Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: z77 Extreme 6 Error Code A2 [Fails to finish POST]

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: z77 Extreme 6 Error Code A2 [Fails to finish POST]

Quote Originally Posted by PaperMacheMan View Post
    I'd recommend trying to post with each HDD/SDD individually in isolation.

On my board (Extreme 6) I had the same issue with an Agility 2 model and it took me a long time and comments from Parsec to finally pin it down as the culprit. I now have another SSD (Fujitsu) which is running fine. I should note the Agility SSD runs fine with other computers, it's just not compatible with this board for some reason. I'm even more confused as I thought generally SSDs tend to share the same controllers etc...

I've since discovered the same issue with a standard 2TB Seagate HDD I didn't have in the system. No matter what I do I simply can't get past the initial post screen with it plugged in (A2 error). This drive also works fine in 2 other pc's.

It does make me think that this board is particularly fussy with the HDD interface which really shouldn't be a problem on a $300 board. Whether it's Haswell related or Asrock related, I really don't care, gear this expensive should just work or be very clear about incompatibility issues (seems like they have no idea).
    No... first it was the Vertex 2 SSDs, and now Agility 2 too? Plus an HDD? Hmm... not doubting that, just saying No, not more...

I'm surprised it has taken this long to discover these issues on Haswell systems, not that I've had any on mine, but I don't use every SSD out there.

OCZ admits the Vertex 2 is not compatible, and I'm not aware of others, but that does not mean they are compatible.

As Prof Jim said, products that ignore standards are paying the price, or I should say their owners, not that they knew that would happen.

The only thing I can think of that might cause problems with drives, is using the Intel IRST version 12 drivers with Haswell chipsets, like Z87. Of course if you have drive issues when that driver is not installed, then it's not the driver. On Intel 8 series chipsets using IRST version 12 drivers, Link State power management is enabled by default. Check the Performance option where it can be disabled, a reboot is required.

Also, IRST 12 on 8 series chipsets has performance "gears", three gears when that option is enabled, set to Automatic. That is a power saving option, which really works well if your drives are compatible.

There are enough different controllers used in SSDs to make a difference. Relatively older SSDs like the Vertex 2 used the first SandForce controller that is no longer used. I'm not sure what the Agility 2 uses, but besides the controller is the firmware for the controller. If SandForce no longer provides firmware updates (pretty much a given they don't) then how are those SSDs brought up to standards? They aren't.

Now consider Intel and their new hardware and drivers. They design them to the SATA standard correctly. All the newer SSDs are also designed to those standards, and future models will be too. Then there are a few older models, no longer produced that don't meet the standards. They can't accommodate both, so which choice do they make? We know the answer...

Argh sorry, just the Vertex and Seagate were incompatible. Agility failed in all PCs and has since been RMA'd so would probably work fine.

parsec is offline Senior Member

No problem, and thanks for letting us know what happened, that's important so we have correct information about this potential issue. As I've learned, I always wait and dig deeper before saying something is broken or fine, it could go either way, just give it some time and effort. Sorry to hear that Agility SSD is bad, can you RMA from your area easily? If so, hopefully OCZ is out of Agility 2s and sends you an Agility 4, which should be better overall.

I'm curious about that Seagate 2TB drive, it can't be that old, can it? There must be plenty of HDDs out there that are older than it is, and if they all have issues with Haswell, then we ain't seen nothin' yet

For my info, are you using the Intel IRST driver on that PC? Which has an ASR Z77 EX 6 board, correct? Are you sure those drives were on Intel SATA ports, and not the ASMedia SATA ports? The ASMedia ports are the two on the "top" of the stack of ports, with the board mounted in a PC case. They can be less than cooperative at times.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information