Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ASRock Z87E-ITX using msata as a boot drive ?

Default Re: ASRock Z87E-ITX using msata as a boot drive ?

I've been using an mSATA SSD as a boot drive since day one with this board without issues.
    That's very reassuring. Is there not a risk of overheating with the mSATA tucked away on the underside of the board?

ChronoDog is offline Junior Member

Hardly.

The highest I've ever seen the mSATA SSD's temperature go was about 50C, and that's in a completely cramped case with no airflow and an overclocked 4770K burning a hole through the board at 95C :)

Thank you guys for all the information . I'm buying this motherboard next week, I have never used a ssd as a cache drive before. Could any of you please explain how to configure it to do that. I have downloaded the manual but as far as I can see it is just a predefined software setup. What I would like to know is when I'm using a mSata drive do I need to plug and normal hdd into the same Sata port 4 which is shared by the mSata for the cache feature to work? Or is Sata port 4 dedicated to either the mSata or normal Sata? Is there any Bios setup required apart from the AHCI that seems to be set? Any information would be appreciated thank you. My goal is to have as much storage as possible. Planing on having one SSD and five 3TB drives.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sutherja View Post
    Thank you guys for all the information . I'm buying this motherboard next week, I have never used a ssd as a cache drive before. Could any of you please explain how to configure it to do that. I have downloaded the manual but as far as I can see it is just a predefined software setup. What I would like to know is when I'm using a mSata drive do I need to plug and normal hdd into the same Sata port 4 which is shared by the mSata for the cache feature to work? Or is Sata port 4 dedicated to either the mSata or normal Sata? Is there any Bios setup required apart from the AHCI that seems to be set? Any information would be appreciated thank you. My goal is to have as much storage as possible. Planing on having one SSD and five 3TB drives.
    You've got some reading to do, since explaining it here would be rewriting the Intel IRST Accelerating the Storage System guide that is part of the IRST software help guide. It is not short. An excerpt:

Cache Device Properties

The Accelerate area is only available if the following requirements are met:
    ■ Processor: Intel® Core™ i3, Intel® Core™ i5, or Intel® Core™ i7
    ■ Operating system: Microsoft Windows* Vista 32-bit Edition and 64-bit Edition, Microsoft Windows* 7 32-bit Edition and 64-bit Edition or later, and Microsoft Windows* Server 2008 32-bit Edition and 64-bit Edition.
    ■ Controller: Intel® Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA RAID controller hub and Intel® Mobile Express Chipset SATA RAID controller hub.
    ■ BIOS: RAID-Ready system and Accelerate feature bit is set.
    ■ An internal SATA solid-state drive is present with a minimum capacity of 18.6 GB.
    ■ A hard disk or volume (array members must all be hard disks) is eligible for acceleration.
    ■ No recovery volume is present.

Limitations
    • The maximum cache size is 64 GB.
    • Only one disk or volume at a time can be accelerated per system.
    • If two volumes are present on a single array (they share the same array of disks), neither volume can be accelerated.
    • Once a volume is accelerated, a second volume cannot be added to the same array.
    • Once a solid-state drive is configured to be used as a cache device, the option to create a recovery volume is no longer available. Recovery volumes do not support system configurations with multiple volumes.
    • The maximum number of volumes allowed in the storage system is four. In the event that the combination of the solid-state drive configuration (data volume and cache volume) and system or data volumes reaches the limit, the application will not allow the acceleration of a disk or volume. You will need to delete one of the data volumes present in the storage system to enable acceleration on a disk or volume.

You must use RAID mode, and always use RAID mode. That means install Windows in RAID mode, you can't change to RAID mode easily if you install Windows in AHCI mode, etc.

The drive meant to be cached is the OS HDD. You can only cache/accelerate one HDD per PC. The mSATA drive shares SATA port 4, so when the mSATA drive is installed, SATA port 4 no longer works. Any other Intel SATA port can be used with a HDD for SSD caching.

Install Windows in RAID mode, and then install the Intel IRST software on your board's download page. You then run the IRST UI in Windows, and click on the Help button. A new window opens with all the IRST guides for the various options. Look for the Accelerating the Storage System entry.

A very simple, cookbook set of instructions won't allow you to understand and appreciate a caching system.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information