Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ASRock H87M-ITX SATA Mode: AHCI vs. RAID

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: ASRock H87M-ITX SATA Mode: AHCI vs. RAID

Slow down dude, you are making mistakes because you're upset...

First your board and H87 chipset supports RAID just fine. Your board's download page has the Intel RAID drivers and utility, which are also on the board disk.

Second, it is NOT the board's fault that RAID must be selected before you install Windows. That is RAID 101 material, any and ALL mother boards made by anyone are exactly the same. Sorry to say, this is the classic RAID noob mistake, seen it a thousand times...

There is a Windows registry edit that can be done to change to RAID after Windows is installed, but I'm not comfortable suggesting that to you, particularly since you have not listed any of your system details.

The Z87 is only one SATA controller, as is the H87. Multiple SATA controllers are not needed for RAID.

Quote Originally Posted by parsec View Post
    Slow down dude, you are making mistakes because you're upset...
    True!

that RAID must be selected before you install Windows
    Not so sure this is true, see below.
    -----------------------------------

Success with the ASRock H87M mATX RAID 1

1) Installed Win7 OS on SSD.
    2) Formatted the 2 HDD's.
    3) Booted into BIOS > Advanced Tab > Storage Configuration > SATA Mode Selection Select RAID
    4) Save Changes and Close > Reboot > CNTL +i to select RAID Configuration > Configure RAID 1 for HDD's
    5) Save Changes and Close > Reboot onto Bios > Advanced Tab > Storage Configuration > SATA Mode Selection Select AHCI
    6) Reboot to Windows, only SSD drive is visible in widows.
    7) Go to Disk Manager and a ONE 1.3TB unallocated HDD was showing. Right Click >New Simple Volume > Formatted
    8) Boom New Volume (D:) shows in Windows
    Profit!

Before after step 4 Windows wouldn't boot back into windows if I didn't set the SATA Mode Selection back to AHCI.

Also Step 7 would should TWO 1.3TB unallocated HDD's if I deleted the array before Changing SATA Mode Selection to AHCI in the BIOS.
    Now when restart the computer I do not get a chance to CNTR +i for the RAID Configuration anymore (I did on my old set up) nor does it show the health status.

How do I know this worked?
    The Properties for the new volume (D:) Disk Manager > Right Click > Properties is: Intel Raid 1 Volume SCSI Disk Properties
    I'm still 20% uncertain.
    Put two word documents in Volume (D:) powered down the computer, disconnected power and one SATA cable from one of the HDD's in the RAID. Powered back on computer and the word documents are in Volume (D:)
    Powered down again same process with the other drive and the word documents are there.
    So it is writing to both Disks.
    I'm still 10% uncertain............

So what was the big hang up for me here. Seem I thought I had to leave the SATA Mode Selection in RAID after setting up the RAID. Guess it's just used for creating the RAID.

Thanks for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by Phaze13 View Post
    True!

Not so sure this is true, see below.
    -----------------------------------

Success with the ASRock H87M mATX RAID 1

1) Installed Win7 OS on SSD.
    2) Formatted the 2 HDD's.
    3) Booted into BIOS > Advanced Tab > Storage Configuration > SATA Mode Selection Select RAID
    4) Save Changes and Close > Reboot > CNTL +i to select RAID Configuration > Configure RAID 1 for HDD's
    5) Save Changes and Close > Reboot onto Bios > Advanced Tab > Storage Configuration > SATA Mode Selection Select AHCI

6) Reboot to Windows, only SSD drive is visible in widows.
    7) Go to Disk Manager and a ONE 1.3TB unallocated HDD was showing. Right Click >New Simple Volume > Formatted
    8) Boom New Volume (D:) shows in Windows
    Profit!

Before after step 4 Windows wouldn't boot back into windows if I didn't set the SATA Mode Selection back to AHCI.

Also Step 7 would should TWO 1.3TB unallocated HDD's if I deleted the array before Changing SATA Mode Selection to AHCI in the BIOS.
    Now when restart the computer I do not get a chance to CNTR +i for the RAID Configuration anymore (I did on my old set up) nor does it show the health status.

