Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Problems with raid card on Asrock a75m-itx

Default Problems with raid card on Asrock a75m-itx

Hi Guys,

I've decided to move away from my hp microserver for a more powerful setup. The specs of my machine are as follows:

Motherboard: asrock a75m-itx (BIOS Version 1.60)
    Processor: AMD a8-3820
    Memory: Corsair 8GB
    HDD: Intel 320 series 120gb SSD
    Raid Card: HP P410 with 512mb and BBU
    Case: Lian Li PC-Q25

Now, the problem i am having is getting the raid card working. When booting, it gets to the raid card bios which states initializing but then restarts and does this over and over (boot loop). I know the card works as i put it back in my hp microserver and it boots fine. I have tried the following to get this working:

• Disabling onboard sata controller
    • Addon Rom display set to disable (just reboots without showing the p410 rom)
    • Tried the HP P410 without the battery backed cache.
    • Set the bios back to factory defaults

I then picked up a cheap syba pex40008 software raid card from work and the motherboard does not even recognize this card. Boots straight into windows. This card also works in the hp microserver and a pc at work.

Really appreciate some help guys.

Thanks
    Sandeep

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Problems with raid card on Asrock a75m-itx

Quote Originally Posted by s4ndz View Post
    Hi Guys,

I've decided to move away from my hp microserver for a more powerful setup. The specs of my machine are as follows:

Motherboard: asrock a75m-itx (BIOS Version 1.60)
    Processor: AMD a8-3820
    Memory: Corsair 8GB
    HDD: Intel 320 series 120gb SSD
    Raid Card: HP P410 with 512mb and BBU
    Case: Lian Li PC-Q25

Now, the problem i am having is getting the raid card working. When booting, it gets to the raid card bios which states initializing but then restarts and does this over and over (boot loop). I know the card works as i put it back in my hp microserver and it boots fine. I have tried the following to get this working:

• Disabling onboard sata controller
    • Addon Rom display set to disable (just reboots without showing the p410 rom)
    • Tried the HP P410 without the battery backed cache.
    • Set the bios back to factory defaults

I then picked up a cheap syba pex40008 software raid card from work and the motherboard does not even recognize this card. Boots straight into windows. This card also works in the hp microserver and a pc at work.

Really appreciate some help guys.

Thanks
    Sandeep
    I wonder if the HP RAID card has an Option ROM (stored with the mother board's BIOS) that of course does not exist in the A75M-ITX board's BIOS.

That the card works in the HP Microserver is not a surprise, they are made/compatible with each other from the factory. I wonder if that card is meant to be sold and work with anything besides HP products. It doesn't seem like it is given HP's product page. If there is a firmware update that extends the compatibility of this card, you might be lucky

You never said what OS you are using, that card's OS support list is all Windows Server products, and Linux Server products. None of the drivers for your A75M board from ASRock are compatible with Windows Server products, much less Linux.

The SYBA card will at least need its driver software installed before any chance it will be recognized. No entry for it in Device Manager? It does not work with Windows Server products. Plus the chances of being able to boot an OS from the card with your board are basically zero, very few PC mother boards are able to do that.

Hi Parsec,

Thanks for the reply. I tested the HP P410 in my work computer and this works fine. Also, i did quite a bit of testing with firmwares yesterday and it seems when the hp p410 firmware is downgraded to 3.66b it works fine, but that firmware does not recognize disks larger than 2tb (I have 4tb drives). I am using windows 7 and on fw 3.66b it works fine. As soon as i upgrade it, it causes a boot loop.

The syba card is not even recognized by device manager, its option rom does not appear on boot either. I tried to install the drivers for it but says no device found.

I don't want to boot off these cards as i am going to carry on booting off the ssd connected to the onboard sata controller.

Thanks

parsec is offline Senior Member

Well, thanks for saying thanks, but I don't think I helped you much, my post was much more of a why it won't work thing. I'm curious about the work computer that the RAID card does work with, as in what mother board it has.

The problem with the large HDDs sounds like the typical MBR format issue, that cannot address all the space of disks over ~2.2TB. The usual fix it to format the HDDs in GPT format, unless that RAID card has a problem with GPT formatting.

I would try contacting SYBA support and see what they say, the product page for the card has an option to submit questions.

Thread Information