Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Computer randomly restarting after motherboard switch

Default Computer randomly restarting after motherboard switch

I replaced a PVM900M motherboard with an ASROCK G31M-GS motherboard as the CPU was not compatible with former (wolfdale).

After the switch, i installed windows 8 and it seemed to work fine until constant restarts were seen. My CPU fan was horrible hence I changed it for a better one with thermal paste and all.

Then the set up some settings in the BIOS (by guessing) and after 1 or 2 restarts (auto), it became stable.

However now, it seems to have started again and I do not know the reason.
    I tried to update the BIOS but it seems I have the latest one (1.9) but I re-flashed it anyway.

Now when i set the BIOS to default, it restarts more often but with some tweaking, restarts are much less to around 2-4 times a day.
    I do not know the reason as it seems that the hardware IS compatible or else such would not occur.

When the PC was stable, I used to play high demanding games such as AC3 and Batman Arkham. Now using something as simple as Notepad++ may cause a restart. Even on idle, it restarts.

My CPU temps at idle do not go above 40c and GPU above 50c.

If there are any other specs you require, please mention (with appropriate software if possible),

Thank you very much

FROM SPECCY (windows 8)
    Operating System
    MS Windows 32-bit
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 @ 2.80GHz 38 C
    Wolfdale 45nm Technology
    RAM
    3.0GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 326MHz (5-5-5-15)
    Motherboard
    ASRock G31M-GS. (CPUSocket) 39 C
    Graphics
    DELL S2209W (1920x1080@60Hz)
    NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450
    Hard Drives
    313GB FUJITSU MAXTOR STM3320820AS ATA Device (SATA) 43 C
    488GB Seagate ST500DM002-1BD142 ATA Device (SATA) 38 C
    Last edited by Shakir Moledina; 10-15-2013 at 06:15 AM.

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Computer randomly restarting after motherboard switch

If you are sure you're not getting restarts due to CPU temperature issues, then it might be your drivers.

Your board's download page does not have any Windows 8 drivers. What are you using for drivers? Just the standard Windows 8 32 bit drivers?

Did you get a Windows 8 compatible 32bit driver for your video card?

Did you run the INF driver ver:9.1.1.1020 installation program from your board's download page?

Default Re: Computer randomly restarting after motherboard switch

CPU - that was my first guess so I changed the fan and on stress the temp doesn't rise above 51

Drivers yes the standard ones are being used and its Nvidia so definitely got the compatible win 8 ones.

Currently it has decreased by me removing the second hard disk and replacing my PSU with an Omega 550W.

However after installing something from Word 2013, as soon as I opened the installer it restarted. Then after using for a few minutes (after the restart) it happened once more and now not.

I cannot determine whether it will happen again or not though previously with the old hardware and settings, it used to restart during BIOS and even before it for like 2 or 3 times.

Let me run the INF drivers but its going to difficult to tell currently whether the issue is solved immediately. I'll try connecting my 2nd hard disk again.

Thread Information