How do I know this worked?
    The Properties for the new volume (D:) Disk Manager > Right Click > Properties is: Intel Raid 1 Volume SCSI Disk Properties
    I'm still 20% uncertain.
    Put two word documents in Volume (D:) powered down the computer, disconnected power and one SATA cable from one of the HDD's in the RAID. Powered back on computer and the word documents are in Volume (D:)
    Powered down again same process with the other drive and the word documents are there.
    So it is writing to both Disks.
    I'm still 10% uncertain............

So what was the big hang up for me here. Seem I thought I had to leave the SATA Mode Selection in RAID after setting up the RAID. Guess it's just used for creating the RAID.

Thanks for the help!
    The moment you changed back to AHCI mode from RAID, you had no RAID array. You cannot turn RAID on and off and have a RAID array working.

You might have been lucky with the RAID 1 array, since RAID 1 is mirroring, saving two copies of whatever files you have. Still not sure how you had copies of a file on both disks, since you never booted Windows in RAID mode, I have a hard time believing that, sorry to say.

If you have installed the Intel IRST driver package in Windows, the Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver and utility ver:12.8.0.1016 from your board's download page, you'll have the Intel RAID utility that runs in Windows. You'll find an entry in Control Panel for Intel Rapid Storage Technology. Run that and see what it tells you about your RAID 1 array.

Of course the PC would not boot when you set the SATA mode to RAID, you installed your OS in AHCI mode.

I agree with you. I'm still not 100%. Although the files were written to both disks. I Adm copying a few hundred gigs of files over to the new volume from backup. When I get home from work tonight I will check again if they were written to both disks.

I also took a screen shot or two of disk manager, will try to post them add well.

Now maybe they are not in a true array RAID the files werw written to both disks. I noticed when I originally broke array before removing them from the old machine that they did not show up in windows after that on the old machine. I moved bith of them over to the new machine and the Volume showed in windows like one disk with all files there even though there were to HDD's. I believe this is because they were identical. I did not try writing any files to the volume to potentially see if it wrote to both disk.

I took one HDD out and the volume showed up just like when both were there. I did this for both (same) One at a time I formatted in disk manager, PT them both back in and had two new volumes with there own assigned drive letter.

That's when I started trying to create new RAID array on the new machine.

Fast forward to now. No the new drive volume that I created outlined above does not show up in the windows Intel Rapid Disk Utility for Windows (Red Flag). They did show up when they were assigned there own drive volumes earlier though.

So i'm sure you are right, they are not in RAID 1, but what's odd is the properties in disk manager list them as RAID 1.

Do you think I should have done or should do:
    1) Set BIOS to RAID
    2) Reinstall OS on SSD
    3) Add 2 HDD's and create new RAID 1 volume

Thanks for your time and input. I would like this done correctly as there are years worth of photos I could potentially lose.
    Last edited by Phaze13; 01-08-2014 at 06:12 PM.

Glad to see you are still working on this! Sorry to not reply sooner, been doing... stuff.

More info, if you have not again formatted the drives in your RAID 1 array since you created it, the RAID "metadata" (data about the RAID 1 array, not the user data on the drive) is still on the drive, which is why Disk Manager sees it as a RAID 1 array.

All drives used to create a RAID array have special data describing what type of RAID (0, 1, 5, 10, etc) array that they are a part of, and other internal RAID information. That is what the Intel RAID software uses to deal with RAID arrays.

Depending on what OS you are using, there is a method of changing to RAID mode without reinstalling Windows. Here is a guide for that:

How to: Change SATA Modes After Windows Installation

Just remember, very important: Once you set your SATA mode to RAID, you must keep it that way or the RAID arrays will not work! That means if you do a BIOS update, or clear the BIOS, the SATA mode will go back to the default value (AHCI) and no RAID arrays will work. So any time you clear or update the BIOS, the FIRST thing you do when the PC restarts is go into the BIOS and set the SATA mode to RAID. I know, a pain in the buttocks, but that's the way it is.

