Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Problems with build, ASRock X79 Extreme 6 / Intel i7

Default Problems with build, ASRock X79 Extreme 6 / Intel i7

Readers,

First off let me introduce myself as someone that isn't educated in computers. This desk top was my first build and I got assistance from a friend and several hours of how-to videos / forum reading. I know how to do research, and I've done my absolute best to look through this forum for my answers before posting.

It's a gaming rig and I started getting BSOD (proper acronym for Blue Screen's of Death right?) while playing some games. Issues begun happening when I updated my drivers, so taking advice on this forum I decided to do a factory restart and start with a clean slate. I have all my software CDs on hand.

My first problem: After a successful Windows 7 reinstall I used my ASRock driver dvd (labeled intel-series, IIX79-14 version 1.4 15G09x1640064K) and begun installing the drivers. I was prompted to restart my computer and I'm confronted with this message:

"Driver Disk Preparer v1.07 - ASRock Incorporation, all rights reserved Model Name: X79 Extreme6/GB

Select Source:
    1. Generate the SATA diver diskette for Intel X79 Chipset for XP32
    2. Generate the SATA diver diskette for Intel X79 Chipset for XP64
    3. Exit"

This is followed by;

"Source: Generate the SATA diver diskette for Intel X79 Chipset for XP64
    Only 1.44 MB floppy drive is supported!

Error reading from drive C: DOS area: write-protection violation attempted."

My initial Google searches brought me here and I found several threads pertaining to this topic. I followed the instructions posted by authorities on the subject and have yet to bypass this step. Given, some of the responses to these threads are over my head.

Posts like this introduced me to the fact I didn't need a floppy drive, and that I could use a flash drive loaded with the RSTe driver I downloaded here and once extracted, plug the drive into one of the 2.0 USB slots on the back of my tower. I'm not for sure what to do after this step (I still return to the above quoted message upon restarting).

Further notes:

The six hours that I've been attempting in vain to fix this I have wiped my hard-drive (I have two, a small SSD for start-up, and a large typical hard-drive for storage), they are set up in a Dynamic (mode?) which I do not understand. Research was kinda of a brick wall again in that department, not sure if that is an issue.

In the end, can anyone give me a walk through on what exactly I've done? At least my computer turned on before, now I can't seem to get back to Windows.

Any advice, assistance, information, etc would be truly appreciated. I'm a Soldier in the U.S. Army and studying Anthropology, I feel like a smart man, but apparently research with no background in computer science has ended with a frustrated plea for help :)

Thank you.

Very Respectfully,

David

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Problems with build, ASRock X79 Extreme 6 / Intel i7

Welcome to the forum, and Thank You for your service to us and your country!

Since you are a soldier, I know you can take what I'm about to tell you... the only thing you've done is over thinking things, and wasted your time, sorry to say.

Then again, you were led down a dead end path by the dang DVD driver disk, that was the start of your road to nowhere. You tried to follow directions that were completely unnecessary, and in the end caused you to ruin all your good work installing Windows.

The message you saw from the driver DVD is not a standard part of its Windows driver installation procedure. The "Driver Disk Preparer" program that was run from the DVD disk, is trying to create a "Windows pre-install driver" that is stored on a USB flash drive, but unfortunately still uses the obsolete terms "driver diskette" and "floppy disk" (which can be used with Windows XP only.) The USB flash drive is used to install this SATA driver just before the Windows installation begins. That is the main and usually only purpose of that driver. The bad news is, you don't need to install this driver.

Since you had Windows completely installed, you already had a standard Windows SATA driver installed that works with your board. You can install another one later, but that can be done from a different driver installation program on the DVD, or downloaded from your board's download page.

So all your work, particularly wiping your drive, was not necessary, unless your Windows installation was damaged. What happened was when you rebooted your PC, your DVD drive was the primary boot device, since I assume your Windows 7 installation source was a DVD disk as well, correct? Windows knows better than to boot from the installation disk again after an installation, but the ASRock driver disk does not. You opened that ASR disk in Windows to install the drivers, but on the reboot you booted from the ASRock disk, whose default action in that case is to create the driver installation USB drive, since it assumes you have no Windows installation to boot from, why else would you boot from that disk?

Which leads me to, are you familiar with a mother board's BIOS/UEFI interface? That you start by pressing the Del or F2 key when you turn on the PC? It is described in your board's manual, which I highly recommend you use, particularly for a first time PC builder. The BIOS/UEFI user interface has several screens or pages, one of them is called Boot. It has a setting that selects which devices (disk drive, DVD drive, etc) the board looks at to find something to boot from. It also allows you to select the order that the devices are checked for something to boot from.

