Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Unusual USB 3.0 behavior on ASRock X58 Extreme6/A/ASR motherboard

Default Unusual USB 3.0 behavior on ASRock X58 Extreme6/A/ASR motherboard

I was wondering if anyone else had had a similar unusual experience that I had with the ASRock X58 Extreme6/A/ASR motherboard that I just had.

I was transferring my media files, mostly my ripped .mp3 and .flac files from my old 2TB hard drive to a new 4TB hard drive. The old drive is a SATAII 7200 RPM Seagate hard drive and the new drive is a SATAIII 5900 RPM Seagate hard drive. I have a lot of music I've ripped over the years from my CDs and bought from Amazon. I was using the HighPoint RocketStor RS5122B Storage Dock to transfer the files.

This is an incredibly useful storage dock in that it can hold 2 drives and uses 2 USB 3.0 connections to maximize speed. Also, it can handle 4TB hard drives.

Now, here's the unusual behavior. I was copying the files from my old drive to my new drive (using TeraCopy) and it showed a transfer speed of about 84-86 MB/s. This was about what I had experienced in the past using USB 3.0 on this motherboard so I was not surprised. However, I received an email notification to check something out and so I opened Google Chrome to get to the website. I noticed that TeraCopy suddenly showed that the transfer speed had increased to 114 MB/s. The transfer speed stayed increased, between 112-116 MB/s.

This intrigued me so I closed Google Chrome and the transfer rate dropped again back to 84-86 MB/s. So, I decided to see if browsers were causing this behavior. I opened IE and the transfer speed increased again, but not by as much as Google Chrome had increased it. And it was also very erratic; as high as 106 MB/s and as low as 65 MB/s. Therefore, I opened Google Chrome again and again the transfer speed increased to the 112-116 MB/s range. I have my own static homepage in HTML that has all the links I normally use; which means it doesn't connect to the Internet. Therefore, I connected to a variety of websites to see if the transfer rate would drop, but it did not.

I'm asking that if anyone else with a ASRock X58 Extreme6/A/ASR motherboard and ASRock tech could check to see if they can replicate this issue/benefit.

Thank You

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Unusual USB 3.0 behavior on ASRock X58 Extreme6/A/ASR motherboard

Have you monitored your CPU speed/frequency while you are copying files and then running the various browsers? Are CPU power saving features enabled in the BIOS?

PC enthusiasts that enjoy benchmarking SSDs have discovered that any type of I/O on or between devices causes very little CPU usage with modern, fast multicore CPUs. They've also found that at low/idle CPU states, when CPU power saving options are activated, disk I/O performance is reduced, meaning slower transfer speeds. A trick to overcome that is to run a program and cause CPU usage, which brings it out of its low frequency power saving states, the result being higher scores and data transfer speeds in benchmarking programs.

I'm guessing you are seeing a similar affect when you run the various browsers. It seems that Chrome is more CPU intensive than IE, or that IE is more CPU efficient, or IE is also stealing I/O performance from your drives.

A test you could do is go into the BIOS and disable some or all of the CPU power saving options, and see what your transfer rates become.

Default Re: Unusual USB 3.0 behavior on ASRock X58 Extreme6/A/ASR motherboard

Thanks for answering and I'm sorry about my late reply.

I ran various programs that differ the CPU usage and also ran multiple programs simultaneously. Some programs were disk I/O intensive and others were not, some were CPU intensive and others were not. It seems to be Chrome and/or ASRock's USB 3.0 chipset related though.

As I stated before, USB 3.0 performance drops when running IE versus Chrome. When I ran BOINC (Seti@Home), which is CPU intensive, alone with USB 3.0 transfers, the transfer rate dropped to the 84-86 MB/s rate. When I ran BOINC with Chrome, the transfer rate again increased to the 112-116 MB/s transfer rate. Various disk I/O intensive applications were run, but they didn't really apply, since the transfers were occurring on two hard drives that had no other I/O going on, besides transferring my music files.

This is really a mystery. I was wondering why the transfer rates were so slow, because when I connected the same HighPoint dock to my Sandy Bridge-based laptop, the transfer rate between the two external hard drives was again 112-116 MB/s, without running Chrome. Therefore, it has to have something to do with the drivers for the ASRock motherboard's USB 3.0 chipset implementation.

Anyway, thanks for your suggestions. I guess I'm just going to have to run Chrome when I transfer files. LOL

Thread Information