Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Should motherboard drivers on DVD be installed before or after Windows Updates?

Default Should motherboard drivers on DVD be installed before or after Windows Updates?

With regard to motherboards and hardware drivers, it is usually the case that the motherboard software provided on DVD is outdated.

So, is it always best to install those drivers first, and pick up the newer versions on the Web during or after installing any or all Windows Updates? Or should I find the newer versions at ASRock and install them right away? Or should they be installed during or after installing Windows Updates?

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Should motherboard drivers on DVD be installed before or after Windows Updates?

If possible, download the latest drivers from your board's download page to a USB drive, or even a storage drive you plan on using in the PC. Of course you must then install that drive after Windows is installed, to avoid the MBR being put on it or another drive. I never use the board's driver disk, but mainly because it may install more things than I want it to, not because the drivers are older. New drivers are not always better, some even have bugs the previous versions do not have.

I want control over everything that is installed, so I allow no automatic updates of any kind, and all Windows updates must be chosen by me first, but that's just me.

The mother board drivers are more basic than general Windows updates. If you don't install the board's INF/chipset installer before anything else, all the boards components are not identified, and other drivers may not install correctly.

For Intel boards, run the INF installer first and then the IME installation program. No particular order after that, but drivers should be done before Windows updates IMO.

Thread Information