as on the B75 so I tweaked a bit and I saw that the program created a virtual disk accordingly. After the first rebooting, it turn back to what I suppose it's the default window of this application, I have a screenshot:

XFAST RAM feature-xfast-jpg
    (or: View image: xfast)
    At some point the program showed me the message "out of memory" or something like that. I tried to clean up the disk in the same fashion anybody does with their HHD, but it didn't work (right click->properties->disk cleanup). I closed Firefox as well because I suppose the memory allocated a lot of my browser quick access information. Despite this action,the memory was still almost full and yes, it was a little space anyway, about 800mb. I stopped the XFAST RAM application and after rebooting I cannot get it work again. I don't know if this application really boast my system performance but I think it's a good idea to use some RAM instead of accessing my SSD (in opposition of a respectable member of this forum which name I've forgotten right now. He thinks the XFAST RAM function does not matter at all... In my case, I use Photoshop a lot so, why don't give it a try?).

Now I'm stuck and I cannot modify anything of the settings. The weirdest thing is that I'm getting "There is not enough memory" message even if I don't see any virtual FAST RAM disk in Window's panel control. I cannot either start or stop the program and it doesn't even appear in Windows "services" as other member of this forum kindly suggested before. Why should I do now? I have uninstall/install the latest AXTU (there's only one version ), nothing happens. Any idea? I finally would add a much general question: is this software/hardware XFAST RAM comparable with hardware with mSATA?

Thanks in advance for any tips

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: XFAST RAM feature

Quote Originally Posted by Mal de Ojo View Post
    Hi!
    I've tried to google about the XFAST RAM feature and I didn't find the information I need, not even in this forum which already has some active thread but isn't quite I was searching.

Have to say that I'm on a Z77-PRO4-M and I'm very happy with it, actually I love it. I owned an Z68 ASUS that got broken . Well, before I dig in in this topic, I have also to admit that I've tested the Asrock B75 Pro but I send it back because its lack of overclocking capabilities. Anyway, I grabbed the Z77-PRO4-M and as I was in a hurry, I didn't performance a clean install of Windows 7 64 bits, so my system and programs are identical as they were on the provisional B75. It was a nice surprise the fact that the system is consistently stable (some exceptions applies: Intel RST service doesn't never start), I opened the AXTU which had all of the sudden a much broader overclocking capabilities, that means I could go from that x38 (b75) to x45 (as I wished)... I'm not that kind of overclocking guy but I think it's a nice feature to have because you never know what it would became handy. So, the XFAST RAM section was this time the same as on the B75 so I tweaked a bit and I saw that the program created a virtual disk accordingly. After the first rebooting, it turn back to what I suppose it's the default window of this application, I have a screenshot:

XFAST RAM feature-xfast-jpg
    (or: View image: xfast)
    At some point the program showed me the message "out of memory" or something like that. I tried to clean up the disk in the same fashion anybody does with their HHD, but it didn't work (right click->properties->disk cleanup). I closed Firefox as well because I suppose the memory allocated a lot of my browser quick access information. Despite this action,the memory was still almost full and yes, it was a little space anyway, about 800mb. I stopped the XFAST RAM application and after rebooting I cannot get it work again. I don't know if this application really boast my system performance but I think it's a good idea to use some RAM instead of accessing my SSD (in opposition of a respectable member of this forum which name I've forgotten right now. He thinks the XFAST RAM function does not matter at all... In my case, I use Photoshop a lot so, why don't give it a try?).

Now I'm stuck and I cannot modify anything of the settings. The weirdest thing is that I'm getting "There is not enough memory" message even if I don't see any virtual FAST RAM disk in Window's panel control. I cannot either start or stop the program and it doesn't even appear in Windows "services" as other member of this forum kindly suggested before. Why should I do now? I have uninstall/install the latest AXTU (there's only one version ), nothing happens. Any idea? I finally would add a much general question: is this software/hardware XFAST RAM comparable with hardware with mSATA?

Thanks in advance for any tips
    First of all, how much total RAM does your PC have? I can't see that anywhere in your first post. We have no idea what your PC's hardware is, which makes this much more difficult.

Second, your screen shot of the XFast RAM screen shows that you have 167,774MB allocated to Ready Boost! That is over 167GB!! Of course you don't have that much memory, but that may be at least part of the problem. Ready Boost is a crutch for systems with ~2GB of memory or less, hopefully you don't fall into that category.

Next, you said there is only one version of AXTU? The version on the B75 Pro4 (there are four variations of ASRock B75 pro... boards) is ASRock Extreme Tuning Utility ver:0.1.126. So I don't know where you got that idea. You must install the versions from the Z77 Pro4-M page, ASRock Extreme Tuning Utility ver:0.1.328, and ASRock XFast LAN Utility ver:6.61.

