Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Upgraded to Z87 Pro4 now USB doesn't work(works in BIOS)

Default Upgraded to Z87 Pro4 now USB doesn't work(works in BIOS)

I have scoured the internet in search of a solution. I have seen similar problems, but the fixes do not work for me. I had an MSI board and switch to a Z87 PRO4 and can't get past the Windows log-in screen. I have a USB mouse and keyboard.

I have tried:
    Plugging into every USB 2.0 slot(even tried 3.0's)
    Using a ps/2 adapter for my mouse and keyboard
    Cleared CMOS
    Flashing bios to 1.70
    Easy driver install(first time had an error, noticed region was set to Europe for some reason, second time on USA server everything went fine, but problem still exists)

I appreciate anyone's knowledge, thanks!

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Upgraded to Z87 Pro4 now USB doesn't work(works in BIOS)

What OS are you using, Windows ??

You mentioned your MSI board, and now you have the ASRock. Are you using the same Windows installation from the MSI board?

I'm not sure I understand, your mouse and keyboard are PS2, and you're using a PS2 to USB adapter, and that does not work? On all of the USB ports?

Have you tried, in the Advanced -> USB Configuration screen, to disable Legacy USB Support. Sounds wrong, I know, ASRock suggests that in some cases.

It's Windows 7 64 bit and it is the same install from the other mobo. I saw another thread saying they wiped their windows and it worked, but I really don't want to backup all those files/go through the process. My mouse and keyboard are USB and I have a USB to ps2 adapter. I have tried disabling legacy, but it makes nothing work even in BIOS so I have to clear the CMOS to actually have BIOS control again. Thanks for the response

parsec is offline Senior Member

I was afraid of that, you're using the Windows installation from your MSI board, whatever chipset, etc, that was.

The USB drivers on the MSI Windows installation are taking out your current USB hardware. That of course is just the tip of the iceberg with driver issues.

How can you do anything like install new drivers without a mouse or keyboard? You could try booting into Windows Safe mode, and hope you get your mouse back, and then fix your drivers. Otherwise, good luck with that!

Ok, wow safe mode allows usb control!(Hold F8 on start-up, for those with the same issue)... So I try to run the set-up disk and it has an error 'access in violation.' I assume this is because of safemode or that there are other MOBO drivers installed on the system. So would I be able to delete the MSI drivers and reboot and then try easy driver install in the BIOS? I feel like it's very close to working now that I have control. Thanks Parsec!

Default Solution

With the help of Parsec I have fixed the issue and found a solution.

1. Boot in safe mode(hold F8 on boot)
    2. You should have usb control
    3. Open device manager
    4. insert installation disc
    5. open the drop-down menu of 'other devices'(with '?' marks or yellow circles next to them)
    6. Right click on each one and update them. Specify to browse for the drivers yourself and set location to your disc.
    7. Update all that it will let you(mine had 2 that wouldn't update)
    8. You may need to update one twice, once in 'other devices' and another time in it's respected category(if it still has a yellow circle next to it)
    9. Reboot

Thread Information