Your DVD drive was first or higher up in the order of devices checked for something to boot from, instead of the disk drive you just installed Windows on. If that disk drive was first or before the DVD drive in the boot device order, your entire ordeal would have not happened. The board would have found your Windows installation on the disk drive, and booted into Windows. You would have never seen that message that was really from the ASRock DVD driver disk. Just giving you the facts/reality of the situation, understanding is more important than candy coating the truth IMO, and I think you would prefer things that way. I hope this makes sense to you, if not ask anything you'd like to be explained more or better.

Regardless, time to start over and forget all this. Here is what I suggest you do this time to install Windows:

Since your SSD will be the drive you install Windows on, do not connect any other disk drives to the PC when you install Windows. The DVD drive must be connected if you are using a Windows installation disk, that is fine, but your HDD should not be connected when you install Windows. Actually, all you need to do is remove the SATA power cable from the HDD so it won't be on. I'll skip the details about why this is better, but not really required, for now. Trust me, it is the best way to do the Windows installation.

I don't understand how your drives were set to "Dynamic mode", was that in Windows? That is unnecessary, if it is what I think it is.

Your SSD needs to have nothing on it from your earlier installation. I don't know how you "wiped" your drives as you mentioned, but it is not good to do some of the HDD-style "wipes" on a SSD. Explain that to me please. You can start fresh with your SSD during the Windows installation by clicking on New on the screen where you choose the drive for Windows, which allows you to format the SSD.

Install Windows as you did previously, and then use the driver DVD to install the drivers. But you need to stop the driver disk from booting when you restart the PC, like it did last time. You do that by starting the BIOS user interface when the PC restarts, and setting your SSD as the first/primary boot device. Or when the PC is just beginning to restart, eject the driver disk from the DVD drive. It won't hurt anything if you do that.

You do not need to install the driver on the USB flash drive, per the instructions you found. Forget about that. That might be required only if you have your SATA mode set to RAID. If you don't know what RAID is, then you definitely do not need that driver, I promise you. If you were missing a basic SATA driver, your first Windows installation would not have worked, but it did, right?

Parsec,

Good morning, and thank you so much for the lengthly response. I read over it and I really appreciate you being blunt and detailed, that is exactly what I needed!

I didn't know about disconnecting the normal hard-drive and I will do that immediately after sending this message prior to starting over. That makes sense and I'm surprised I didn't gain that wisdom with all the forums I've read! I will forget (thankfully) about the usb driver step.

I'm assuming I won't connect the second storage hard-drive until the entire process is complete (mother board, video card, keyboard, mouse, and other misc drivers are complete). If I'm wrong on that assumption please correct me.

I feel a lot better now, after reading your response, I feel confident that I can do this.

Thank you again, and I will post an update when the operation is complete.

P.S. Thanks for the support in terms of the service. I've been in for nearly 12 years and it has been a positive experience overall. It sucks more often than not, but there is something about the comradely while experiencing 'the suck' with others that makes it almost entertaining. That, and the worst experiences somehow make you smile all the more in perceptive and after a few years separation.

V/R,

David

Update:

So I disconnected my hard-drive and only the SSD is connected. It is a Corsair "force" 60 GB SSD.

I rebooted with the Windows 7 install disk in the drive, changed the boot order within BIOS so that the SSD was number one, and the dvd drive was two.

The Windows install screen came up and upon clicked the custom install, the next screen that asks, "Where do you want to install Windows?" I have one option;

"Disk 0 Partition 2" (It shows 55.8 of 55.9 total size available) and it's type is labeled "Dynamic".

I get this warning when I select this option:

"Setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate an existing system partition. See the Setup log files for more information"

- Under drive options (advanced) I formatted the 20 odd gigs that were on the drive before attempting to select it as an install location.

I will be googling this message, but thought if you were looking at this thread you may respond before I find a solution.

Thanks again, wish I could buy you a couple drinks for your assistance!

A note on this partition hiccup:

"advanced options" under the before-mentioned screen has a format option, which after clicking, still has the same error message.

These articles on Tom's Hardware seem very similar to my issue but miss the mark somehow:

Here and here

Am I wrong in assuming I need to wipe this hidden partition through BIOS before beginning the installation process?

