Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PCI Express Active-State Power Management (ASPM) Disabled

ProBackup-nl is offline Junior Member

Default Re: PCI Express Active-State Power Management (ASPM) Disabled

Despite the new ASPM options in BIOS version P1.80B, Windows 8.1 Pro its powercfg -energy command over also results in:

Platform Power Management Capabilities:PCI Express Active-State Power Management (ASPM) Disabled
    PCI Express Active-State Power Management (ASPM) has been disabled due to a known incompatibility with the hardware in this computer.

Where are you guys getting this 1.80B version? I don't see it on their site anywhere. Would like to play with ASPM settings some I'm currently around 23W when idle.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by ProBackup-nl View Post
    Despite the new ASPM options in BIOS version P1.80B, Windows 8.1 Pro its powercfg -energy command over also results in:

Platform Power Management Capabilities:PCI Express Active-State Power Management (ASPM) Disabled
    PCI Express Active-State Power Management (ASPM) has been disabled due to a known incompatibility with the hardware in this computer.
    My questions about the "... known incompatibility with the hardware in this computer" are:

Is this statement about why ASPM is disabled an accurate conclusion? In other words, is it true?

If correct, is this mystery hardware part of the mother board itself, or something connected to the board?

Assuming this assessment is correct, if the incompatible hardware is on the board and can be disabled, ASPM might then work.

EDIT: My ASRock Z97 board PC also has this message in the powercfg -energy report, not that I'm concerned since I have nothing connected to the PCIe slots.

This message's information about the fault, a known incompatibility with the hardware, may be a worthless, general reason for this condition. I'll run the energy report on some other PCs (non-ASRock boards) but I doubt they will be different.

After looking at the new BIOS options you have, do you know if the PCIe devices you are using support ASPM? That could be the hardware incompatibility.

NerdBlerg, the 1.80B BIOS is probably a custom BIOS created for the OP, after talking with ASRock support.
    Last edited by parsec; 10-03-2014 at 03:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    If correct, is this mystery hardware part of the mother board itself, or something connected to the board?
    No PCI express cards are connected to the board.

Assuming this assessment is correct, if the incompatible hardware is on the board and can be disabled, ASPM might then work.
    With the H81 Pro BTC board I did not find any incompatible hardware when using Linux and enabling L0s and L1 for each PCI ASPM device using the setpci command.

I'll run the energy report on some other PCs (non-ASRock boards) but I doubt they will be different.
    Same opinion here, I tried 11 Intel Series 8 chipset boards ranging from H81 to Z87 and all state in their ACPI FACP table BOOT_FLAGS[4] bit that ASPM is not supported: PCIe ASPM Not supported (V4): 0x1
    "If set, indicates to OSPM that it must not enable OSPM ASPM control on this platform" (i.e. 5.2.9.3 IA-PC Boot Architecture Flags in ACPI Spec 5.1).

"If the BIOS indicates that the platform does not properly support ASPM, the operating system disables ASPM. This can be conveyed in the ACPI fixed ACPI description table (FADT) table IAPC_BOOT_ARCH flags by setting the PCIe ASPM Controls bit to 1".
    source: ASPM implementation on Windows Vista

After looking at the new BIOS options you have, do you know if the PCIe devices you are using support ASPM?
    I don't know. I just try. And yes the system does not reboot, freeze, crash, hang, outputs errors or otherwise mailfunctions when enabling ASPM. So whether the system supports it or not, if it doesn't break and it saves power (25% I have measured) it works to me. And no, I don't need support. Sometimes the word "support" reads to me like "manufacturer may expect extra inbound communication" and the manufacturer thinks "no, we don't want to put any burden on our support department, so we just say that we don't support it". To compare this to the ASRock case: ASRock doesn't support Linux, but it doesn't mean that Linux won't run (reliable) on ASRock hardware.

NerdBlerg, the 1.80B BIOS is probably a custom BIOS created for the OP, after talking with ASRock support.
    Exactly, and I am hoping for a version 1.80C BIOS that opens up the BIOS even more so that the PCIe ASPM Not supported (V4): flag can be turned to 0x0, like it is possible on Asus H81M-A with their "Native ASPM" [Disabled]->[Enabled] <- after enabling this setting the FACP "PCIe ASPM Not supported (V4)" bit was flipped.

The best you may be able to get is using the setpci command, which did work to a degree, right? Or do you expect more power savings?

I can tell you that low end processors like a Pentium G3258 I have do not support the highest C States or high package C States. My Pentium will not go into C7, and Package C State is at C3 if I remember correctly. My i5-4670K will go to C7, and C6 package C States. Given my Pentium's behavior, I can't imagine a Celeron would be different, or possibly worse is possible.

The Intel Haswell processor data sheet mentions ASPM only once or twice. The 8 series chipset datasheet has more information about ASPM, so control of it is determined by the chipset registers and BIOS, as you know. Checking the extent of the H81's support for ASPM may be a good idea, all chipsets do not have all possible capabilities.

ASRock may have provided the new options for you in that BIOS, but likely did not spend much time checking them.

Yeah it's easy to turn on ASPM with setpci for the PCIe ports but it's considerably harder to turn on ASPM for the DMI link. I proded around some and couldn't tell for sure if L0S and L1 was enabled for DMI. coreboot even seems to touch undocumented registers on the H81 to enable it so I'm not really sure what to think of the registers I am looking at. It was good to see the 1.80B screenshots has DMI ASPM control apparently.

My Pentium will not go into C7, and Package C State is at C3 if I remember correctly.
    The Haswell (socket 1150,LGA1150) Celeron can reach Package C State 6 (PC6). Any Haswell processor with integrated GPU seems to not to be able to reach the lower PC7 Package C State by spec.

Haswell package C State limit is also dependent on the load on the integrated graphics. Higher resolutions and multiple monitors prevent higher package C State transitions.

Asrock didn't email me back about the 1.80B. Disappointed...

Quote Originally Posted by NerdBlerg View Post
    Asrock didn't email me back about the 1.80B. Disappointed...
    You could try sending a PM to: ASRockRack TSD - Bill

His profile page: View Profile: ASRockRack TSD - Bill - TweakTown Forums

They may not want to be responsible for the use or results of this BIOS version, since it likely was not extensively tested and not meant for general distribution.

Also, the OP has demonstrated a deep understanding of the subject, and also the extent of his PC skills. IOW, an Alpha BIOS version is not for everyone... just sayin'.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information