Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Z77 Extreme6 - SSD SATA port stops working after power failure

Default Z77 Extreme6 - SSD SATA port stops working after power failure

Hi All,

I built a system with an ASRock Z77 Extreme6 motherboard in May of this year. Recently, the power went out in my house. After the power was restored I tried to boot up my computer. It gave me the "insert system disk and press a key to reboot" error that pops up when there is no boot drive. I went into the bios to find that my Samsung 840 SSD was not being detected. My WD Black and ASUS DVD drive were both being detected with no issue. I then switched the SATA port the SSD was connected to and viola, the SSD was recogized again.

Fast forward to this morning. The power went out again over night and now my computer won't boot again... I checked the bios and it's the same story. All of the SATA devices except my Samsung 840 SSD are being detected. I had to go to work and will try swapping the SSD to another SATA port to see if it will work again... My fear is that I'll eventually run out of SATA ports! Has anyone else experienced this issue? My system specs are below.

Thanks for reading my post!

System Specs:

• Motherboard: ASRock Extreme6 Z77
    • CPU: Intel Core i7 3770K
    • RAM: Patriot Intel Extreme Master - 16GB - DDR3 1866
    • Video Card 1: Radeon HD7970 Ghz Edition
    • Video Card 2: Radeon HD7970 Ghz Edition
    • Hard Drive 1: Samsung 840 - 250GB - MZ-7TD250KW
    • Hard Drive 2: WD Black - 2TB - WD2002FAEX
    • Optical Drive: ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS
    • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer Series HCG-900

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Z77 Extreme6 - SSD SATA port stops working after power failure

Unless you tested the seemingly broken SATA port your Samsung SSD was using during the first power failure (which you did not mention doing), you cannot yet conclude that the SATA port is truly broken.

An OS drive that loses power when it is in use tends to become stuck or frozen, since it is usually performing an I/O operation. Storage drives are just idling along, or may have even gone to sleep, depending on your settings in the OS.

I doubt any of the SATA ports are no longer working. Switching the SSD to another port just gave it a fresh start, after a more normal powering down, via the power button.

Was the SSD on an Intel SATA port, or the ASMedia SATA ports during the first power loss? A power loss is different than a power surge or spike due to lightning, so nothing was damaged.

I've never had a board damaged by a power loss.

Thread Information