This is another short guide for creating RAID arrays: How to: Set up RAID

Glad to see you are still working on this! Sorry to not reply sooner, been doing... stuff. [IMG]file:///C:/Users/With/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image001.gif[/IMG]
    No problem, you have been very informative.

So what do you think of this?
    Before I did the registry edit I wanted to check if the the few hundred gigs of data I wrote to the drive was on both disk. So I checked and it was.

So I followed the registry edits. msachi was already 0, iaStorV was 3 (changed to 0), and didn't have the 3rd iastor. Rebooted changedSATA Mode to RAID. Had the option to get into RAID Configure, did that and the Volume I set up before was still there. Restarted into windows, got the message to restart again before these changes take place. All Drive showed up in Windows with all files still there.

However when I reboot the RAID status shows Rebuild. If I go into the RAID Configure it says "Volumes with the status Rebuild will be rebuilt within the Operating System".

Disk Manager Properties for the RAID Volume now show the name of the Volume.
    However when I tried to run the Intel Rapid Storage Technology it seemed like it didn't launch. Tried to run it again and I got an error something like 2 instances of this cannot run at the same time. I closed it and tried to run it again and now I get the message "An unknown error occurred while running this application. If the problem persist, please retort your computer or try reinstalling the application".
    After a restart the same thing happens with the Intel Rapid Storage Technology when I try to run it.

Everything seems to be OK, I reinstalled the Intel Rapid Storage Technology from the MB disk and all is well. Says my system is functioning normally and I can see the RAID SATA_Array_0000 when I run Intel Rapid Storage Technology now.

Only concern is the Rebuild status. How long should I give the OS to rebuild?
    Think I'm good to go or should I start over and install the OS in RAID config?

Thanks again for all the help!!
    Last edited by Phaze13; 01-10-2014 at 05:16 AM.

Small update:
    Well all seemed well however I'm going to break the RAID 1 Array, format the disks and recreate it. Was hoping to avoid this.

The array rebuilt itself last night and the status is now normal however after setting up iTunes library last night it list 2 tracks for every file. I'm being it has to do with the fact I copied the files over when it was in AHCI mode but still writing to both disks. Do who knows what is really going on with the files system the way it is and how other software will deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Phaze13 View Post
    Small update:
    Well all seemed well however I'm going to break the RAID 1 Array, format the disks and recreate it. Was hoping to avoid this.

The array rebuilt itself last night and the status is now normal however after setting up iTunes library last night it list 2 tracks for every file. I'm being it has to do with the fact I copied the files over when it was in AHCI mode but still writing to both disks. Do who knows what is really going on with the files system the way it is and how other software will deal with it.
    If you've created the RAID 1 array after copying files to the drives in AHCI mode, nothing will remain on the drives, all those files are gone. The RAID 1 array was blank after it was created.

The point of RAID 1 is data redundancy. With two disks, one is the master, the other the recovery drive. Whatever file is put on the master, is also written to the recovery drive. So you have two copies of each file, song, whatever. If the master drive fails, all your data is on the recovery drive. That is how RAID 1 works.

When you say two tracks for every file, I assume you mean two entries for each single song? If so, iTunes is probably reading both drives, and listing exactly what it finds, the same song on both drives. Is iTunes RAID 1 aware, or needs to be configured to not look at the recovery drive? I don't use it, I don't know. It sure sounds like that is what is happening.

No, the raid array was created, then without deleting it I changed to AHCI mode then copied the files, which oddly enough still wrote the files to both drives even though the SATA controller was no longer in RAID.

Any way all is good. Just unistalled iTunes and deleted the library files from the iTunes program folder on the C: drive and reinstalled iTunes and reloaded the library.

Probably could have just deleted the files from iTunes program folder and reloaded the library without uninstalling iTunes.

I found a bug in this bios, you have to set boot CSM Launch storage opROM policy to uefi only, this enables Intel rapid storage in advanced, so you can set up the raid. To boot you need to set boot CSM back to legacy only. Hope this helps!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information