Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: HELP!!! AsRock x79 Extreme 9 (Boot Failure PST Code 62) HELP!!!

Default HELP!!! AsRock x79 Extreme 9 (Boot Failure PST Code 62) HELP!!!

Need help from the pro's! I rebooted my system last night after shutting down like normal and I my board runs through the post code cycle all the way to the end it seems and gets stuck on post code 62.....

Things I have already tried to resolve: Pulled CMOS battery, Cleared CMOS with reset button SEVERAL TIMES, Removed my PCIE Boot drive, Tried booting with only 1 stick of ram in slot 1, disconnected all periphierals except video card and 1 stick of ram still runs through the post code cycle and gets stuck on 62

When it boots initially it shows an AsRock splash screen however I never get into the Bios, it shows splash then the sceen goes flashes a single cursor for a few seconds like 2 to 3 seconds then completely black screen and stuck on post code 62.

The only thing I haven't done is completely remove my video card cause my entire system is water cooled and that is a PAIN :) but Im sure that's probably my next step.... WHAT do you guys suggest or think?

thanks!

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: HELP!!! AsRock x79 Extreme 9 (Boot Failure PST Code 62) HELP!!!

POST code 62 is: Installation of the South Bridge Runtime Services

Your board, like all modern Intel boards, only has one CPU support chipset, in your case the X79. So any reference to "North" or "South" bridge means the chipset. The simple fix that is suggested is clearing the CMOS, which you have done.

This may be hard to diagnose. Is your X79's fan running? Any idea of that chip's temperature before this happened?

I don't see this as a memory issue, since the memory controller is in the CPU.

The problem could also be a failing or failed drive on one of the Intel SATA ports, unless this error includes both of the Marvell SATA chips on your board. You said you removed all peripherals, did that include drives?

I don't see your video card causing this problem, but who knows. If you had another video card that you could try without removing the other one, but that probably wouldn't work. If your card was dead you should get nothing on the monitor.

Not much info about the rest of your system parts.

also try a 24hour CMOS clear, maybe list your full system specs? I assume you have a custom water cooler, my mind reading skillz are depleted.
    Asus RIVE
    Intel 3930K WATER
    RIPJAWX2133 16GB
    SLI-Asus GTX780 TI DCII OC
    CorsairAX1200

http://www.3dmark.com/3dmv/5003339

Thanks for the replies:

Motherboard: asrock extreme 9 latest bios 3.60, chipset board is COMPLETELY H20 cooled...

CPU: 3960x base clock currently or was before the no post
    Case: case labs m10
    Power supply:ultra x3 1600 watts
    2x Standard Sata DVD BURNES R/W
    32gb DDR 3 1600 Kingston 8x4gb
    1x OCZ PCI-E sata HD 240gb boot drive config 0
    1x OWC PCI-E 480gb (slave program storage drive) config 1
    1x Western Digital 2TB sata 32cache sata internal storage drive (EVERYTHING)
    Video: EVGA GTX TITAN SUPERCLOCK. Ver base settings no OC...

Water cooling comments:
    2 x. Swiftech 655mcp pumps
    2 resivours 1 with flow control
    2x triple DANGER DEN BLACK ICE 120's complete loop is ran in 1 single loop.
    CPU block is heatkiller 2011 all cooper
    Ram is all under water as well forgot the blocks name hardly important for this issue. Lol

Hope all these specs help diag the issue! Any questions please do ask an thanks to all for advice an support!! On dumb questions are the ones not asked!

About all you can do is start removing your drives from the PC, but do so simply by removing power from them so they are not active. You probably cannot do that with your PCI-E drives, that would need to be physically removed. You could try one or more at a time, and see if you can get past that error. The OCZ PCI-E drives are known to have more than their fair share of problems. You should simply check that the PCI-E drives are connected/seated correctly. I would do this long before removing the video card, which does not seem to be the problem.

Again I will ask, do you know what the X79 chipset temperature was before you had this problem? Did you remove the X79's fan to fit a water block to the chipset? If so, did you verify appropriate temperatures for the chipset?

Any chance of liquid leaks anywhere that damaged the X79 chipset, or anything else on the board?

All we can go on is that POST code, indicating that the last POST process started was Installation of the South Bridge Runtime Services. Since that did not finish, that is the where the issue should be, and the closest thing to a "Southbridge" you have is the X79 chipset, that provides the Intel SATA ports, some of the PCI-E lanes, and USB support.

Parsec: thanks for your reply again. As for south bridge temps or chipset temp at time of failure honestly don't have a clue but when I first built the system temp where between 35 to 45c depending on entire system load but never saw more then 45c on the sata chipset. I will check my PCIE card yet again I actually removed the ocz card once already an post code error was the same with that card removed. However I didn't at the time remove my second PCIE card I have already unplugged all sata powered items. Ill keep u posted an thanks again!

A temp of 45C for the X79 is quite cool so that should not be the problem.

Personally, I killed a Southbridge chip (Intel ICH10R) with a DIY heatsink I tried to put on it, I assumed I cracked it with to much pressure. No POST codes on that board so I can't compare that with yours. Never made it into the BIOS on that board even booting with a PCI-E card SATA interface.

Usually drive problems cause an A2 error, not a chipset error, which is why I suspect your X79 chipset.

Interesting I did install a home made DIY kinda bracket on my chipset heat sync the one that controls the sata ports wonder if I over tightened it from the go an the board finally gave out cause weird my computer was fine one day I shut it down the next day it boots to post code 62... Hmmm Intresting point. I dread tearing this thing down lol took me a week to set it up lol

Update!!! 62 post code mystery resolved! So turns out my OWC PCIE card was failing or something. I ended up removing all my drives an booting each time as I added 1 add in card at a time. When I got to the OWC PCIE I got post code 62 an no boot! When I removed the card my issues where resolved system running flawless with the card removed :) now the question is why would that card cause the 62 post code an why the heck did it fail?! Lol anyway thanks for all the replies!

Great, I thought a good test would be to remove those PCI-E drives. So do you think that OWC is dead?

The X79 chipset does provide some PCI-E lanes, although most are provided by the CPU. Depending on which PCI-E slot the OWC card was using, if that slot was connected to the X79 chipset, the card failure was causing it to fail to initialize. Exactly why, who knows, but it seems like something fairly major since it kept the chipset from starting.

Does that card have its own driver? Some do, try a reinstall, and contact OWC for help and replacement (hopefully) of that card. How do you like it otherwise?

Thread Information