Diving right in, on the Windows install screen that asks where to install Windows, do you see a "button" to click at the bottom, right side of the screen, "New"? Click on that, which will format your SSD again, and that should give you a fresh start.

I'm not familiar with your board's BIOS, but I doubt it has an option to format a disk, no big deal.

I'm confused about the "20 odd gigs" on the SSD, but that doesn't matter. The "Dynamic" thing is still bugging me, but if you use the New option and format the SSD, it should be gone. It is very important to get everything from the first installation off that SSD, so do the New operation and then select the largest partition for Windows.

Good luck, more soon, a bit busy right now...

Good to hear from you, I really appreciate you taking the time on a busy Saturday to respond.

I've attached a quick photo I took of the screen you spoke of. The 'New' option is there, but greyed out for me. Hitting the format button doesn't make it become available.

I have a funny feeling that when the build was initially done a few months back my buddy (who i cannot contact for assistance or an explanation) did something. When I was looking in Disk Management before doing this install process I saw there was a unformatable area on my disconnected hard-drive, is it possible this Partition is located on the other drive?

That doesn't make sense to me seeing that I'm starting over with a clean slate, I'd assume formatting this and not having that one connected would allow me to have a fresh start.

I just want this to work, if I need to just use the standard HDD and ignore the SSD I'm ok with that.
    Attached Images Attached Images Problems with build, ASRock X79 Extreme 6 / Intel i7-image-jpg 

When and where did you format the SSD again? That's good, but just asking. I can't see the entire screen in your picture, but you may have meant to show only that part of it, I don't know.

Given the "Dynamic" label, I'm wondering now if your buddy created a SSD caching setup for you, called Intel Smart Response Tech (SRT). Did you originally have Windows on the HDD, and then add the SSD to the PC? That is a form of RAID, using two or more drives together as one. That would make sense and explain your situation. Windows won't format the SSD because it expects the two disks working as one to be on the PC, and they aren't. NOT that I want you to put the HDD back, since you said you wiped that, correct? I may be wrong about this but it is possible.

Notice how the partition you see in the Windows installation screen is labeled Partition 2, which means there are two. Normally it would show the other one, but the other is for the SRT/RAID disk setup, and is "hidden". Windows won't remove the hidden partition.

So it looks like you'll need to do a Secure Erase of your SSD. That is NOT the same as writing '0' to all the space of a HDD, don't do that to a SSD. I don't know if Corsair has a utility to perform a Secure Erase, check their forums, etc for that.

Sorry but must go for now, back later, good luck!

Good to hear from you again.

You must be correct that some sort of pairing was established initially between the SDD and HDD. I am not able to quote from anything but memory, but there was a partition on the HDD that I was not able to remove via disk management when windows was installed.

So reseting this pairing.

You mentioned Secure Erasing, I'm assuming that would clear the SSD and it will act as if it was just out of the box? Once the whole process is complete and we replace the HDD into the computer, is there going to be problems with the partition? Pardon my use of 'pairing' and 'partitions' I'm the first to admit my vocabulary with this field is lacking :)

Per your suggestion, I found this walk through of Secure Erasing on Corsair:

How To Secure Erase Corsair SSDs With Parted Magic

Should I go through this process?

- David

Sorry to disappear on you... and your terminology is fine, since it made your point.

Yes, a SSD Secure Erase (SE) will reset it to a fresh state, nothing will remain on the drive. Actually, it will be so fresh that you may need to format it during the Windows installation, if Windows won't do it automatically. Assuming that my theory about the use of SRT on those two drives is correct, a SE is the only thing that will clean up that offending partition.

You are also correct about the partition on the HDD, which I think is what you are referring to. But that partition (or actually two... believe it or not) was created when you installed Windows with both the SSD and HDD on the PC, your first try that worked and then was messed up by that message, etc. Windows has a nasty habit of putting what is called the MBR partition on another drive, other than the main Windows target drive, if another drive is available, and it was at that time. BTW, that partition on the HDD may cause confusion when you connect it back to the PC when Windows is installed on your SSD, that will need to be fixed somehow.

Also, the 20GB partition on the SSD you mentioned is what tipped me off about the SRT thing, since the default size of a partition on the SSD (if it is big enough) will be ~40GB. So I think at one point you actually might of had two Windows installations on those pair of drives.

So do the SE on the SSD and try your installation again. Any questions, etc, post here please. I'll be away for a while today, but back later, good luck!

Thread Information