Finally, while you believe your system is stable on your new board with your previous installation, clearly it isn't, if IRST won't start. Have you run the INF driver ver:9.3.0.1019 program from the Z77 Pro4-M download page? If not, Windows and any other programs and drivers think you are using a B75 chipset, not a Z77. That is at least one reason why IRST will not run. The INF file installer installs files that identify your hardware, which has now changed with your new board. You should also run the Intel Management Engine driver ver:8.1.2.1318 from the Z77 Pro4-M download page.

Have you checked Device Manager for any issues? I would not trust a Windows installation done on one mother board and then use it on another. I XFast RAM does not work even after fixing all the things I mentioned, you may never know what the problem is.

XFast RAM has nothing to do with mSATA drives, or any type of drive, so compatibility between them is a non-issue.

Hi parsec!
    Thank you for your reply. That was you when I've said "a respectable member of this forum"
    As I stated before, I switched from ASUS Z68 to ASROCK B75, in that occasion I forgot to uninstall all ASUS drivers. That was a surprise to me that at least Windows was able to start up. Obviously, after a while, I faced some freezes so I decided to performance a clean installation of Windows 7 64 bits.
    Well, the story goes almost the same, in this case I've switched from ASROCK B75 to ASROCK Z77 but I haven't do any new installation of Windows, which in my case is a hard decision to make if you consider I have so many programs and thing to do with them... A new installation of Windows means days of extra work for me. Anyway, I'm considering this option.

I have to say that:
    1-2) I have 12 gb of RAM, 2x2gb and 2x4gb Corsairs 1600mhz. My PC usage barely exceeds half of it, even in Premier, Photoshop or both at the same time, so make the most of the other half isn't a but idea to me, that's why I'm curious about the XFAST RAM feature.
    The information about XFAST RAM that you see in that screenshot cannot been changed. In other word, I don't have access to any parameter. This information seems different from the last time I was able to tweak the application. In fact, before this issue, I was able to changed the amount of memory XFAST would use, now I don't even see this option on the screen.

3) This is one of the most weirdest point because, as I stated before, that AXTU which was installed on B75 PRO3 actually worked well on the Z77. The CPU RATIO parameter, for example, changed automatically from x38 (highest) to x60 (highest... Obviously it's theoretical, when I overclock I just push the CPU from stock x35 to x45). AXTU version is the latest 0.1.328, as the screenshot shows. I don't remember exactly which version I had on the B75 PRO3 though. Anyway, I reinstalled the software but I cannot get rid of this problem.

4) The device manager looks great and for some reason "feels" better that my ASUS Z68. I have attached, for example, a 13 USB hub and ASROCK recognize all peripherals without a hitch. I've been able to install Lucid Virtu without switch HMDI output cable. ASUS Z68 "green virtualization" was a very troublesome one to me.... Finally, INFO that came with the board's installation CD is v9.3.0.1025, I tried to open but have some new message "This computer does not meet the minimum requeiments for installing the software"... Well, I actually was able to install it yesterday having the message "this version is older than you already have installed" (or something like that). I will try Intel's page...

I will keep working in this configuration. I hope I can get the XFAST RAM feature working again... If not, I'm considering serioulsy reinstall Windows . Thanks...

(UPDATE) I've reinstalled Windows, that was a clean installation must say
    The XFAST RAM feature is back!!! I need help anyway, I don't wanna mess it up one more time. I have a screenshot, so any suggestion about parameters is welcome.
    XFAST RAM feature-capture-jpg

In the other hand, I have to say that I cannot get rid of Intel RST issue ("service is not running"); also, I'm having consistently an "USB device not recognize" message at every Windows start up.

Thanks, but if you people really knew me, you might not think I'm very respectable...

I'm glad you did a clean Windows installation, I know it takes time but is well worth it, as you can see. But you seem to have new issues with a USB device, and the IRST thing is strange, but maybe not unheard of, if it's what I think it is...

But first, XFast RAM. BTW, I've read the following in the past, and see it again in my ASRock board's manual, that is:

For dual channel configuration, you always need to install identical (the same brand, speed, size and chip-type) DDR3 DIMM pairs.

That is, if you mix 2GB and 4GB (for example, and as you have done) DIMMs in each channel, then the memory in both channels operates in single channel mode. I've also read that when different DIMM capacities are mixed (like 2GB and 4GB), then only 2GB of the 6GB per channel will operate in dual channel mode. You would need to benchmark test your memory to verify that, and test again with only the 4GB DIMMs in place for comparison, but this is supposed to be a true situation or issue. I see pre-built PCs sold with 6GB or 12GB of memory on dual channel boards all the time, so most people don't know better. You may not even notice anything, speed wise.

Ok, XFast RAM. At first, I would just create the RAM disk with minimal or none of the features activated yet. Or just try System and User Temp files. That is just so you can see if it works well between reboots, etc, and if you can remove it and create it again, bigger or smaller, a test really. If you want to save the contents, then try the Backup option, but know that takes time at shutdown to write it all to disk (which I believe it will write the entire RAM disk size to a HDD/SSD, whether it is all used or not), and to restore it when you start/reboot.

