Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: WiFi Module Question for Z87M OC Formula

Default WiFi Module Question for Z87M OC Formula

So I've noticed this board (Z87M OC Formula) has a slot for a WiFi Module. I'm guessing this is very similar to the ASUS Maximus VI slot for installing a half height WiFi Module like the Intel Ultimate N card. Is this correct? Does the package come with a holder to hold the WiFi Module, which fits into this slot?
    If that makes any sense...I guess what I'm trying to say, is what holds the WiFi card in the slot?
    Thanks for the help
    Last edited by Raspberry_Tusk; 09-22-2013 at 06:59 AM.

Default Re: WiFi Module Question for Z87M OC Formula

Well...I just found the answer to my own question. This board has a header the WiFi half mini card slides into, and then there is a threaded post on the motherboard which is what the supplied screw is for to secure it. This is different from the ASUS ROG Maximus VI Gene board, in that on the ASUS, there is a module that the wifi card goes into, and then that module snaps into the board. Also what is really nice about the ASRock board, is it has 3 holes drilled on the back plate for the newer cards with 3 antennas, whereas the ASUS board only has 2...which means you have to drill another hole for the 3rd antenna if you want to use the Killer-N 1202 board or Intel Ultimate-N 6300 board...or just cable tie the 3rd antenna somewhere inside the case...which of course is really cheezy.
    So in my opinion, the ASRock board is better than the ASUS board in this regards. It also has more stuff than the ASUS, like an optional CPU fan header, among other things...now if they would only start installing old style Firewire 1394 headers!
    Just reporting back if any body is interested...thanks.
    Last edited by Raspberry_Tusk; 09-23-2013 at 05:25 AM.

Thread Information