IMO, putting the page/paging file on a RAM disk makes no sense. The page file was created as a substitute for RAM memory back in the "old days" when PCs had 1GB - 2GB of memory, or less. So they would run out, and the HDD was used as fake RAM. It works but of course is slow. But why put a page file into RAM, when the main point of a page file is a substitute for a lack of RAM? So put the page file into RAM, and reduce the amount the system has, and if the system runs out, it uses the page file in RAM, when it could have just used that RAM in the first place... Don't use Ready Boost, it's the same kind of thing, for to little memory.

Don't forget you must set the size of the RAM disk, and choose other options, if any, then click Apply first, and when that is done, click Start. You must reboot before Windows is happy, but I believe you can still see it before the reboot.

Next, IRST, service is not running. How or where do you see that message? Does that happen when you try to start the IRST UI in Windows, or what? What version of IRST are you using? You're using Windows 7?

"For dual channel configuration, you always need to install identical (the same brand, speed, size and chip-type) DDR3 DIMM pairs."
    Bingo!!
    Asus RIVE
    Intel 3930K WATER
    RIPJAWX2133 16GB
    SLI-Asus GTX780 TI DCII OC
    CorsairAX1200

http://www.3dmark.com/3dmv/5003339

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Hi guys,
    Thanks for the input. I didn't mean go that far, talking about single/dual channel, you know, topics a bit out of the focus (at least in the moderator's eyes ).
    Well, my correct configuration is one pair 3gb+ 1 pair 4gb= 12 gb at 1600mhz, not overcloked. As I'm thinking to use the XFAST feature, I've bought another identical (same brand, speed and so on) pair of 4gb. I would agree that few people need +6gb memory (or whatever you will argue for, 4 or 8 gb), but at certain point it's better bigger because you'll never know how much you're gonna use in some scenarios. Anyway, the 3gb+ pair is at least 4 years old, so I'm taking this as an upgrade and I don't have to be afraid about matching the dual channel because that it should happen anyway.

Personally, I've never understood the position of the dual channel stuff. I don't have the manual with me and I don't feel like google it right now. I suppose I have run Windows on single channel for years, switching to a theoretical better performance will be a interesting one to prove in my day to day computing .

About the Intel RST service, it doesn't start, "is not running" shows the icon in the taskbar. I just allowed everything that came with the mobo's cd and it is, IRST service isn't working (I've even tried Intel's webpage with no success). Anyway, what it's missing here is saying that I haven't install all Windows updates yet, this may perhaps cost me this problem.

Well, I couldn't help myself when I saw your memory configuration, and it is something that is not obvious and kinda weird, right? Plus we even had a moderator comment on it... but never mind...

Your IRST problem is actually a bug in IRST that was introduced somewhere in the version 11 line, IIRC 11.5. It happens when a board's secondary SATA controller, the ASMedia in your case (or Marvell) is enabled, and IRST 11.5 or greater is installed. Not the user's fault at all, purely an IRST problem, and somewhat annoying. It only affects the IRST Windows UI, which most people never use unless they have a RAID array. The actual IRST driver service still works fine, which we would know immediately if it didn't, drives on the Intel ports wouldn't work.

So you may:

1. Ignore it, as it only affects the IRST Windows UI
    2. Disable the ASMedia ports in the BIOS, which may not seem like a great option
    3. Try a different version of IRST

As some users know, the secondary ASMedia and Marvell SATA chips that claim to be SATA 6Gb/s, really aren't. They never match the performance of the Intel SATA 6Gb/s ports, and overall are inferior to the Intel SATA 3Gb/s ports, in terms of stability and some aspects of speed.

You could try this version of IRST: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Det...&DownloadType=

Download and run the SetupRST.exe file, which will be version 12.8, which is compatible with the Z77 chipset, and Windows 7, although we still don't know what version of Windows you are using.

Anyway, how did XFast RAM work?

Hi parsec,
    Well, I have to ignore that "service is not running". Curiously, that "thing" worked with my old ASUS Z68. I would say I don't know what that "thing" does for me anyway , I don't use weird HDD configurations neither "ghost" my disks. I think this "thing" allows you to swap disks with the system ON, I'm wondering who's gonna do that and why. That ASUS had a Marvell controller and it also was kind of troublesome one. In fact, the boot screen stopped some seconds in order to show you which disks were installed... Besides, What I have noticed since I reinstalled Windows on my ASROCKY, is that the boot screen is longer which is curious because my hardware reminds the same.

... Still the same until I get my new pair of RAM memory. They'll arrive tomorrow, I hope badly (WOW, what a nice post service we have here). Then I will change the XFAST RAM settings and post the results.

PS: another topic is Virtu which also is available on ASUS... What did that for me? I'm not pretty sure! My ASROCK also has it (another version though, called MVP) but when is available under gaming the performance actually gets worst.. And I testes every possible setting: VSYNC ON/OFF, PERFORMANCE ON/OFF, D/I/H, switching HMDI cable output, etc..
    Last edited by Mal de Ojo; 09-18-2013 at 05:58 AM. Reason: typo + PS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information